Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

For me 2008 GF, but I'd rank the 2013 QF at home the next worst. A true funereal atmosphere walking out of the ground that day, playing at KP and going down, a ghastly outcome and the noise after the game was just silence, we were all in disbelief.

2019 QF was frustrating as I thought we were better than the Pies and we played poorly and lost by 10 points. 2013 PF was frustrating as an errant Allen Christensen kick OOB early in the last when he had a free Harry Taylor deep forward was turned straight around for a Hawks goal, a vital turnaround. And I felt we were out on our feet even if Varcoe had kicked the goal to even the scores.

This one, well we had our chances, but the feeling is mollified by the fact we went 9-9 in our last 18 games this season. It's just not the form a Premiership side has. When Ollie goaled I was ecstatic, but that was immediately killed by two Lion clearances (one courtesy of a Duncan misdirected handball), and we were down by 11 points. Poor Stanley, he was out of it, but maybe nobody just had the quick thinking for him to do a James Manson circa 1992 and grab his back for someone to take the kick for him.

But we have a promising group of younger players, and I have hope for the future.
2008 Grand Final was the peak, 92 was probably the grand final that hurt as he were a decent amount in front in the third.

89 just happy to be there
94/95 we were flogged so it didn’t matter.

Kicking ourselves for the 2013/16/17 prelim’s as we didn’t show up in the last two and lost composure in the first, I’m pretty confident there was a flag on the table in each of those years.

2020 didn’t really feel like a grand final at all.

Even this weekend, I was confident and thought sneakily we are a shot of winning the flag, but it was false economy, our midfield is well below the standard of the remaining teams, we really need to look at that going forward.

Brownlow votes:
Neale 22
McCluggage 12
Zorko 12
Dunkley 11
Team total 82

V
Stewart 12
Holmes 10
Bruhn 7
Bowes 4
Danger 3
Atkins 1
Team total 68

Clearly a class above all year but optimism for us with Holmes, Bruhn.

Our team total was same as pies, dons, suns, dees, saints who all missed finals.

BTW Sydney team total 103! Others above 80 were blues, freo, gws, hawks, port and dogs who made finals.

We should be pretty proud making the prelim.
Team should be proud of making a prelim but very very dissappointing with not making the grand final.

To get run over the top like that is unforgivable

Team should be proud of making a prelim but very very dissappointing with not making the grand final.

After OH's goal, we did let 2 goals through too easily. Says to me we were just not good enough over the duration of that game. Injuries, fatigue, illness, and quality of list are all factors. I think we can improve, but so can most teams. This comp is so even.Watching Saints this year dominate that second half against us, and we seemed impotent to stop it, and again on Saturday v Lions- once teams apply that pressure, we wilt. Looking at the stats is one thing- Lions had 50 odd more possessions than us at half time- they play differently- but a lot of our entries forward were under pressure.

Does anyone have the pressure rating for the game. Heard ours was only 140 on another board which is very low for a final
What was Brisbane's? We definitely succumbed to their pressure, and a common theme this year.

Unforgivable is a bit over the top.

We weren’t good enough, and we definitely didn’t defend the corridor well enough.

It’s not as though we got belted in some kind of game where we no-showed.

What was Brisbane's? We definitely succumbed to their pressure, and a common theme this year.
The Sydney board was discussing it. They were a bit annoyed at the pressure rating of 140. That's lower than a lot of our home and away games and likely means a bruise free final for Brisbane.

Also ties in with illness during the week and fatigue having an effect

The Sydney board was discussing it. They were a bit annoyed at the pressure rating of 140. That's lower than a lot of our home and away games and likely means a bruise free final for Brisbane.

Also ties in with illness during the week and fatigue having an effect
As one of those late 40yo luddites, can anyone explain what or how a pressure rating is developed or is it some sort of champion data crapola.

Yes we were terrible at defending the corridor in the second half, the minute Brisbane stopped playing into our zone trap they cut us to ribbons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As one of those late 40yo luddites, can anyone explain what or how a pressure rating is developed or is it some sort of champion data crapola.

Yes we were terrible at defending the corridor in the second half, the minute Brisbane stopped playing into our zone trap they cut us to ribbons.
Yes, it is Champion Data, but IMO when it correlates so well to what you see with the naked eye, it ain't crapola.

A huge amount of the lack of pressure and being killed through the corridor was where we turned it over.

Many times in the 3rd quarter we had multiple players streaming back to goal and missed the pass. Then the Brisbane players that we had outworked were suddenly free everywhere going the other way.

