Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Mate Marc "Lilac" McGowan is at it again, taking a leaf from his mentor Damian "Purple" Barrett's book he's banging on again about us not taking talls at the draft. FFS. Really starting to dislike this bloke.

View attachment 1947408
Oh because Dawson, Goad, Sellers and Finnbar are short people? Picked up Free as the best WAFL ruck. Brought in CCJ, Pink and Biggie. Picked up Edwards in the MSD who was overhyped by the media. Plus K Dawson in another MSD. Who are all these talls we should have taken? Grainger Barrass? Sam Darcy...(f/s), JUH (academy), Logan McDonald about the only half decent one that comes to mind that was available to us, and where we are in our rebuild probably viewed him as a flight risk. Does anyone think we should have taken Curtin instead of Duursma? Cadman instead of Sheezel? I've seen enough already to know we made the right decision on that. Which tree do these gun talls grow on? X just hitting his straps after injury. Comben had injury after injury setback. I think we'll see Comben, Dawson, and Maley all play good games of AFL this year......talls take time full stop. Him and Barrett can go and jerk each other off.

Last edited:

Nope it's not.

View attachment 1947785

This is also the level of delusion we are dealing with.

View attachment 1947782
Well if you're looking at it through that lens, you have to give some credit for us taking Drew Petrie, Hamish McIntosh, Leigh Brown, Lachie Hansen, Todd Goldstein, Robbie Tarrant and Ben Brown. Some very handy inclusions over that period.

Jesus what a moron. Does he think there's any active players who were drafted in 2000?

Why are people shocked that a guy who wrote an opinion piece, based on his opinion, outlining why he thinks North should have invested in KPPs rather than midfielders, is willing to say that we should have taken a gun KPF at 1 rather than a gun midfielder at 4?

So after all this waffle, the only realistic options were McDonald or DGB over Phillips and Cadman over Wardlaw or Sheezel?

Whats the decision we will regret again?

It's also a bit simplistic to say we could have had Cadman instead of either Wardlaw or Sheezel, with the presumption that we would have still got the other one. Once you begin to unravel the super trade that saw us give up pick 1 and JHF to gain Sheezel, Wardlaw and eventually, Goad, you realise that this was not a binary choice. If we dug our heels and kept that pick 1 to select Cadman, then there's every chance that we would have missed out on both Sheezel and Wardlaw and would have had to settle for lesser picks for losing JHF. Or force him to stay for a year and still get unders for him.

Got a feeling that W. Dawson will end up being better than Curtin and the whole "Should have drafted a KPD!" talk will be moot.
On exposed form Curtin would have changed the results of our last 3 games.

Oh hang on, he hasn't even played a game at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh because Dawson, Goad, Sellers and Finnbar are short people? Picked up Free as the best WAFL ruck. Brought in CCJ, Pink and Biggie. Picked up Edwards in the MSD who was overhyped by the media. Plus K Dawson in another MSD. Who are all these talls we should have taken? Grainger Barrass? Sam Darcy...(f/s), JUH (academy), Logan McDonald about the only half decent one that comes to mind that was available to us, and where we are in our rebuild probably viewed him as a flight risk. Does anyone think we should have taken Curtin instead of Duursma? Cadman instead of Sheezel? I've seen enough already to know we made the right decision on that. Which tree do these gun talls grow on? X just hitting his straps after injury. Comben had injury after injury setback. I think we'll see Comben, Dawson, and Maley all play good games of AFL this year......talls take time full stop. Him and Barrett can go and jerk each other off.
It appears they already are

Where do I start with this pile of s**t, I hope you are reading this feedback Marc....

View attachment 1947711

Pray tell which key position players provided best available options at these picks Marc?

View attachment 1947713

Well, I guess if you completely discount:

David Hale
Hamish McIntosh
Lachie Hansen
Robbie Tarrant
Sam Durdin

With a number of others actually in the first round of the national draft like Ben McKay, Aaron Black etc.

View attachment 1947721

None of which picked anywhere near our selections apart from Adelaide and West Coast.

Last time I looked also, Riley Thilthorpe was a tall, Ed Allan is over 190cm, Matteus Phillipou is over 190cm, Carlton have had 1 top 20 pick in that period (Olli Hollands) and Rueben Ginbey is over 190cm.

Nice research.

View attachment 1947727

So after all this waffle, the only realistic options were McDonald or DGB over Phillips and Cadman over Wardlaw or Sheezel?

