Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If he was born in the US I reckon they'd be running him. Maybe Trump will appoint him head of innovation or something.
No, he will appoint him vice president

Can be hard to tell in advance though. I recently met a guy who worked closely with Graham Clark in the early days of cochlear implants. They knew it was possible to stimulate the nerves but they had no idea if they could do it in a way the brain could usefully interpret. Turned out that worked, but it was equally likely that it would have been very limited in application. No way to tell without trying.

Unknown is what should be researched. The human brain can do a pretty good job of unscrambling the right kind of signals, so just making something that the human brain could "read" had a good chance of working.

The hyperloop could be calculated using physics, which a physicist like Musk should have known.
Its like that company that was going to build a "hoverboard". They had no idea how they were going to do it, they were just cashed up wally's who had this new concept that if you can think of it , its possible.
No its not. Physics is not a fashion. They'd like to ignore it but they can't.

Unknown is what should be researched. The human brain can do a pretty good job of unscrambling the right kind of signals, so just making something that the human brain could "read" had a good chance of working.

The hyperloop could be calculated using physics, which a physicist like Musk should have known.
Its like that company that was going to build a "hoverboard". They had no idea how they were going to do it, they were just cashed up wally's who had this new concept that if you can think of it , its possible.
No its not. Physics is not a fashion. They'd like to ignore it but they can't.

Probably, but we never understand as much as we think we do. Science and engineering are two separate fields. Sometimes product engineering comes up with trade offs to get around the physical constraints.

The example they talk about in venture capital is teleportation. If a company came up with a vaguely reasonable plan for teleporting people around - even though the physics says that's probably not possible - then people would have to throw a bunch of money at them because the value of the tech would be so astronomical. Tiny percentage chance of success multiplied by gargantuan potential value still equals a number much bigger than zero.

This all looks irrational from the outside but because of portfolio theory it makes perfect sense - you lose the fraction invested in Hyperloop or whatever but if you've made good decisions then something in the portfolio succeeds big and earns out the whole fund, more than making up for it.

Probably, but we never understand as much as we think we do. Science and engineering are two separate fields. Sometimes product engineering comes up with trade offs to get around the physical constraints.

The example they talk about in venture capital is teleportation. If a company came up with a vaguely reasonable plan for teleporting people around - even though the physics says that's probably not possible - then people would have to throw a bunch of money at them because the value of the tech would be so astronomical. Tiny percentage chance of success multiplied by gargantuan potential value still equals a number much bigger than zero.

This all looks irrational from the outside but because of portfolio theory it makes perfect sense - you lose the fraction invested in Hyperloop or whatever but if you've made good decisions then something in the portfolio succeeds big and earns out the whole fund, more than making up for it.

When Elon claims to know more about manufacturing than anyone else on the planet, you can choose to believe it, or you can choose to believe he's full of hyperbole, or you can choose to believe he's delusional.

I worked for Orbital Engine company for a while, after Ralph Sarich had left and after they were no longer trying to develop the original Orbital Engine.
There were a number of side projects, and i think the company is still going in some form. Their technology was a bit like the direct fuel injection that allows the newer generation of turbo/petrol engines to run such high boost, but i think the industry found other ways that didn't include Orbital's patents and when they didn't payment wasn't straight forward.

I like your example of teleportation.
But to invest in research in teleportation, you'd need some sort of vision as to how to make it happen.
I've seen too many projects trying to sell to investors that either:
a) Won't disclose the details of how their "magic" device will work, because its top secret.
b) Make claims using faulty science.

I had the privilege of sitting through a seminar where they were trying to get investors for this one.
( 1993 article ).

Me and other people where i worked discussed it, and decided that the innovations associated with the product were not going to improve the basic piston engine technology. It was really just some clever use of gearing.
However they attracted investment in the millions over most of a decade. I wonder how much went on directors fees.

People who want to invest in technology, who don't have an understanding of the principles involved really should obtain independent advice before investing.

Its gambling. I could bet on the horses, but i really don't know anything about horse racing, so i think it would be foolish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your example of teleportation.
But to invest in research in teleportation, you'd need some sort of vision as to how to make it happen.
I've seen too many projects trying to sell to investors that either:
a) Won't disclose the details of how their "magic" device will work, because its top secret.
b) Make claims using faulty science.

I had the privilege of sitting through a seminar where they were trying to get investors for this one.
( 1993 article ).

Me and other people where i worked discussed it, and decided that the innovations associated with the product were not going to improve the basic piston engine technology. It was really just some clever use of gearing.
However they attracted investment in the millions over most of a decade. I wonder how much went on directors fees.

People who want to invest in technology, who don't have an understanding of the principles involved really should obtain independent advice before investing.

Its gambling. I could bet on the horses, but i really don't know anything about horse racing, so i think it would be foolish.
What is your point?

So, power outage since 8:57am, so there's me deciding to do some gardening, over lunch with one of the apps on the switch which was plugged into a usb battery instance, with a single light switch on to denote if power is back on or not.

I happen to be outside, as again, gardening since lunch finished, pop inside and light is on. Yay right? Check phone1 nothing, phone 2, nothing, phone 3 at this house nothing, check website on a refresh and oh a sneaky 30mins ago resolution apparently.

God Jemena are shit at their job, I mean, there's an entire reserve for friggen trees in the way FFS, then there's an aquatic centre with a gym and open air tennis courts attached, how about a goddamn update when you're on the other side of these things with loud machinery?

On the plus side, now that I have power again, I am so not spending 2 hours at work only to leave again, so time to chillax and no more looking at neglected plants and edging towards hiring people to just tear everything up to move trees around and re-soil things as succulents just aren't my thing, they were his...

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back