Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Karl Amon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Amon is one of the best on ground and heavily relied upon exiting D50 with Sis out and there’s still people going with the ‘kick in stat padding’ narrative. From what I can see he only played on and got the kick stat 4/5 times, so had 20 other kicks.

We are one of the best at moving it from our back half, he’s the best kick in our team, and yet I am certain there’s still going to be a group of fans that want him moved to the wing.

We are also one of the best at limiting defensive half turnovers, it’s not surprising why.

Amon is one of the best on ground and heavily relied upon exiting D50 with Sis out and there’s still people going with the ‘kick in stat padding’ narrative. From what I can see he only played on and got the kick stat 4/5 times, so had 20 other kicks.

We are one of the best at moving it from our back half, he’s the best kick in our team, and yet I am certain there’s still going to be a group of fans that want him moved to the wing.

We are also one of the best at limiting defensive half turnovers, it’s not surprising why.
There's got to be context around kick-in stats as they're not created equal.

Sometimes players will just do a short kick to deep in the pocket, and other times they'll hit a long range target outside of 50 to break open the field. Amon did the latter with his kick to Impey which led to the Breust goal.

Most underrated player on our list(by Hawks fans).

Having a massive year.
Seems one of those players that gets called out if he has a below average game, but gets over looked for how much value he is adding to the side. Have loved some of his work this year. Has been really important as it is not as simple as just tagging Sicily when you have multiple outlets.

Amon has had a quality season so far. When we are controlling the game and have momentum he looks like a million dollar player cruising around the field, hitting targets and getting the ball moving forward. Even when we are not in control and things look stagnant he is one of the few players looking to make things happen.

The main concern (obviously) is when we aren't in control or when we are on the back foot, and he has to defend an opponent. Then he can be exposed.

But we roll that dice and back our system in, and expect the players further afield to apply pressure. And when they are applying pressure the whole system has really paid off. It helps having three excellent intercept defenders in Sicily, Scrimshaw and Weddle playing back there too.

On a side note - moving Gulden out to play off a wing or the outside midfielder, whilat allowing for Heeney to move into a contested midfield role, has been a master stroke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes - he is a gem. Nothing flashy about him but he reads the play very well and can break lines with his foot skills.
He goes a long way to making our ball movement a thing of beauty on a weekly basis.

Karl Amon Round 23 post match interview

Is it just me or was he on the angry pills on Friday.

Never seen him so physical.
Not sure about the angry pills, but he was awesome in the contest.

I’ll keep saying it, but he’s the most underrated player on our list by a margin.

Not sure about the angry pills, but he was awesome in the contest.

I’ll keep saying it, but he’s the most underrated player on our list by a margin.

Just came on to say pretty much this. Both externally and probably by our own supporters as well. Plays a really important role for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Karl Amon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back