Adelaide AFL 2024 Midseason Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would resting Sog, Smith and Tex be tanking? You'd be doing it to improve upcoming performances.
I thought we were talking about leaving players out in the hope that we'd reduce our winning margin against West Coast to improve our MSD draft hand so we could get whichever player we want at pick 17 or whatever? That's what my post was responding to.

If it's just player management because players need to be managed that's obviously not tanking (since the goal is to perform better on the ladder overall), but intentionally trying to reduce your winning margin to avoid passing someone on the ladder is tanking (since the goal is to perform worse on the ladder). And my argument is that tanking for the mid season draft is stupid.

I thought we were talking about leaving players out in the hope that we'd reduce our winning margin against West Coast to improve our MSD draft hand so we could get whichever player we want at pick 17 or whatever? That's what my post was responding to.

If it's just player management because players need to be managed that's obviously not tanking (since the goal is to perform better on the ladder overall), but intentionally trying to reduce your winning margin to avoid passing someone on the ladder is tanking (since the goal is to perform worse on the ladder). And my argument is that tanking for the mid season draft is stupid.

It's the sheer short sightedness that's being discussed. So it's both. Not taking an obvious opportunity to rest sore players, which will pay dividends going forward and also potentially improve that draft hand. The draft hand improvement would be a potential fringe benefit that if we'd considered properly managing the players, may have come to fruition. And as you say, we reclaim the lost points going forward.

Whatever did happen to Tex's season being, "more about quality over quantity" anyway? How many times has he already played clearly sore?

Given Murray did a medical, that indicates more than 1 club nominated him

Which means he probably doesn’t get through to our second pick. Yes if it was only the Saints but we don’t know that

So no risk policy - we had invested 6-8 months in this kid. He was clearly the target if he met expectations

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We would know, we can just ask Murray

Couple of things at play here especially after the Brett Turner experiment, it’s quite obvious Ogilvie doesn’t like the mid-season draft as a concept whatsoever and never has and that Turner experiment further confirmed to them that unless there’s a player they have extensive knowledge of (under their noses in their SANFL team or the really ultra-rare interstate kid that was on the club’s draft list the previous year after tracking them from the under 16s that is happy to pack up their bags and move) they aren’t picking anyone.

Going further down the rabbit hole I suppose you would ask the question whether the close connections Adam Kelly and John Olsen have with the SANFL means they’ve assured their SANFL friends they are not going to “ruin their league” by selecting SANFL players.
You’re not serious with that last suggestion?

While lacking faith in most list management decisions I tend to think whinging about a pass in the Mid Season Rookie Draft is akin to a child throwing a tantrum that mum and dad didn't buy the cheap, plastic toy that would inevitably be thrown out after six months after needlessly cluttering the house.

We would know, we can just ask Murray

Correct. The club would know - the we I was talking about was this board

So you agree then that we had to take Murray first because we would have known he wouldn’t get to our second pick?
Or do assume once again that the hierarchy have no idea?

Correct. The club would know - the we I was talking about was this board

So you agree then that we had to take Murray first because we would have known he wouldn’t get to our second pick?
Or do assume once again that the hierarchy have no idea?

I actually never made a comment about that, I said the club would know who Murray had the medical with.

Could have been a club beforehand and they still didn’t want to take the risk he’d be picked up by another team, I don’t have a problem with picking him at 7 as he was our clear target and is a need.

While lacking faith in most list management decisions I tend to think whinging about a pass in the Mid Season Rookie Draft is akin to a child throwing a tantrum that mum and dad didn't buy the cheap, plastic toy that would inevitably be thrown out after six months after needlessly cluttering the house.
Hmmm I wonder who this is...

Sad Baby GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s been a tough week for the Tools and Trolls.

After declaring that we would lose to the Eagles they had to quickly go to plan B - the game was meaningless, we should have rested our players against the blue and yellow cones.

A promising start before the MSD - “Another club will steal Murray from under our nose, fxxxin incompetent crows” (West Coast took Hutchinson from the Collingwood VFL, St Kilda took Hall from the Box Hill Hawks, Brisbane took McLachlan from the Geelong Falcons, Richmond took Gray from Essendon VFL, lots of incompetent clubs?).
Sadly for the T&Ts we got our man.

Lucky there was a Plan B - If we picked up Beecken (can’t remember a single T&T mentioning him prior to the mid season draft) or McLennan then “Here we go again, trying to win SANFL games with spuds who will never play AFL”

Beecken taken by Brisbane “Fxxxin incompetent Crows, we should have tanked for Beecken. Sloaney has cost us another gun”.

No need to throw the toys out of the cot, we are a 50/50 chance to lose to the Hawks on Saturday………..and if we win, then they were just talentless cones.

Last edited:

After declaring that we would lose to the Eagles they had to quickly go to plan B - the game was meaningless, we should have rested our players against the blue and yellow cones.

