Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d still like to know why we offer players like Durdin & Cottrell two year extensions early in the season
No way is Cottrell best 22. I don't care how far he runs. AFL requires you to get the ball and be able to make decisions. That play in the last qtr when he played on nearly ran to far and kicked it to a 2 on 1 was the final straw. He's a local footballer at best.

Who on our list is going to improve us next year. Binns. Reports say he’s going to leave end of year for more opportunity. Our list is ****ing shot. We need to get a heap of contracts away from this team asap.

Ollie Hollands will benefit from another pre-season. But that's it.

Next year Newman, Docherty, Saad, Williams, McGovern, Martin and Cripps will be the wrong side of 30.

We've got a 3 year window to contend before the next rebuild starts.

The youth on our list is bleak.

From what sitting on the bench while he was the sub last week? Seriously though, he might be a good guy but he has to be gone with Marchbank.

Can’t keep all these injury prone people on lists, if we had an injured Boyd as an emergency as we had little else to pick from….there are two spots that could of gone to someone else who might of been able to help us.

We played Durdin last week when he couldn’t get through training with a sore calf. He then injured it in first 10 minutes of game

FFS a lot of melters here, wanting to burn the club to the ground.. still got four winnable games to go.. top two maybe a stretch but we should be playing finals.

Not should.

Will.

However, while we’ve become reliant on individuals instead of sticking to the plan, we’ve become woefully exposed.

Gotta be part of the buy-in.

Where’s that f***** vodka bottle????

walsh for highly paid is not a good enough midfielder - no strength no power not quick too easily tackled
Walsh needs to rediscover his game. He's certainly good enough.

His disposal has really let him down this year. He's making lots of dumb decisions and selling his teammates out by putting himself and teammates under unwinnable (contest wise) situations.

Hopefully he gets a strong summer and preseason in and that helps him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scrubbers need to be 100% pressure 100% of the time.
We’re a scrubbers team with a slow game style. Not quite the Brad Scott Norf scrubbers (who made preliminary finals) but not good enough to rely on skill to make a grand final.

Anyway. These mutts can ****en work hard or be also rams. There’s no other way.

No way is Cottrell best 22. I don't care how far he runs. AFL requires you to get the ball and be able to make decisions. That play in the last qtr when he played on nearly ran to far and kicked it to a 2 on 1 was the final straw. He's a local footballer at best.

Maybe tonight ends the Cottrell is a wingman discussion

10 possessions, 2 contested and 2 tackles is poor. Again he was lost and didn’t get involved and can’t tackle. Needs a focused role or is lost

Last edited:
I haven’t seen too many games where the losing team’s best player is the full forward! That is rather peculiar.

The small forwards are not just average but they get marked too easily. Can’t understand why they rushed back a litany of injured players but Jack Martin can’t get picked after 2 VFL games.

I don't think you are wrong. We needed a good year injury wise to win the flag. We've made a good fist of our early season injuries, but it's all a bit too much now. We have way too many role players who can't get the ball.

We have maybe 7 supposed elite players. a few vital players a step down, and then a whole lot of ... foot soldiers.

I think we are done. We've pulled a reverse uno on last season.
Can’t agree with that last statement. No way this year is a right off, at all.

The moment we lost Harry, we lost the game.......
That was a huge blow but having to activate our sub so early finished us off, from that point it was clear that we would eventually run out of legs. At half-time I said to my brother with whom I was watching the game that we didn't have a big enough lead. We needed to be eight goals up to be able to hang on.

The game was shot early. We have too many players in poor form or carrying injuries.

The complete lack of creativity amongst the coaching group is very concerning.

They had to cobble together a forward line capable of kicking a winning score and when it was clear we were struggling during the 3rd qtr they tried nothing.

Similar story thru the midfield.

Do we need to include matchday payments in their contracts before they realise they can actually coach on the wkends and not just at training?

Looking for the right word to describe our situation … but eh won’t go there.

Four weeks ago we decided to drop the in-form Hewett and start fiddling with roles and positions. Then the injuries start to impact and force more changes.

We got ahead of ourselves and it has cost us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back