Adelaide AFL 2024 Midseason Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

hwB4Q04.gif

The rumour was that the club really wanted him and told him to “pit the cue in the rack” a few weeks ago to not attract attention to himself..

So they are probably happy with grabbing him at 7..

Its fxxkn it up and missing out on the next player they wanted due to stupidity that looks to have cost.

How much whinging has been on this board as we don’t have a young developing ruck?

So we prioritise one in the MSD - which outside of the first couple of picks is essentially a ruckman/development draft anyway

And we still complain!

Beeken is 24 I think. Has some talent and may even get a go in Brisbane due to all their ACL’s

But probably won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very on brand. Would’ve enjoyed a Beecken pick at 7 personally.

Given Murray did a medical, that indicates more than 1 club nominated him

Which means he probably doesn’t get through to our second pick. Yes if it was only the Saints but we don’t know that

So no risk policy - we had invested 6-8 months in this kid. He was clearly the target if he met expectations

We could have given Sog a proper rest. Then add Tex and Smith to the list and where the chips fall, they fall. Instead we front up with our best team to max out on a side we knew we'd beat by 10 goals anyway.
Weren't you one of the posters who thought West Coast would win???

Adelaide has tonight secured 201cm forward/ruck Toby Murray with Pick No.7 in the AFL’s Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

The younger brother of Nick who has played 46 AFL games for the Crows, Murray has been part of Adelaide’s SANFL team this season after moving from Victoria.

The 20-year-old is originally from Henty in NSW and played under-18s with the Murray Bushrangers. He also played with Collingwood’s VFL team in 2002 before joining the Wangaratta Rovers in the Ovens and Murray League last year.

This season he joined Nick in Adelaide and has played five SANFL games for the Crows while working full-time.

He kicked four goals against South Adelaide in Round 1 and had 16 disposals and seven marks against Port Adelaide in Round 5.

His unconventional path to an AFL list is similar to Nick who joined the Crows as a rookie during the AFL’s pre-season supplemental selection period in March, 2021. Their other brother Sam played 13 games for Collingwood in 2018.

In a timely quirk, both Nick and Toby will play together this Saturday with Nick returning from a knee reconstruction in the SANFL against West Adelaide.

Adelaide’s National Recruiting Manager Hamish Ogilvie described Murray as a versatile key position player who will join the Club on an 18-month contract.

“We’ve had a chance to have a good look at Toby this year and are very pleased with him,” Ogilvie said.

“He’s put on some size and strength while working on a farm full-time which shows a great attitude and appetite for hard work.

“He played strong footy against men for Wangaratta Rovers last year and we think as a 20-year-old 200cm player he’s got plenty of scope and time to improve.

“And it’s an area of the ground we need some support in going forward so it’s pleasing to add to our forward/ruck stocks.”

Murray was Adelaide’s only selection in the mid-season draft.

“We need to keep some list flexibility for what we may want to do at the end of the year so were keen to keep our options open,” Ogilvie said.

“And also with the view to the talent pool in this year’s national draft being quite strong.

“It was never our intention to select three players just for the sake of it or just to bolster our SANFL team.”

We could have given Sog a proper rest. Then add Tex and Smith to the list and where the chips fall, they fall. Instead we front up with our best team to max out on a side we knew we'd beat by 10 goals anyway.
For what though? If this was round 24 sure I would understand the argument that there's nothing much to gain and we could get an earlier draft pick, but it's round 11. Even once the four points is assured the season is still live so we want to maximise percentage against our rivals.

And even accounting for that we actually did rest a player in the middle of the game, so it's not as though we went all out for every point anyway. Oh and we also got our guy in the MSD, so at most we are talking about our second pick. I get being a believer in tanking but tanking for a bunch of players who will likely never play an AFL game is next level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incipid club once again shoots itself in the foot…

“Yah, we smashed those west coast witches hats”.. and stuffed our midseason draft position losing out on a player we wanted in the process.

What an achievement.
I'm not sure we would have lost even if we had tanked. West Coast's tanking game is just too good.

Why are we so conservative. clearly every other club saw value in filling their list whats so special about us lmao

Did they? Richmond have a monster injury list and clearly beginning a rebuild based on where they are at. They passed.

Brisbane passed on a pick. Leading in everyone said there wasn’t much depth - I think Twomey had alluded to everyone hailing the same 10 players pretty much

We're gonna be keeping some deadwood on our list next year from the looks of it. Got about 8-9 guys I'd have on the delist pile currently, we're gonna be keeping guys just for the sake of it at this rate.

I assume you would have the McHenrys, Sholls etc on that list of 8-9?

These guys aren’t getting delisted - Sholl is pushing to stake a best 22 claim, and Ned will remain as depth

Hopefully we have 5-6 changes at the end of the year. Parnell, Sloane, EH will be gone. Possibly Smith, Gollant, Borlase and Bond.

I expect 1-3 of the above to survive depending on if we manage 1,2 or 3 recruits

Sanfl 'oh no, the AFL midseason draft will decimate our league and its integrity, woe is us!'

AFL Midseason draft: nope your leagues shit.

Not a lot can be said other than of the 4 players taken from the Sanfl, only 2 came from outside the reserves teams. Thats a telling stat as to where the league currently sits on talent tbh.
Same league that smoked both Victoria and WA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back