Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time I made an account instead of lurking and not contributing

Does anyone else think we should move Stewart to the centre bounce as soon as he realises he is getting tagged (if they go to tag him straight away... I can't see them tagging Jez)? Last time we let it wait too long and the tag went to his head, albeit it the case he has dealt with it much better as the season's progressed. Moving their tagger to centre bounce could also potentially force one of their star on-ballers to rotate out of centre bounce too, right?

I think an SDK-Neale-Blicavs ruck combination would suffice over playing Stanley. My view is we would be better served doing the straight change between SDK and Stanley rather than getting rid of someone else. Their forward line (without Dickson) are not particularly tall or effective so I don't see a necessity of keeping SDK in the backline all game. Obvious match up for him would be Ratugolea though, surely?

Frenetic pressure footy like we did in the first quarters against Sydney and Hawthorn during the season is what we need to emulate, and with Mannagh and a host of others (incl. Danger) in who didn't play last time, I'm optimistic about our chances. F50 pressure to keep the ball inside our 50 will be the downfall of PA, so let's hope O Henry properly earns his spot with hard efforts in the air and on the ground. Would like to see Bradley rewarded with a goal or two this week too...

Excited to see how Lawson goes in his first final too... I suspect his nonchalant level-headed nature is perfectly suited to an away final.

Cats by 16 for me

Welcome,

Stewart will start nearly every bounce he on the ground for in the centre, won't give the opposition an opportunity to get him off his groove

It's about time I made an account instead of lurking and not contributing

Does anyone else think we should move Stewart to the centre bounce as soon as he realises he is getting tagged (if they go to tag him straight away... I can't see them tagging Jez)? Last time we let it wait too long and the tag went to his head, albeit it the case he has dealt with it much better as the season's progressed. Moving their tagger to centre bounce could also potentially force one of their star on-ballers to rotate out of centre bounce too, right?

I think an SDK-Neale-Blicavs ruck combination would suffice over playing Stanley. My view is we would be better served doing the straight change between SDK and Stanley rather than getting rid of someone else. Their forward line (without Dickson) are not particularly tall or effective so I don't see a necessity of keeping SDK in the backline all game. Obvious match up for him would be Ratugolea though, surely?

Frenetic pressure footy like we did in the first quarters against Sydney and Hawthorn during the season is what we need to emulate, and with Mannagh and a host of others (incl. Danger) in who didn't play last time, I'm optimistic about our chances. F50 pressure to keep the ball inside our 50 will be the downfall of PA, so let's hope O Henry properly earns his spot with hard efforts in the air and on the ground. Would like to see Bradley rewarded with a goal or two this week too...

Excited to see how Lawson goes in his first final too... I suspect his nonchalant level-headed nature is perfectly suited to an away final.

Cats by 16 for me

Stewart has almost been our #1 centre bounce attendee since the Essendon match - not sure that's going to change now

The question be, if/when Port start tagging him while he's playing that role, how will we respond then

Stewart has almost been our #1 centre bounce attendee since the Essendon match - not sure that's going to change now

The question be, if/when Port start tagging him while he's playing that role, how will we respond then
I want someone tagging Stewart at every CBA.

That means only 2 Port players fully concentrating on winning the clearance and not 3.

As per 9 news

NO CHANGE
So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

In what world did Mullin work last time we played them, their midfield ****ing destroyed us and all he did was turn the ball over, they are absolute idiots if they do that rubbish in a final.
They did destroy us....prior to halftime.

Whether you believe in causation or correlation or anything like that regarding Mullin is up to you.

However, the facts are the game turned in our favour once Mullin was on the the field tagging JHF.

You can question his impact, the part he played in that comeback, or if we should do it again. That's fine.

What you can't do is apply any of the blame for that loss to Mullin like you're doing. All of the damage was done before he even got on the field.

Also noted by Champion Data this interesting stat i thought was applicable

The stat measures games where games consists of more ground balls than uncontested marks or vice-versa
More uncontested marks than ground balls equals a "control based game", the opposite is a "chaotic based game"

During the Home and Away season, 50% of games are played in "control based game"
During the Home and Away season, 49% of games are played in "chaotic based game"
During the Home and Away season, 1% of games are a 50/50 "control/chaos game"

Of all Finals played since stats were recorded for it, 80% of the time they are played in a "chaotic style game"

Geelong is the number 1 team in the comp to play a "chaotic style game"
Port Adelaide is one of the lowest teams in the League to play "chaotic style games"
Majority of Cats wins are chaos style games, Port with control based games.

Geelong of 2019-2021 were number 1 in control based games, completely flipped from 2022 onward.

What has our Finals results been like since the flip?
3-0 Win/Loss record

Port are literally just us from 2019-2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per 9 news

NO CHANGE
About as melty as I can get is no DK and Bews in is perplexing. I understand the apparent positional imperative but just on “who would you rather” I’ve got to say DK.

From during the last quarter of Saturday's VFL match:
I'm thinking he'll be an emergency and we'll go in unchanged

Sam is still rucking 10 minutes into the last - not sure they're going to have him backing up off a 5 day break

Then from Saturday night:
I can see Merrick & Mullin named as emergencies

At halftime i was pretty confident we'd be seeing SDK named in the 22 come Wednesday night - but with him playing all 4 quarters, I'm 50/50 in regards to him playing Thursday night & wouldn't be surprised if to see him named as an emergency

So, Knevitt & Rohan lose their spots on the emergency list to be replaced by O'Connor and SDK (or if he's in the 22, whoever's spot he takes)

I'm most surprised that Rohan kept his spot as an emergency after his match on Saturday, but stepping back for a moment & thinking about it, it also somewhat makes sense as he's the forward who's next in line - so we've opted for an emergency list containing a tall, forward and defensive options

If he is tagged as aggressively at the centre bounce as he was in that other game he will get plenty of free kicks. Ball up checking seems to be more aggressively policed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back