Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, tell that to media buffs, footy tipsters, betting agencies and learned people who watch every game.
lol those are just opinions the same as anyone else’s.
We summarise our chances here by how the oppo is going, as well as ourselves.
Can't buck the system.
Well I’m not for hoping to scrape a few wins and maybe ‘chance’ a shot at finals just to be embarrassingly slaughtered week 1.

I’m a realist and atm we are really playing shit, no matter how good or bad any other club is traveling.

If you want to play finals this year that way then enjoy it but I’ll be more interested in focusing on the years after, once we get rid of the deadwood and start an earnest rebuild.

We can’t even run out games now so how far off the pace do you think we’ll be by September, even with a few flukey results going our way?

Well I’m not for hoping to scrape a few wins and maybe ‘chance’ a shot at finals just to be embarrassingly slaughtered week 1.

I’m a realist and atm we are really playing shit, no matter how good or bad any other club is traveling.

If you want to play finals this year that way then enjoy it but I’ll be more interested in focusing on the years after, once we get rid of the deadwood and start an earnest rebuild.

We can’t even run out games now so how far off the pace do you think we’ll be by September, even with a few flukey results going our way?

Nice vent, you are ahead of yourself my friend. Let's just say we'll play less shitter against teams more shitter than us.
Like the last five games of our draw. Still if you want to wallow in a big loss and give up your seat, go ahead.

Nice vent, you are ahead of yourself my friend. Let's just say we'll play less shitter against teams more shitter than us.
Like the last five games of our draw. Still if you want to wallow in a big loss and give up your seat, go ahead.
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

I agree. Plenty to like about Clark. 19 year makes a few blunders in a high pressure game. Shock horror. We should be thankful that a 19 year is getting enough if the ball for us to notice his errors.

Re: SDK, in hindsight part of me thinks that the MC has decided to play for next year. See if he can develop as a passable ruck and second option to Conway. It is the only way our team selection on Friday makes sense.

The more I think about it, the more I am ok with it. We are not winning anything this year, and if SDK is a decent ruck it solves a huge issue for us going forward. Let’s see what we have got.

Good post. Scott's wily old pressers amuse me, the language around players is positive, as it should be. He gave it away really, when he said we wanted to "spark" SDK. If that's not shorthand for he's been playing like shite, then I'll go he.

Further, the ruck move against his brother was "coincidental". A few posters here thought it was a good fire-up, a bit like when the Chappell brothers learned by bowling bouncers at each other. Besides, their Mum enjoyed it so much she spilled her wine.

I think you're right, perseverance is their byword. They can't very well say- that's it, got done, and put SDK back to be unsparkly again. Then recall Stanley.

Last edited:
Good post. Scott's wily old pressers amuse me, the language around players is positive, as it should be. He gave it away really, when he said we wanted to "spark" SDK. If that's not shorthand for he's been playing like shite, then I'll go he.

Further, the ruck move against his brother was "coincidental". A few posters here thought it was a good fire-up, a bit like when the Chappell brothers learned by bowling bouncers at each other. Besides, their Mum enjoyed it so much she spilled her wine.

I think you're right, perseverance is their byword. They can't very well say- that's it, got done, and put SDK back to be unsparkly again. Then recall Stanley.
I don't dislike the idea of SDK as a ruck/forward but in that case put Blicavs in defence, put SDK in the ruck with Conway and only bring Stanley in when Conway needs a games break here and there.

Nah, discussing how Freo won and then lost, how badly North are going or how far ahead Sydney are, does not influence our form one bit.

If you want to use these discussions against someone saying we are a bottom 4 team then just like I said, you’re using it to create an excuse.
Unless we are playing in a one team comp, and the point of the game is to collect mythical value points to improve your own team rating against yourself, then the opposition has to matter.

It is the only way you can objectively measure your team and its merit.

As long as the point of the game is to beat your opponent then this will always be true. Everything else is just hypothetical musings.

He's not going anywhere. All of these names are likely to be off the list in a few months.

• Hawkins
  • Touhy
  • Duncan
  • Bews
  • Rohan
  • Parfitt
  • Foster
  • Hardie
  • Murdoch
  • Willis (?)
  • Stengle (?)
  • Jeka (?)

Even if we buy the talk that Smith & Oliver are coming, that's two guys.

It's two guys coming in, likely with a bunch of kids as the other reinforcements to compensate for all that experience and depth.

If we don't go for Oliver & Smith, then it's just going to be a bunch of kids.

Even if the MC hated Mannagh - which they don't - he's going to be in the best 25 just by virtue of what's going off the list.

In particular if Stengle goes, there's 23 games right there with his name on them.

I just can't see where he'd be better off when you take all of that into consideration.

Stanley?
Means 13 players are gone, leaving a huge gap
Have a feeling Duncan will continue, only 14 games to reach 300 games
Rohan makes a good sub, might stay

With those players removed from the list, adding Smith, Oliver + Mannagh, who is elevated to AFL?

Humphries
Knevitt
COS
Clohesy
Willis ?

More AFL games
Conway
Neale

Still three players short

Interested to hear your thinking, Kobe

Maybe he's not actually that impactful - stats tell part of the story, not the full story and having watched that VFL game, I wasn't that surprised he wasn't selected the next week

He's a nice VFL player, but there's definitely others I would select ahead of him
I'm definitely in your school of thought, cats09. You've seen him play + your analysis of Hardie is spot on. Doubt he's will be the 26yo MF we really need.

Nah, discussing how Freo won and then lost, how badly North are going or how far ahead Sydney are, does not influence our form one bit.