Whats the decision we will regret again?

Shitcanning North is low hanging fruit. There's so much to pick from you just can't go wrong. Or at least until this bloke had a go at it. I'll pay the jury out re Logan v Will Phil. But DGB??? He's looking like the ultimate draft bust for the Hawks. And Cadman looks OK - but has he seen Wardlaw or Sheezel play??? I'd seriously have either as captain right now if possible.

Got a feeling that W. Dawson will end up being better than Curtin and the whole "Should have drafted a KPD!" talk will be moot.

Yep. Think he’s exactly what we need. Just needs some time to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what North could have done more re KPD in the off season. Who were the KPDs on the move? Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher?? Given neither had any interest coming to us, the only way we could have got them was paying WAAAAYYYY overs and getting slammed for that given that both are literally ordinary.

So instead we get what we perceive to be the best state league KPD (Pink) for nothing. We also get a speculative DFA in Nyuon as possibly short term fixes. The best available KPD in the 2023 mid-season draft (K.Dawson) is given every chance. The 2022 compo pick which we had to trade is spent on a KPD (Logue) who sadly gets hurt. The 2023 draft sees us use two top 5 picks on the best available - Duursma & McKercher - but the next two picks are spent on talls - a young ruck (Goad) and a KPD (W.Dawson). I'd argue that North did EVERYTHING possible to cover this weakness.

Daniel Curtin - flight risk? Maybe. But are we really thinking that if we drafted him we'd stick him on McKay/Curnow, Hogan/Brown, Daniher/Hipwood, Cameron/Hawkins and expect him to do better than Pink/K.Dawson? Why don't KPDs get the time midfielders get to grow and become AFL players? No one says re McKercher or Duursma that they didn't beat their opponents in their 3rd (Pink) or 7th (K.Dawson) game so they must be busts. Personally, I think Pink has been OK and K.Dawson promising. If they were older they'd look their teammates in the eye and say "Hey, any chance you MOFOs in the midfield could help us out? We're getting torched down here and you blokes are giving us nothing!!"

The criticism over our KPD woes is not in the Clarkson era at all. Scott Thompson unsurprisingly retired at the end of 2019. Robbie Tarrant unsurprisingly walked at the end of 2021. In between we got Aidan Corr and Josh Walker. It's not like we did nothing. But this is where McGowan has a point. K.Dawson, W.Dawson, Pink, Nyuon, Logue - NONE were on the list before Clarkson came. The cliff was coming but the powers that be at the time just held hands and hit the throttle Thelma & Louise style.

Josh Walker was a short term stop gap and did well enough in that role. Aidan Corr is the problem. In his defence, he's not really suited to the role he has. He's your third tall who can cover a gorilla for a bit, a small for a bit, but better suited to a mid-size type. If he played against North he'd take Zurhaar, not Larkey or Curtis. Unfortunately, he's effort is questionable and skill level/decision making subpar. He's a liability.

Our model is clearly Melbourne. They get Viney as a FS in 2012. At the end of 2013 after a 2-win season, they go with Salem. Next year, Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen. Then Oliver. No hint of drafting KPDs early although they bust with a KPF with Weideman. But in 2017 having not made finals yet they target Lever. The next year they get May. Two years later they win the flag with Viney, Salem, Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Oliver, Lever and May.

No one knows how this plays out but out of necessity through abysmal mismanagement, we're playing the long game. I'm watching my cholesterol levels in the hope it pays off!

Last edited:
Lazy bait. If we held the pick and took Cadman it would have been all about the DOUBLE TROUBLE of North missing out on BOTH generational talents SHEEZEL AND WARDLAW
EXACTLY THIS!!!!.....he'd have a point if Cadman was Careyesque....he's not, a young forward in and out of the seniors building a career the same way as most young key forwards do (who's to say Comben won't be better in the fullness of time!). And if Cadman had the same output in the royal blue and white as he has at GWS, while Sheez wins a rising star, club bnf, and avg 30+ early in his second year in another jumper, hate to think the barbs these media see you next tuesday's would be pulling out of the rectums. Was quite a few of them critical of JUH early on too. Just don't give them the time of day.

Nope it's not.

View attachment 1947785

This is also the level of delusion we are dealing with.

View attachment 1947782
There's a reason he's an unemployed journalist, who it appears rates himself as a list manager. Gee we scraped the bottom of the barrell with Luffy and Cam Joyce, when it appears all along we could have put this ass clown in the seat on minimal pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back