Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Adcock (paraphrasing): Half back is easier to play because the balls always in front of you... half forward is harder because the balls always being kicked over your head so you have to turn around and chase the ball.

Jed, wot?

Only Wardlaw or injury can stop Colby winning the rising star this year!
But.. but.. Harley Reid.. the adopted West Australian Demi-god who the local paper put him alongside Sam Kerr, Min Woo Lee and Damien Oliver as the best Sportspersons in WA and he hasn’t even completed his first preseason yet..

True story.

Based on that journalistic jem, save your money because he’s a lock for RS, Chas and Norm Smith.

Adcock (paraphrasing): Half back is easier to play because the balls always in front of you... half forward is harder because the balls always being kicked over your head so you have to turn around and chase the ball.

Jed, wot?
The Noble game plan

Saw someone mention a nice right foot pass, concluding that he did in fact have a non preferred, and then a couple of posts later someone noted that he got caught a couple of times trying to find his left.

The duality of Bigfooty

Was very good today. Played 3 quarters before being rested. Lots of possessions, run and carry, overlap and neat left foot.
Only thing that stood out as an area for development was he is very left sided, predictably so. But, that’s what the experts said before we drafted him so it was no surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw someone mention a nice right foot pass, concluding that he did in fact have a non preferred, and then a couple of posts later someone noted that he got caught a couple of times trying to find his left.

The duality of Bigfooty
It's a strange phenomenon that people judge left footers on whether they can kick on their right foot but don't apply the same blow torch to right footers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a strange phenomenon that people judge left footers on whether they can kick on their right foot but don't apply the same blow torch to right footers.
Personally I do apply the same blow torch to right footers, as one sidedness and a refusal to practice with a non preferred foot really grate me, but I take your point. Steven Motlop's left leg only exists for balance, for example. Ditto for Ben Brown. At North atm, CZ, Goater and Larks don't do much at all by way of left foot passes or shots at goal.

Still, McKercher, LMac, Fisher, Stephens and PC are all one footed lefties. We're definitely stockpiling them, as the 08-15 Clarko doctrine dictates. I'm sure they'll compensate for it, as they're all talented footballers, even though one of them thinks he's better than he is, but yea. It's a frustrating thing to watch play out in games

😂 I was asking a question. I was asking how he’s been going and is he playing round 1? Or is he pick 2 bust? Then based on comments from people who are watching the sims, it reads underwhelming. JFC
It’ll definitely be a case of ‘glad to be proven wrong’ for you on Colby.
Unless you have Nostra levels of stubbornness, you’ll be singing his praises in no time!

Personally I do apply the same blow torch to right footers, as one sidedness and a refusal to practice with a non preferred foot really grate me, but I take your point. Steven Motlop's left leg only exists for balance, for example. Ditto for Ben Brown. At North atm, CZ, Goater and Larks don't do much at all by way of left foot passes or shots at goal.

Still, McKercher, LMac, Fisher, Stephens and PC are all one footed lefties. We're definitely stockpiling them, as the 08-15 Clarko doctrine dictates. I'm sure they'll compensate for it, as they're all talented footballers, even though one of them thinks he's better than he is, but yea. It's a frustrating thing to watch play out in games
I would argue that PC is the only one whose one-sidedness gets him into trouble.

😂 I was asking a question. I was asking how he’s been going and is he playing round 1? Or is he pick 2 bust? Then based on comments from people who are watching the sims, it reads underwhelming. JFC
I didn't go on Friday but I've been to several other sessions and from my point of view and what I've witnessed at training, he's the most talented young North Melbourne footballer I've ever seen. Bar none. Does that balance out the underwhelming comments?

Was very good today. Played 3 quarters before being rested. Lots of possessions, run and carry, overlap and neat left foot.
Only thing that stood out as an area for development was he is very left sided, predictably so. But, that’s what the experts said before we drafted him so it was no surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He can work on this over the next few years. If he gets 30 on the left and uses it with a high efficiency % and not getting caught too often it’s. Just watched some highlights as a Junior. His first 5 meters is Wardlawesque. Grease lightening 😎

He was very good on Friday. Quick, creative amd knows where the ball is going. He'll be very very good

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back