Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what came to mind last night.
Ginnivan gets ahead of himself, mouths off and looks like a fool….never mentioning Port at all.
Kern takes a 21 year olds post to heart, uses it to motivate a win, gets ahead of himself, mouths off to opposition players showing no respect and goes on to lose another prelim.

What a f***ing hypocritical fool.
Port wins a final during an opposition milestone game. Gets his team to clap him off while getting all lippy at the club while he’s being chaired off

Port loses a final during an opposition milestone game. He and his players flee to the changerooms and the opposition chair their player off alone.

I'm all for bashing Port, but Hawks were one of the hottest teams going around. They did very well to beat them IMO, particularly given the players they had out (Dixon not included). They also responded to what was an embarrassing loss the week before. I certainly didn't expect them to win.

They were totally outclassed in the other 2 finals though, and the scoreboard even flattered them a little given total scoring shots they had. If Swans didn't try to be so fancy all the time they would have won by more.

It's obvious that the players love Ken, but the game plan just doesn't stack up under finals pressure. Bombing it in long at every opportunity and hoping for the best just doesn't work like it does against the bottom teams.

Port also seem to win a lot of close games EVERY year. This can't be put down to a fluke as it happens so often, but it also flatters their W/L record and has them higher placed on the ladder than they should be.

Anyway, bring on more missing pieces in the off season!
Port finished 2nd and played at home against the team that finished 7th (Hawks also had a very generous draw) who were missing their best mid and a key defender. And only won because Hawthorn missed several chances to win.
Not a lot to be cheering for in reality.

Who tagged him in the Hawthorn game?

Great players work through tags.

Butters is a front runner, can operate when unchecked or the game is easy.

He is yet to have a good game in a Final.

I am not saying he is a bad player. But he is not as great as the hype suggests. He is a highly skilled support player. Not the main man.

JHF is the real deal. Yes little impact last night. But he is a third year player carrying the grunt of that midfield. Ran out of gas last night. Plus the head knock.

If Port were the smart traders they are fabled to be, they would trade out Butters now to get in an elite key forward.

Butters is similar to Sloane.

Never going to be that game changing midfielder like Dangerfield - suffers when tagged - hard at it and brave - well above an average player.

I wouldn’t say Sloane ever dominated a final series, was serviceable but never grabbed one and put his team on his shoulders.

Rozee is outside outside. Very quick and elusive, really good skills. I think he and Luko have a similar mo.

JHF on the other hand, if he can get a bit smarter on how to use his advantages … going to be one hell of a big game player.

1726884205065-png.2116789

Butters is similar to Sloane.

Never going to be that game changing midfielder like Dangerfield - suffers when tagged - hard at it and brave - well above an average player.

I wouldn’t say Sloane ever dominated a final series, was serviceable but never grabbed one and put his team on his shoulders.

Rozee is outside outside. Very quick and elusive, really good skills. I think he and Luko have a similar mo.

JHF on the other hand, if he can get a bit smarter on how to use his advantages … going to be one hell of a big game player.
JHF is an absolute bull, doesn't protect himself that well in the contest.

That could be an issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I slept well last night. Then I woke up this morning, the sun was shining and the birds were singing.
Feels like all is right in the World

You think that was good, I can only imagine how good it was for the bed wetters waking up with dry sheets this morning.

I was waiting for Sydney’s chief protagonist Tom Papley to give Kenny a send off. Disappointing that didn’t happen.
His flog behaviour is much more palatable when it's aimed at the power.

Was hoping he would bring out the aeroplane.

Port wins a final during an opposition milestone game. Gets his team to clap him off while getting all lippy at the club while he’s being chaired off

Port loses a final during an opposition milestone game. He and his players flee to the changerooms and the opposition chair their player off alone.
That's why we hate them.

I'm glad someone else noticed that

Bad winners, sore losers. Has it ever been any different?

Hinkley has continued to top up for missing pieces giving away valuable picks for duds and will leave their list at a worst state then when he took over. We have a core group of quality youngsters coming through so ours isn't as a long way back as most think.

Think the point that has been missed is they haven’t had a R1 pick since 2021 (Josh Sinn). They used 2022 and 2023 to get him and 2024 was given to Freo to get a stack of minor picks.

Butters comes out of contract in 2026 so will be interesting what transpires over next 12 months. Will get extend before the start of 2026 season or will he be heading east?

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back