Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree our future first could be anything, but North became North because they couldn't attract trade in players and had to rely on the draft, which doesn't work in isolation
I'm certainly not saying we are going to be uncompetitive like North has been for many years.

More that I won't be surprised to see us occupying the same portion of the ladder as them.

It would be interesting to see at ladder from R8 onwards... We'd be pushing dead last.

Is Tomahawk's injury a rolled ankle or something more serious. Might be a good opportunity for Neale to get a block of contiguous games.
On the news last night it was mentioned that Hawkins has had scans taken and the club will be reviewing them over the next 24->48 hours, and going from there

Don't expect we'll hear anything until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest

I dunno. Getting flogged by 10 goals at almost full strength is a bad loss I would have thought. Especially against a team we beat 6 weeks ago.
I agree, 10+ goals is a flogging. Allowing Carlton to kick 9 goals in the last quarter is a serious capitulation. Carlton bullied Geelong in the last quarter. I didn't rate Carlton highly, their top end players are good but their lower end players are ordinary. They were no certainty to play finals at midseason but have had a decent recent run since to improve their chances. We are playing like a bottom 4 side.

Do you think we will play finals?

Yes

My previous comment was tongue in cheek - I don't believe we're competing for the spoon either this year or coming years

Yes're a team in transition and seems like we're currently trying to find the right balance/mix in our playing group, but as we've seen with other teams this year - if that missing piece suddenly clicks, you can turn your fortunes around

Either way something really needs to be done about SDK a good sports psychologist and leadership around him to stop this bad habit of his mental defeats and dropping his head all the time with his timid nature
Agree, I've said a few times SDK needs a good sports psychologist.

Regarding leadership, coaches + MC are playing him, I think the move to ruck on Friday was an effort to improve his aggro. He had no issue with taking on his brother, enjoyed watching their rivalry.

"Timid nature" is a bit unfair. I reckon he's apprehensive + cautious, since his facial injury. As someone who had a severe injury, resuscitated twice, had to learn to speak + read again it's a cruel, hard recovery. SDK had his face smashed, which is excruciating.

Hardie has been named as an emergency 2 weeks running. Just setting the record straight.

As was mannagh the 2 weeks before that.

Humphries close too.

This. Some supporters need to realise that sometimes Geelong loses, not because they’re the worst team in the AFL, they’re just beaten by a better team. Our game against Sydney would’ve beaten most teams in the AFL.

The worst losses were the Dees, Port and GWS. That’s were we really stuffed up.

Melb we should have won we just kicked badly at goal and gws are a decent team.

But port are terrible that loss was crap.

This. Some supporters need to realise that sometimes Geelong loses, not because they’re the worst team in the AFL, they’re just beaten by a better team. Our game against Sydney would’ve beaten most teams in the AFL.

I reckon the blues are the only serious challengers to the swans. Don’t think pies or bombers or gws can beat them. Brissy coming and maybe a chance.
They have a strong list of players in the right age/experience bracket. They have been building for several years now and are close to being right in the mix. Not that I take any pleasure from that but credit where it is due. I thought Voss couldn’t coach. lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes

My previous comment was tongue in cheek - I don't believe we're competing for the spoon either this year or coming years

Yes're a team in transition and seems like we're currently trying to find the right balance/mix in our playing group, but as we've seen with other teams this year - if that missing piece suddenly clicks, you can turn your fortunes around
Agree.

On my ladder predictor (which is a complete waste of time!!) I still have Cats making top 4 which is bizarre. But that relies on us beating Essendon and Bulldogs. I dont rate Essendon and think we have the wood on Bulldogs but of course we are not the team of the past so maybe we lose both of those? In that case I have us right on cusp of 8. If we win one we get in that 5-8 (assuming my other predictions are right of course!)

We certainly look way off the top 2 and I suspect if we encountered Brisbane and Collingwood in finals would look way off them too?

I am hoping we do a Sydney transition (2 years out of the 8 and a couple more building). As you say that can be only a couple of good free agents or trades away and significant development of our below 24yo

The click bait tweet:

Content of said article:
A best-case scenario for Geelong spearhead Tom Hawkins might still put his season in doubt given the complications with a mid-foot sprain, according to leading sport medico Peter Larkins.
Larkins told the Herald Sun on Sunday the Cats would be worried about a lisfranc ligament sprain or a navicular issue for Hawkins, who hobbled off the ground against Carlton on Friday night.

Hawkins was to have scans across the weekend which would be assessed by their doctors on Monday.