People like to look at pressure ratings as an effort thing. It's 95% a game style and execution thing.

A huge amount of the lack of pressure and being killed through the corridor was where we turned it over.

Many times in the 3rd quarter we had multiple players streaming back to goal and missed the pass. Then the Brisbane players that we had outworked were suddenly free everywhere going the other way.

People like to look at pressure ratings as an effort thing. It's 95% a game style and execution thing.
In finals we are generally around the 180-190 mark so 140 is very low. Wouldn't mind seeing the actual rating across the finals

Edit: it may be an 'effort' thing part of the same were sick

Yeah I've heard with rule changes that it is harder to keep a lead.

BUT

We need to get a bit of hard, steely resolve about us. A bit of campaigner back into us. Things like the Mannagh dribble at goal, Stengle unrealistic speccy, (and there were other opportunities) seemed to me like they were having fun with the lead, rather than what you should do with that sort of lead.

What should you do?

Smell the blood. See it as a chance to break the opponent's spirits. Finish them off.

Cam Ling said it's a long season and if you can get into the habit of being this ruthless you'll get some easy kills on the way too - because despite being professional etc, teams do give up the fight a bit sometimes.

One concern I have looking back - and hope they practise this over the summer, was how we used the ball going forward in the last quarter when we still actually had the ascendency for periods.

It was still too high / long. It reminded me of the GWS game this year - we dominated that last quarter but fell to shocking delivery going forward. (I'm not talking about pressured breaks from the centre, I'm talking about turnovers where we have little to no pressure on the kicker)

I really think this is something we can tidy up - our record in those close finishes hasn't been great lately. I don't know if it's a case of rehearsing scenarios or what but I feel if effort isn't put in there we may become a side that loses the close ones more than we should.

Where does this game rank (if at all) in your most crushing losses list?

Big daddy is of course 2008 GF and 2020 wasn't a blast. But for me this is up there. I feel we let a great opportunity go by
Showing my vintage here ... (although I'm sure the PFs of '80 and '81 can't have been fun)

1) 2005 SF v Sydney. So unfair.

2) 1987 r22 v Hawthorn (needing to win to make finals). Very similar to last weekend in terms of how the game went. '87 is remembered for Melbourne's fairytale run, but it only happened because we lost in the last minute at home. We surrender a 3 goal lead to lose 19.12 to 17.21

3) 1989 GF - As I've posted before, the mythology around the Hawthorn 'bravery' makes me sick. In reality, we were even more wounded.

4) 2008 GF - that slow, slow sickening feeling.

5) tied: 2013 PF, 2024 PF

edit: oh, and 1997. Seriously, the match shouldn't have even been at Adelaide to begin with and they changed the finals system the very next year.

Last edited:
Where does this game rank (if at all) in your most crushing losses list?

Big daddy is of course 2008 GF and 2020 wasn't a blast. But for me this is up there. I feel we let a great opportunity go by

We weren't expected to get close to top four and this is why the loss is not so humiliating after all. Even after the St Kilda game, majority of supporters were resigned to the fact we were probably making up the numbers.

Personally, I thought we would at least go through to the grand final after that smashing of Port Adelaide.
Was disappointed to lose but in hindsight, it doesn't hurt because we can expect the team to fight and be thereabouts again in the coming years.

I think nothing beats 2008. We were something like 50 point favourites heading into each game that year. To lose to the same side who beat us in similar humiliating fashion 20 years prior, didn't get much worse than that. We have copped it forever after as well. Nothing can correct it unless both teams face one another in another grand final re-match.

Also, this is why we are one of the most hated teams in the competition. The amount of abusive pm's and hate spread on social media . . . opposition fans (some in the media) were made to look like fools for constantly writing off the club. Had we have won it all again, just imagine the vitriol heading into next season.

I’m finding it pretty easy to forgive actually. They were a bit better than us. It’s pretty simple.

We weren't expected to get close to top four and this is why the loss is not so humiliating after all. Even after the St Kilda game, majority of supporters were resigned to the fact we were probably making up the numbers.

Personally, I thought we would at least go through to the grand final after that smashing of Port Adelaide.
Was disappointed to lose but in hindsight, it doesn't hurt because we can expect the team to fight and be thereabouts again in the coming years.

I think nothing beats 2008.

Also, this is why we are one of the most hated teams in the competition. The amount of abusive pm's and hate spread on social media . . . opposition fans (some in the media) were made to look like fools for constantly writing off the club. Had we have won it all again, just imagine the vitriol heading into next season.
Yes- 2008 was hard to accept. It was bollocks losing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back