Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been in the position of working as an Engineer on specific items of a project, even though i knew the knew the overall scheme would never work.
I didn't like it, i get attached to companies i work for, ( almost like barracking for a footy team ) and i didn't like working on something that wouldn't work, even if i could do a good job on what i was doing.
( Imagine if you were working on a heat shield for EM's mars project, it might be a groundbreaker ).
I guess there are others who don't care.

Anyway. Hyperlink was always bullshit, and Musk is a Dick who is rich because he purchased Paypal, ( with his rich dad's help ).

DougalHoward you dealt with Queensland fruit flies? These s**t campaigners have infested a couple of my chillies. Hole in it and rotting on the inside. One of them had a bloody bug in it. The aphid problem fixed itself as some other bugs came and ate them all though so that’s good.

I’ve only had one ripe chilli so far which I ate whole. Hottest food I’ve ever eaten in my life 15-20 minutes of misery
Are those the little white grub larvae looking things? Had a lot of them last year idk what you do about them.

On smaller plants, just get netting to cover it, they don't eat through it.

On larger plants and trees, at least what we did:
1. Grab 1.25lt bottle, cut a hole about 7-10cm.
2. Pulp rotten fruit, add to bottle.
3. Add ammonia or other concentrate similar to pesticide.
4. Jerry rig it via string or etc to plant.

You then have a makeshift trap for them to germinate in using "local" ingredients that are largely biodegradable. The "Problem" with it is that it's obviously indiscriminate, so you'll get stray insects that are beneficial as much as the targets.

Yeah don't worry too much just what happens when you're not using pesticides

I put in some African birdseyes that look like purple asian birdseyes. They have been prolific. I have heaps all at once and plenty more on the plants. No pests seem to have bothered them.

It's a shame the Hyperloop was always bullshit because it was a cool concept. I guess the point of having billions is that you can spend them on random fun s**t and maybe it works out.
You can conceptualise a ham sandwich, but if the ingredients are imaginary that ham sandwich is never going to materialise.

You can conceptualise a ham sandwich, but if the ingredients are imaginary that ham sandwich is never going to materialise.

Can be hard to tell in advance though. I recently met a guy who worked closely with Graham Clark in the early days of cochlear implants. They knew it was possible to stimulate the nerves but they had no idea if they could do it in a way the brain could usefully interpret. Turned out that worked, but it was equally likely that it would have been very limited in application. No way to tell without trying.

On smaller plants, just get netting to cover it, they don't eat through it.

On larger plants and trees, at least what we did:
1. Grab 1.25lt bottle, cut a hole about 7-10cm.
2. Pulp rotten fruit, add to bottle.
3. Add ammonia or other concentrate similar to pesticide.
4. Jerry rig it via string or etc to plant.

You then have a makeshift trap for them to germinate in using "local" ingredients that are largely biodegradable. The "Problem" with it is that it's obviously indiscriminate, so you'll get stray insects that are beneficial as much as the targets.
I think I might have to go to Bunnings and see what they have in the way of netting. I actually feel a little foolish I reckon one of the “bees” I let do it’s thing while I was doing some gardening after searching them up was actually one of those bloody fruit flies.

I think I might have to go to Bunnings and see what they have in the way of netting. I actually feel a little foolish I reckon one of the “bees” I let do it’s thing while I was doing some gardening after searching them up was actually one of those bloody fruit flies.

Yeah bees are my problem in so far that I just had to get rid of some flowers on paths and cut themm back since the bees were going yay at all the flowering going on. Them going yay then brings the birds and other insects have a hard time getting a foot in. So yeah, I just net potted things as it's just easier to net and string than figure out "if I do this, will it piss off C-H?". The tree things we did at my nonas, seemed to work a treat, so thought I'd at least suggest it in case.

I'd also maybe touch base at a nursery in your area, they might have some cut offs or be willing to have you chat direct with suppliers for example. Might be an option.

Can be hard to tell in advance though. I recently met a guy who worked closely with Graham Clark in the early days of cochlear implants. They knew it was possible to stimulate the nerves but they had no idea if they could do it in a way the brain could usefully interpret. Turned out that worked, but it was equally likely that it would have been very limited in application. No way to tell without trying.

Yeah, I'd rather have crack than give up at the start. Musk is an dickhead but he does throw money at interesting projects rather than building low risk high profit shit. I remember the iPhone was going to fail because you could never make a tap screen keyboard work. Sometimes the concept is harder than the production.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put in some African birdseyes that look like purple asian birdseyes. They have been prolific. I have heaps all at once and plenty more on the plants. No pests seem to have bothered them.
Righto Con :rolleyes:

I hope Elon is Trump's VP when he wins presidency :cool:

SpaceX meets Space Force, Elon and Trump can then colonise the moon as the omnipotent omnilords they are. Trump to be all "MELANIA, WHERE'S THE WENCH?" using shit telecommunications since Starlink fails half the time, next passby from the int station shows Trump and Elon slow mo fisticuffing with Trump blaming Elon for purposefully turning his link off so he can perv on his family members.

Roll credits.

SpaceX meets Space Force, Elon and Trump can then colonise the moon as the omnipotent omnilords they are. Trump to be all "MELANIA, WHERE'S THE WENCH?" using s**t telecommunications since Starlink fails half the time, next passby from the int station shows Trump and Elon slow mo fisticuffing with Trump blaming Elon for purposefully turning his link off so he can perv on his family members.

Roll credits.
They can colonise it...together 😍 💦

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back