---

So apparently Peter Larkins knows/speculates more at this stage than what the Club actually knows considering its been confirmed our doctors will be reviewing things on Monday... 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

The click bait tweet:

Content of said article:
A best-case scenario for Geelong spearhead Tom Hawkins might still put his season in doubt given the complications with a mid-foot sprain, according to leading sport medico Peter Larkins.
Larkins told the Herald Sun on Sunday the Cats would be worried about a lisfranc ligament sprain or a navicular issue for Hawkins, who hobbled off the ground against Carlton on Friday night.

Hawkins was to have scans across the weekend which would be assessed by their doctors on Monday.

---

So apparently Peter Larkins knows/speculates more at this stage than what the Club actually knows considering its been confirmed our doctors will be reviewing things on Monday... 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

It is definitely click bait…. Even if it turns out to be true (which the club is definitely worried about!!)…

We just have to wait and get the update from club and then react from there…in terms of how sad we will be!

I reckon the blues are the only serious challengers to the swans. Don’t think pies or bombers or gws can beat them. Brissy coming and maybe a chance.
They have a strong list of players in the right age/experience bracket. They have been building for several years now and are close to being right in the mix. Not that I take any pleasure from that but credit where it is due. I thought Voss couldn’t coach. lol.

Can't say I give them that much credit. They're 100% a better team today, but that's because they spent close to a decade collecting top 5/top 10 draft picks like they were candy while we were contending year after year.

Hell, they blew a pick 3 on Paddy Dow...but who cares? They still have two #1s in their team, picked up Curnow and McKay with #10 and #12 in one draft, and traded single-digit picks away for Saad and Cerra. Could you imagine the setback (not to mention backlash here) if we finally got our hands on a top 5 pick and blew it?!?

Kind of like Hardwick with the Suns, the Blues sucked for so long they're now loaded for talent and were just waiting for a half-competent coach to walk through the door.

Agree.

On my ladder predictor (which is a complete waste of time!!) I still have Cats making top 4 which is bizarre. But that relies on us beating Essendon and Bulldogs. I dont rate Essendon and think we have the wood on Bulldogs but of course we are not the team of the past so maybe we lose both of those? In that case I have us right on cusp of 8. If we win one we get in that 5-8 (assuming my other predictions are right of course!)

We certainly look way off the top 2 and I suspect if we encountered Brisbane and Collingwood in finals would look way off them too?

I am hoping we do a Sydney transition (2 years out of the 8 and a couple more building). As you say that can be only a couple of good free agents or trades away and significant development of our below 24yo
If we finish up top 4 I’ll run nude through Brisbane

I still think Pies can and will challenge the Swans, along with the Blues as you say. Pies are never out of games and have the advantage of the 'G. The belief they have is enourmous. If they make it to the GF, Pies will be a huge chance IMO.

Lot of pressure on the Swans here. My concern with Sydney is they have peaked too early. You want to be playing the footy they're currently playing in September. Not to say they won't be, but you want to be building and hit September fresh and ready to explode.

We've been down this path before of demolishing teams during the year and getting to September in not the best condition or form, and subsequently being found out.

Can't say I give them that much credit. They're 100% a better team today, but that's because they spent close to a decade collecting top 5/top 10 draft picks like they were candy while we were contending year after year.

Hell, they blew a pick 3 on Paddy Dow...but who cares? They still have two #1s in their team, picked up Curnow and McKay with #10 and #12 in one draft, and traded single-digit picks away for Saad and Cerra. Could you imagine the setback (not to mention backlash here) if we finally got our hands on a top 5 pick and blew it?!?

Kind of like Hardwick with the Suns, the Blues sucked for so long they're now loaded for talent and were just waiting for a half-competent coach to walk through the door.
Oh yep- agree- with the picks they have had, they should be good.

That 2nd qtr against GWS ( at KP ) was diabolical , if they had taken all their chances in the 1st half they could have been 10-12 goals ahead at h/time no problem

Its ok to say beaten by a better team , and Carlton were miles better , their skill level and teamwork etc

But it was the nature of the loss ( and you have to factor in that even the scrubbers get 400k to play this game , and anyone in the real world knows that is seriously good money), right from the opening bounce , the 1st 2-3 minutes Geel were physically intimidated and didnt look like getting the ball pass the centreline , it was embarassing to watch

I still think Pies can and will challenge the Swans, along with the Blues as you say. Pies are never out of games and have the advantage of the 'G. The belief they have is enourmous. If they make it to the GF, Pies will be a huge chance IMO.

Lot of pressure on the Swans here. My concern with Sydney is they have peaked too early. You want to be playing the footy they're currently playing in September. Not to say they won't be, but you want to be building and hit September fresh and ready to explode.

We've been down this path before of demolishing teams during the year and getting to September in not the best condition or form, and subsequently being found out.
Yep- you may well be correct. If pies get everyone back, then yep, but I can’t see them getting the top teams if they don’t have their best team on the park. I can’t see north getting within a kick of the swans or blues for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back