Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

For what its worth. Scrimshaw who had his issues last pre season looks great out there today. His kicking was a standout and he looks fit and primed

Physically CJ has looked the best he has in quite a few months.

Went down for a look this morning. Was a long session and fairly warm.

Lewis said he rolled an ankle and was on the bike for a fair chunk of it.

Gunners and Seamus ran for a fair proportion on the outer wing. Was surprised with Gunners. He looked to be doing it a bit easier than Seamus.

CJ looked good and did most of it. Said he’s feeling really good.

Couple of things I noticed in the match sim and other drills:
  • Weddle is an absolute machine. Can’t believe we got him at the pick we did. A thoroughbred athlete and looked good with the 1-1 marking drills.
  • Dimma played forward.
  • Ryan looks a player. Looks comfortable already.
  • Chol had a presence up forward, albeit very laconic.
  • Newcombe looks primed for a big season. Impressed with how he covered the ground and looks in ripping shape.
I’ll add anything else of note I can remember later.

Newcombe's speed in the agility pole exercise on Instagram is unreal for a bloke of his build.

How frustrating that we'll now never know if he matches Christian Petracca's weight. At last check he was 2kgs behind him.

Think there's every chance we see Scrimma playing as a key defender again this year based on what we have seen in match simulation, including today. What did you think of the split of players during the match sim today 4P? Think they're starting to get a feel for best 25 towards intra club and praccy matches? Definitely looked it

Think there's every chance we see Scrimma playing as a key defender again this year based on what we have seen in match simulation, including today. What did you think of the split of players during the match sim today 4P? Think they're starting to get a feel for best 25 towards intra club and praccy matches? Definitely looked it
Yes, the best backs usually play against the best forwards however We do have HBF's playing everywhere. I know not a lot has been said about Stephens (sugar) but he hasn't put a foot wrong this pre-season. He has had a great pre-season so far. He is really pushing the group. In all honesty the competition for spots means not many would feel comfortable with their spot

Newcombe's speed in the agility pole exercise on Instagram is unreal for a bloke of his build.

How frustrating that we'll now never know if he matches Christian Petracca's weight. At last check he was 2kgs behind him.
Yep. Saw him at one stage run 100m full tilt (looked quick), receive the handball and bang a goal from 50m on the run. The ball makes a different sound when hen Jai kicks it, he has a hoof on him.

I thought Scrim looked really sharp today. Was strong in the air and has a lovely kick, which is something we all know.

Liked the look of McCabe. Was a lot stronger in the air than I imagined him to be. Looks to be a competitor.

Macdonald and Butler look really fit.

Ramma looked really good in the match sim stuff.

Nice to see Ky out there. Looked smaller than everyone else but so did the others like Ned Maginness when you compare it to boys on the list who have spent some time in the gym.

Another mention for Weddle. He was a good choice for the 23. Looks like Kouta already. Was one of the last to finish, doing extra running after the match sim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I called it, Scrimmers is primed to have a big year as a mobile CHB in the Peter Knights / Paul Roos / Peter Dean mould.

Anyone else a little disappointed in Newcombe? Like I know he is young but I think we all rated him as a potential leader for the next decade. To see him come back in that sort of shape is a huge worry.

To rock up in the new year looking like a Greek god and just completely crush the confidence of the rest of the guys is just incredibly selfish.

Think there's every chance we see Scrimma playing as a key defender again this year based on what we have seen in match simulation, including today. What did you think of the split of players during the match sim today 4P? Think they're starting to get a feel for best 2
Was Frosty with the more A-team looking side?
Frosty started on what looked like the "B" team and then swapped onto the "A" team

I really don't get the sensitivities around listing players weights.

For me it's even more impressive that players like Newk and Petracca can be such effective runners at 90kg plus.

I love the fact that we have some big 90kg units in our midfield now, it's not a negative to have size and weight in AFL (in fact it's usually helpful).

That’s quite staggering if he is considering Hawthorn as an option, unless Port have no interest
He no doubt loves the Hawks given he's spent most of his childhood close to the club. I'm not staggered at all but it's still bloody fantastic to hear that he's been training with the club. Hope it works out.

I really don't get the sensitivities around listing players weights.

For me it's even more impressive that players like Newk and Petracca can be such effective runners at 90kg plus.

I love the fact that we have some big 90kg units in our midfield now, it's not a negative to have size and weight in AFL (in fact it's usually helpful).
It’s clearly got to do with the AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back