Autopsy "The Flu Game" - Bulldogs dismantle Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess I chose the right game to go to for my only one of the season. Bont's snap for goal was superb. It was so good to see Cody back. We sat in the disabled section on Level 1 near Freo's race. A number of Freo fans were there but were rather quiet.

Today was one of the best days I've had in years. I'm exhausted.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
**** mate if I knew you were gonna be there I would have bought you a beer. Let me know next time.

Even the game write-up is clueless:

The Dogs kicked 2.2 from their first five inside 50s, Cody Weightman celebrating his return from a serious elbow injury with the opening goal from a somewhat lucky free kick and finishing with three for the match.

**** mate if I knew you were gonna be there I would have bought you a beer. Let me know next time.
Thanks. I almost didn't go. I hadn't been feeling the best in the last few days. My friends drove from Kensington to Melton to pick me up and go with me and push me in my transport chair. I'm still on a high after the win. I wish I could go to more games, but it's a real hassle. My friends went beyond the call...

The inconsistencies of a team with a lot of young players.

We look like worldbeaters one week and pretty ordinary the next.

Will reserve judgement that this team has legitimately turned a corner until port away in a couple of weeks.

Happy to take a heat for this but by the eye test Jamarra has seemingly looked far more dangerous launching in marking contests without naughton next to him destroying the pack every time.

Great win today. Alot of mid tier players stepped up with the upper echelon which is gradually getting better.

Carried 3 players today Scott not sure what he brought Garcia wasn't, Buku again Buss has to be better, and Daniel .

We are one of the few teams who pushed Sydney. Said it many times we are getting closer

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Missed game due to local footy but can’t wait to watch later. Saw Brambles stats and couldn’t believe it! Where was he playing???

Thanks. I almost didn't go. I hadn't been feeling the best in the last few days. My friends drove from Kensington to Melton to pick me up and go with me and push me in my transport chair. I'm still on a high after the win. I wish I could go to more games, but it's a real hassle. My friends went beyond the call...

Well you picked a great game to go. I can’t always go either, but went last week and it was horrible. But rushed my team manager duties and just made it today. And what a happy day to witness. A lot off good vibes in the house this arvo. Marra’s great mark, Lobb’s redemption, Libba continually warms my soul and we are literally witnessing greatness in Lord Marcus. That goal, even the secondary cheer after the big screen replay was magical.

A huge part of our improved performance today was Libba. After coming back in last week, he definitely didn’t play his usual game. But today was completely different to last week and dominated in the centre as we all know he does. If we played Brisbane today or even next week, how we went last week just doesn’t happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was Bramble’s best game for the club, he has the skill and speed to be a player. But he seems to lack something mentally, maybe the resigning was important for his confidence.

It’s frustrating to see Lobb play with that level of intensity knowing what he’s actually capable of. I hope he’s looked at in the backline in the vfl, there’s nothing to lose and if it works it would fill a big hole in the side currently.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A huge part of our improved performance today was Libba. After coming back in last week, he definitely didn’t play his usual game. But today was completely different to last week and dominated in the centre as we all know he does. If we played Brisbane today or even next week, how we went last week just doesn’t happen.

A role on an oppo player seemed like it was a really good move for him. Means he can use his physicality without launching head first into everything.

Teams lose games from 40 points up early in the 2nd, as we did that game.

No team in the 127 year history of the VFL/AFL (~16,500 games) has lost a match from 58 points up midway through the 3rd.
We went very close v the Saints at Marvel, think about 2015. STRINGER put us 55ish in front early to mid 3rd, only to lose with that special player Billings kicking 5.

The inconsistencies of a team with a lot of young players.

We look like worldbeaters one week and pretty ordinary the next.

Will reserve judgement that this team has legitimately turned a corner until port away in a couple of weeks.

Happy to take a heat for this but by the eye test Jamarra has seemingly looked far more dangerous launching in marking contests without naughton next to him destroying the pack every time.
He's always at his best when he can launch at the ball from outside of the pack.

He doesn't have naughtons brute power to jump over or smash packs.

Nor does he have Darcy's core strength that enables him to plant his feet and out reach any opponent.

If we can find a way of getting these 3 to play to their individual strengths then they will be a very difficult combo for any team to negate.

Anyone know how many goals Khamis gave up today? Was awful.

If Keath isn’t right yet, Buss surely has to come in. Not sure how many more of those Khamis games I can handle.
Makes me think what life would be like with Barrass helping Jones instead of a revolving door of VFL players that are too young or not up to it.

Even the game write-up is clueless:

The Dogs kicked 2.2 from their first five inside 50s, Cody Weightman celebrating his return from a serious elbow injury with the opening goal from a somewhat lucky free kick and finishing with three for the match.
Lucky free? Who wrote that garbage, never took possession then tackled. 100% free.

When he collected the ball from Brashaws feet by just going lower and putting his head over the ball.

Just goes to show that a Libba never changes its spots.

He was just incredible today.

Bont plays a different game and was superb today, but West was also very important. He brings strength and aggression and can also finish his work in front of goal. Treloar is also very important—he broke the play up so often and was so damaging with the ball. Red changes our midfield with his pace and all-out offence. Tim played with more intent in the second half (more of this, please, Tim!). Libba back to being Libba.

But at the end of the day it was Bont that stood out. What a captain, what a player. Best Bulldog I'll ever see play this game.

Last edited:
We went very close v the Saints at Marvel, think about 2015. STRINGER put us 55ish in front early to mid 3rd, only to lose with that special player Billings kicking 5.
Yep that's the record margin to come back from post half time, I believe. Losing the game today wasn't completely impossible but it would have been such an anomoly that it wasn't worth stressing about, particularly whilst they never got closer than 29 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back