Preview 2024 Second Elimination Final: Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn, 6 September 2024, 7.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 days out and can't contain my excitement so I will share my personal reasons for optimism/players I'm looking out for that weren't covered in my first post in the thread.

- Cam Mackenzie. You do some reading on other boards and often he is talked about as a guy that hasn't worked out, and he gets essentially no love from the media. I think his smarts, clean usage, elusive side step, knack for an opportune goal, and level headedness will result in a big game that puts him on the map.

- Dylan Moore. This guy is just built for finals. Usually in finals you see a step up in intensity, especially early. We play like this all the time, and Moore is the guy who sets that tone for us. Going to have a chunk of CBAs too I'd imagine in a split with Mackenzie.

- Jack Gunston. It's almost like he is getting better with age in a weird way. So crafty and I think his smarts can be a point of difference against their defence. Jones is great in the air but can be exploited on the ground, and Lobb despite having a good impact down back is still new to the role. Not sure how this manifests but I think something to watch, which leads me to.......

- Nick Watson. Lobb 207cm, Jones 199cm, JOD 197cm, Dale 188cm, leaving only Bramble (not flash defensively but has great pace) and Duryea (smart defender but lacks pace) as out and out small defenders. We won't need a whole heap more from Chol and Dear than halving contests and using those deft taps and spoils to advantage to get the ball on the deck. The Dogs board gives barely any credit to how much this is going to be a massive problem for them.

- CJ. We don't even know if he is going to play but I'll go early on this one and say if he's fit we play him. All of Ward, CJ, and Finn are fantastic runners but CJ is the only one of those who is going to be useful in the air should we need it, and we are one awkward Sicily marking contest from needing it in a big way. We know what he is capable of and I think it's a suitable amount of risk to back him in to deliver despite having a poor season thus far. Due for a good game.

- Josh Weddle. He is going to need to run off his opponent every chance he gets. Every tall you force a chase from is a win and builds up fatigue. Defensively we will need to see him get the spoil/mark decision correct each time, something he has struggled with at times this year (even outside the obvious Hogan contests).

Or if Newk somehow repeats his lazy 40 from the 2023 game?

Doggies brought physical pressure to the Giants last week, even their lesser lights. Expect them to try the same this week, so I hope our boys are willing to settle into a dour contested struggle, after a few weeks of Hollywood football.

Just hoping their forwards have an ordinary night in front of goals, but the reverse for our boys. A lot resting on our blue collar mids against their AA stars. Is it too much to ask for "Free kick, Hawthorn" against a side that usually get the rub of the green?
The exact reason Finn should be playing to, the rolling midfield maul will be a battle

Nothing surer then the bulldogs players targeting Sicily and his shoulder and getting into his head.

He should take a leaf out of his predecessor's book and tape up the wrong shoulder. ;)

The exact reason Finn should be playing to, the rolling midfield maul will be a battle

Clarkson was not one for selecting a team that was reactive to what the other team might do in the heat of the game. He selected his best 22 and backed in his team to carry out his plan on the day/night.

I think Mitchell and the selection committee will adopt the same approach and won't be overtly reactive. If Maginness gets the nod, it's because he's earned it, not because Mitchell wants to counter some plan from the Bulldogs that the opposition scout has identified from poring over the tape.

Clarkson was not one for selecting a team that was reactive to what the other team might do in the heat of the game. He selected his best 22 and backed in his team to carry out his plan on the day/night.

I think Mitchell and the selection committee will adopt the same approach and won't be overtly reactive. If Maginness gets the nod, it's because he's earned it, not because Mitchell wants to counter some plan from the Bulldogs that the opposition scout has identified from poring over the tape.
Listening to Sam on 360 last night and that's exactly what he was inferring. Wants to keep things predictable within our walls and not be reactive to the opposition. Play to our strengths which the club believes is good enough to make us genuine threats.

Just finished watching Mitch on AFL360. I have zero doubt that we have the right man for sustained success over the next 5-10 years. His philosophies are well beyond his years of coaching experience.
I loved little things like removing the "er" from "faster, cleaner, stronger" which he appeared to come up with on the fly - pretty clever.

Basically saying that this week is same as any week - be fast, clean and strong

Last edited:
This is THE game.

If we win this I fancy us to make the Grand Final

I hope we don't go in as confident as some posters on here!

The Dogs are playing very good consistent footy and will be very hard to beat IMHO.

We would have to bring our very best football to beat this mob - underestimate them at your peril would be my message.

Bring the heat in front of 75,000 Hawks fans and maybe, just maybe, we get a win so memorable we all think - 'yeah, I was there'

We can win, but we need to play at our best.

Hawks by 19 pts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or if Newk somehow repeats his lazy 40 from the 2023 game?
I am very confident in Newc going off on Friday. Just picturing him grabbing the ball out of of the opening bounce and bouncing off a Bont tackle like he is a little kid trying to tackle his father and delivering the ball inside 50 hitting Chol on the chest.

Time for him to have his Bont on Hodge moment in 2016 and really cement himself on the big stage.

Their were countless games clarko played in an oppositions style to combat said style, that never took away from our own game, but we had the stars to make it happen.

Finn offers a really key piece if the bulldogs/treloar get a run on. They are the best pressure midfield side in the game to not expect it and plan for it would be pretty bizarre. I expect Mitchell to have planned for it but the players we have on the park to execute it will be key.

Their were countless games clarko played in an oppositions style to combat said style, that never took away from our own game, but we had the stars to make it happen.

Finn offers a really key piece if the bulldogs/treloar get a run on. They are the best pressure midfield side in the game to not expect it and plan for it would be pretty bizarre. I expect Mitchell to have planned for it but the players we have on the park to execute it will be key.
He spoke on 360 about it last night. He said all you can do is make the players aware of it.

I loved little things like removing the "er" from "faster, cleaner, stronger" which he appeared to come up with on the fly - pretty clever.

Basically saying that this week is same as any week - be fast, clean and strong
You can see it in our form line. Very consistent team performances carried by even contributions across the board. Each week a different handful might have an exceptional performance which more than covers for the odd few players having a down game.

This week is just a massive bonus for us Hawks fans.
What a year, but now there’s a chance to make an even bigger statement about where this list is headed.

Here’s hoping the players take their opportunity and get a taste of what a finals win is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back