A promising start before the MSD - “Another club will steal Murray from under our nose, fxxxin incompetent crows” (West Coast took Hutchinson from the Collingwood VFL, St Kilda took Hall from the Box Hill Hawks, Brisbane took McLachlan from the Geelong Falcons, Richmond took Gray from Essendon VFL, lots of incompetent clubs?).

Lucky there was a Plan B - If we picked up Beecken (can’t remember a single T&T mentioning him prior to the mid season draft) or McLennan then “Here we go again, trying to win SANFL games with spuds who will never play AFL”

Beecken taken by Brisbane “Fxxxin incompetent Crows, we should have tanked for Beecken. Sloaney has cost us another gun”.

No need to throw the toys out of the cot, we are a 50/50 chance to lose to the Hawks on Saturday………..and if we win, then they were just talentless cones.

Spot on!

Sad to see some are unable to find the balance between recognising their relentless pessimism and calling anything other than this the 'happy clapper' brigade. Hard to conceive anybody wishing their club to have won by less (finals very unlikely, but given other draws percentage might still play a role) for a realistically quite meaningless mid season draft, based on the weight of evidence and history about successful picks, particularly after the first few.

You remember you’ve admitted to being a troll right?

Yeah nah (bolded bit). IF the club was keen to bring Beecken in and had any sniff that Brisbane were also interested, then some slight in game management last week could have meant a 90 point win instead of a 99 point win and we get the pick before Brisbane and get both the guys we want. Its not as if we had to toss the game to be below Brisbane. Now if it was another club keen, then it would have been irrelevant but as us and Brisbane are neck and neck, we had the ability to control the outcome to work for us an didn't.....assuming we wanted Beecken who from reports looks a decent prospect.

Now if it was another club keen, then it would have been irrelevant but as us and Brisbane are neck and neck, we had the ability to control the outcome to work for us an didn't.....

assuming we wanted Beecken who from reports looks a decent prospect.
Have you ever watched Beecken play (in person or on the box)? How would you compare him to Nankervis, Hamill, Parnell, Milera, Curtin, Ryan, Edwards and Bond? What is his stand out attribute(s) that would put him in front of the 8 players mentioned, who will be fighting out for the 2-3 small/medium defenders next year.

Imho, the MSD is for long shots who have one or more outstanding features despite many deficiencies. Toby Murray is tall, has a good leap and can take a strong contested mark. I am struggling to find the special things that will help Beecken to succeed but good luck to the lad, I hope he beats the odds.

Have you ever watched Beecken play (in person or on the box)? How would you compare him to Nankervis, Hamill, Parnell, Milera, Curtin, Ryan, Edwards and Bond? What is his stand out attribute(s) that would put him in front of the 8 players mentioned, who will be fighting out for the 2-3 small/medium defenders next year.

Imho, the MSD is for long shots who have one or more outstanding features despite many deficiencies. Toby Murray is tall, has a good leap and can take a strong contested mark. I am struggling to find the special things that will help Beecken to succeed but good luck to the lad, I hope he beats the odds.
Speed, run/carry, good kick. All attributes that should help you make it in the modern game

But yeah, can’t get too cut up about it now

Speed, run/carry, good kick. All attributes that should help you make it in the modern game

But yeah, can’t get too cut up about it now
Wouldn't have minded getting him.

But to think we'd try to manipulate in game results because he's such an extraordinary prospect ...

C'mon. That's one of the silliest things said on here.

Was going to post similar but that’s no longer required. 10/10

Yeah nah (bolded bit). IF the club was keen to bring Beecken in and had any sniff that Brisbane were also interested, then some slight in game management last week could have meant a 90 point win instead of a 99 point win and we get the pick before Brisbane and get both the guys we want. Its not as if we had to toss the game to be below Brisbane. Now if it was another club keen, then it would have been irrelevant but as us and Brisbane are neck and neck, we had the ability to control the outcome to work for us an didn't.....assuming we wanted Beecken who from reports looks a decent prospect.
How would you suggest we could have manipulated the outcome to ensure we didn't finish above Brisbane?

And do you seriously believe that any AFL club would do this in order to get a better draft pick in a mid season draft? Imagine getting caught doing this and getting sanctioned and penalized by the AFL, all just to try and improve our mid season draft pick.

How would you suggest we could have manipulated the outcome to ensure we didn't finish above Brisbane?

And do you seriously believe that any AFL club would do this in order to get a better draft pick in a mid season draft? Imagine getting caught doing this and getting sanctioned and penalized by the AFL, all just to try and improve our mid season draft pick.
How?..you mean like take off a couple of our prime movers, instruct the side in the last 2 minutes or whatever to slow the game down and possess the ball, that sort of stuff.

And in answer to the second part, if we are 85+ points up at that stage, do you really think the AFL is going to investigate resting a couple of your key mids and a side playing to wind the game down instead of trying to get that 1 or 2 extra goals in junk time?? really??

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide AFL 2024 Midseason Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back