If you want to use these discussions against someone saying we are a bottom 4 team then just like I said, you’re using it to create an excuse.
Right… People are literally saying we won’t beat the bottom 4 teams because we got belted by the blues. Pointing out that other teams around us also get belted and guess what, still win games and aren’t bottom 4 is relevant to that argument.

There’s no need to create excuses, we’re a middle of the road transitioning team in a form slump.

The reality is, that for the first time in many years we’re living what other supporters experience. We’re just too used to winning.

But hey, you believe what you want, because clearly that’s how you roll.

Last edited:
The click bait tweet:

Content of said article:
A best-case scenario for Geelong spearhead Tom Hawkins might still put his season in doubt given the complications with a mid-foot sprain, according to leading sport medico Peter Larkins.
Larkins told the Herald Sun on Sunday the Cats would be worried about a lisfranc ligament sprain or a navicular issue for Hawkins, who hobbled off the ground against Carlton on Friday night.

Hawkins was to have scans across the weekend which would be assessed by their doctors on Monday.

---

So apparently Peter Larkins knows/speculates more at this stage than what the Club actually knows considering its been cconfirmed our doctors will be reviewing things on Monday... 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Could be totally wrong + as always happy to be corrected.

Larkins
Come On Reaction GIF

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leave Cat Man alone!!!!! He's a bigger fan than all of us put together you know!!!!!!! He said it himself!!!

What really got me on Friday was the unforced errors. Just kicks nowhere near under pressure to no one. Not panicking about the direction we're going in list wise. Hawkins, Touhy and Stanley cooked at the end of the season. Dunc will go around again. Maybe even Rohan. We have to stagger the retirements. That final home game against the Eagles is sure going to get dusty.

Unless we are playing in a one team comp, and the point of the game is to collect mythical value points to improve your own team rating against yourself, then the opposition has to matter.

It is the only way you can objectively measure your team and its merit.

As long as the point of the game is to beat your opponent then this will always be true. Everything else is just hypothetical musings.
Hypothetical musings and mythical value points perfectly describes the entire premise of this measurement system we’re discussing.

Stanley?
Means 13 players are gone, leaving a huge gap
Have a feeling Duncan will continue, only 14 games to reach 300 games
Rohan makes a good sub, might stay

With those players removed from the list, adding Smith, Oliver + Mannagh, who is elevated to AFL?

Humphries
Knevitt
COS
Clohesy
Willis ?

More AFL games
Conway
Neale

Still three players short

Interested to hear your thinking, Kobe
Complete mindblank on that one Kitty, Stanley would be the most obvious!

You're right. There's potential for us to stagger it a bit, but I get the feeling the vast majority be gone.

It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure, as it's a tricky to traverse the outs with the restrictions on what you can actually do, even if a couple of them stay on the list unexpectedly.

Personally, replenishing that vacuum of players does look easier if we keep our picks, just from a sheer talent/numbers POV.

Let's say for the sake of argument we get a first round pick for Stengle. That's two of those, to go with our own second, third, fourth etc.

That makes it all look a bit easier, as while we'd be losing players, we're replenishing with high draft picks.

Not all of them are going to make it, but it's a sound philosophy, and while we'd still be taking some later picks, it's more of a natural number thannthe following scenario.

Where it gets a bit more complicated is if the Oliver & Smith rumours are true, then that's at least one first round pick out the door, and likely a second as well.

While it looks better on paper that we're bringing in two established talents to compensate for what is going out, it's harder to navigate when you're suddenly replacing 8-11 list spots with very late picks.

To me, it seems likely that we'll be looking at some DFA players, or giving up token picks for struggling players who the club believes could thrive in our environment (Take Will Phillips or Alex Davies for instance).

It's not the sexy option, but if we are going to have that many retirements/delistings, then we don't have a lot of levers to pull in terms of fielding a list.

I'd say in either scenario, unless we have multiple late gems stashed away (ala Humphries & Dempsey), we'd be likely to keep a couple of list spots open too, and have some players compete for a SSP spot over the summer.

Nah, tell that to media buffs, footy tipsters, betting agencies and learned people who watch every game.
We summarise our chances here by how the oppo is going, as well as ourselves.
Can't buck the system.
Which reminds me. I thought the betting odds for the Geelong Carlton game were crazy. Geelong started at $2.70 early in the week which seemed about right but came right into $2.20 just before the game. There must be some people out there who rate Geelong more highly than I do.

Right… People are literally saying we won’t beat the bottom 4 teams because we got belted by the blues. Pointing out that other teams around us also get belted and guess what, still win games and aren’t bottom 4 is relevant to that argument.

There’s no need to create excuses, we’re a middle of the road transitioning team in a form slump.

The reality is, that for the first time in many years we’re living what other supporters experience. We’re just too used to winning.

But hey, you believe what you want, because clearly that’s how you roll.
Carlton are ok along with around 5 or six other teams while Sydney is outstanding. Most of Carlton's wins have been tight contests. Their only big wins came against NM in round 3 by 56 points and Geelong in round 15 by 63 points. There next largest margin was 36 points against Port Adelaide in round 12. I wouldn't be getting much solace from a thumping at the hands of Carlton because they are yardstick this year. They are not.

Leave Cat Man alone!!!!! He's a bigger fan than all of us put together you know!!!!!!! He said it himself!!!
🤣 🤣 🤣
What really got me on Friday was the unforced errors. Just kicks nowhere near under pressure to no one. Not panicking about the direction we're going in list wise. Hawkins, Touhy and Stanley cooked at the end of the season. Dunc will go around again. Maybe even Rohan. We have to stagger the retirements. That final home game against the Eagles is sure going to get dusty.
:100:

Hot potato handballing
Handballing with plenty of time to kick
Kicking to oppo players
Standing waiting for ball to go down the throat, with an oppo intercept mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back