Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Possibily... but SDK playing a full game on Saturday was a bit of a sign to me that we were happy with what we had and wanted to get more game time into him as we have the double chance.
Still though, it's weird to have him travel to Adelaide post injury unnecessarily if he's not going to play.

Would've thought him resting up at home for a semi/prelim final return, or even playing a half in the VFL would've been better for him in that case.

with you on this... if he wasn't fit, he wouldn't have travelled

If he wasn't fit he wouldn't have played VFL on Saturday

Stepping back for a moment, he played a full match on Saturday and we've been reluctant to elevate anyone this season from the VFL to AFL off short breaks, especially when they've played extended game time in the VFL

It's also not surprising to travel with a squad of at least 26 for the final - the VFL match isn't until Saturday, so plenty of time to return to Geelong & prepare for that, when we played Adelaide in round 2 we had to rush a couple of players over for coverage & swing a late change with Duncan rushing back to Geelong, so doubt we want to be in that situation again of potentially being caught short

Better to have coverage & not need it

About as melty as I can get is no DK and Bews in is perplexing. I understand the apparent positional imperative but just on “who would you rather” I’ve got to say DK.
Can’t really see a spot for DK this week and I don’t like him as the sub. Note that Blicays is on Sav and I like this as he will run him into the ground.

Still though, it's weird to have him travel to Adelaide post injury unnecessarily if he's not going to play.

Would've thought him resting up at home for a semi/prelim final return, or even playing a half in the VFL would've been better for him in that case.

It's a final, it's a flight to Adelaide, they'll be back in time for the VFL match on Saturday. Good to have the full compliment of traveling emergencies, just in case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bews has certainly come from nowhere to be playing this final. The likes of O’Connor, Mullin and Humphries were to picked ahead of him early to mid season. Was beaten by Rachelle in the Adelaide game, but here we are. With Tuohy needed as a wing, I assume Bews is sub.

SDK as an emergency is a head scratcher. If is fit, surely he plays, but then why play him full game in the VFL on Saturday?

Yeah because Bews is just too good to have as sub and is not an impact player suited to the sub role.
I'm just assuming they've got a lockdown role in mind for Bews so will want him on the entire game, otherwise why pick him? But he was the sub last match so maybe they've got other ideas.

It's a final, it's a flight to Adelaide, they'll be back in time for the VFL match on Saturday. Good to have the full compliment of traveling emergencies, just in case

That's it

We've seen with the trip to Darwin that SDK was named but pulled up sore after training and was a late out

We also don't know what's going to happen after today's training session or someone could fall ill tomorrow - thinking back a few years to a final against Sydney where Lonergan rocked up to the MCG not feeling great & he was sent home due to gastro

Better off having the coverage available & not needed, than from be caught short

Can’t really see a spot for DK this week and I don’t like him as the sub. Note that Blicays is on Sav and I like this as he will run him into the ground.
Who do you have on Dixon? I’d have Blicavs on him.

We've been burned by Rioli, Papley, even Higgins against the Saints. Some of the D50 stoppage defending against the Dogs was diabolical.

It is not a surprise to me that they have gone for a lockdown option in Bews.

I think Bews had his papers stamped but MOC with injury / form and Mullin being green has left Bews as the last man standing. Based on the Adelaide game against Rachele, Bews might not be any better but the options have been cycled through and he has been deemed the most trusted by CS.

I'd expect Tuohy to be the sub.

If Bews is the best small available to be the sub then so be it.
But Bews is not small, he is an overly bulked up medium sized player at 286cm and at least 90kg and is no longer quick off the mark. Maybe they think his size is needed for Rioli. And not picking SDK means Kolo and JHenry need to play on talls. Hang on, Rioli is only 175cm.

If he is tagged as aggressively at the centre bounce as he was in that other game he will get plenty of free kicks. Ball up checking seems to be more aggressively policed.

Interesting that AFL wise, PORT give away the most free kicks. There must be some method in their madness, maybe the old "professional free"to allow them to set up for their controlled game. Def taking their lives in their hands trying that on in finals. Overconfident if they think they can harass Stewie off the ball like last time. Just try it, you turnips.

But Bews is not small, he is an overly bulked up medium sized player at 286cm and at least 90kg and is no longer quick off the mark. Maybe they think his size is needed for Rioli. And not picking SDK means Kolo and JHenry need to play on talls. Hang on, Rioli is only 175cm.

286cm?

Put him at FF for cryin' out loud!

😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back