Adelaide AFL 2024 Midseason Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume you would have the McHenrys, Sholls etc on that list of 8-9?

These guys aren’t getting delisted - Sholl is pushing to stake a best 22 claim, and Ned will remain as depth

Hopefully we have 5-6 changes at the end of the year. Parnell, Sloane, EH will be gone. Possibly Smith, Gollant, Borlase and Bond.

I expect 1-3 of the above to survive depending on if we manage 1,2 or 3 recruits

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I do not have Sholl on the list, McHenry would be though, he adds very little in the grand scheme of things. Smith, Himmelberg, Bond, Gollant, McHenry, Parnell, Sloane, Berry as trade/delist, then you've still got a ? on guys like Hamill and Borlase as well.

I assume you would have the McHenrys, Sholls etc on that list of 8-9?

These guys aren’t getting delisted - Sholl is pushing to stake a best 22 claim, and Ned will remain as depth

Hopefully we have 5-6 changes at the end of the year. Parnell, Sloane, EH will be gone. Possibly Smith, Gollant, Borlase and Bond.

I expect 1-3 of the above to survive depending on if we manage 1,2 or 3 recruits

Parnell’s on the rookie list still, so delisting him doesn’t open up a senior spot

Sloane, EH, Ned, Gollant, Bond maybe are the ones to go? Hopefully not Keane

Sanfl 'oh no, the AFL midseason draft will decimate our league and its integrity, woe is us!'

AFL Midseason draft: nope your leagues shit.

Not a lot can be said other than of the 4 players taken from the Sanfl, only 2 came from outside the reserves teams. Thats a telling stat as to where the league currently sits on talent tbh.

Evans is a Norwood player on loan to Port. Similar arrangement as Welsh but just a year older. It's good for him, he was unlucky to miss out.

Couple of things at play here especially after the Brett Turner experiment, it’s quite obvious Ogilvie doesn’t like the mid-season draft as a concept whatsoever and never has and that Turner experiment further confirmed to them that unless there’s a player they have extensive knowledge of (under their noses in their SANFL team or the really ultra-rare interstate kid that was on the club’s draft list the previous year after tracking them from the under 16s that is happy to pack up their bags and move) they aren’t picking anyone.

Going further down the rabbit hole I suppose you would ask the question whether the close connections Adam Kelly and John Olsen have with the SANFL means they’ve assured their SANFL friends they are not going to “ruin their league” by selecting SANFL players.

Parnell’s on the rookie list still, so delisting him doesn’t open up a senior spot

Keane is contracted for next year.

He isn't going anywhere.

Adelaide has tonight secured 201cm forward/ruck Toby Murray with Pick No.7 in the AFL’s Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

The younger brother of Nick who has played 46 AFL games for the Crows, Murray has been part of Adelaide’s SANFL team this season after moving from Victoria.

The 20-year-old is originally from Henty in NSW and played under-18s with the Murray Bushrangers. He also played with Collingwood’s VFL team in 2002 before joining the Wangaratta Rovers in the Ovens and Murray League last year.

This season he joined Nick in Adelaide and has played five SANFL games for the Crows while working full-time.

He kicked four goals against South Adelaide in Round 1 and had 16 disposals and seven marks against Port Adelaide in Round 5.

His unconventional path to an AFL list is similar to Nick who joined the Crows as a rookie during the AFL’s pre-season supplemental selection period in March, 2021. Their other brother Sam played 13 games for Collingwood in 2018.

In a timely quirk, both Nick and Toby will play together this Saturday with Nick returning from a knee reconstruction in the SANFL against West Adelaide.

Adelaide’s National Recruiting Manager Hamish Ogilvie described Murray as a versatile key position player who will join the Club on an 18-month contract.

“We’ve had a chance to have a good look at Toby this year and are very pleased with him,” Ogilvie said.

“He’s put on some size and strength while working on a farm full-time which shows a great attitude and appetite for hard work.

“He played strong footy against men for Wangaratta Rovers last year and we think as a 20-year-old 200cm player he’s got plenty of scope and time to improve.

“And it’s an area of the ground we need some support in going forward so it’s pleasing to add to our forward/ruck stocks.”

Murray was Adelaide’s only selection in the mid-season draft.

“We need to keep some list flexibility for what we may want to do at the end of the year so were keen to keep our options open,” Ogilvie said.

“And also with the view to the talent pool in this year’s national draft being quite strong.

“It was never our intention to select three players just for the sake of it or just to bolster our SANFL team.”
6 month contracts end before the draft. So that point is moot. Not sure why Hamish even said that to be honest.

Why don't we want to bolster our SANFL team? Has he seen the players in that team? I'd like him to actually justify his reasoning.

But tanking for Beeken in the second round of the MSD.... you gotta be kidding.

6 month contracts end before the draft. So that point is moot. Not sure why Hamish even said that to be honest.

Why don't we want to bolster our SANFL team? Has he seen the players in that team? I'd like him to actually justify his reasoning.

It's not tanking to win a game by 80 instead of 100

I doubt anyone that got drafted would appreciate hearing that they were selected solely to bolster the two’s

The dream is to play at AFL level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keane will still be contracted. I doubt we let him go without something extraordinary coming back

It's not tanking to win a game by 80 instead of 100

After the start we had, you - and plenty of others - would be bitching about how we didn’t put them away, no killer instinct etc

Now it’s we should have perfected our win so our percentage was just lower than Brisbanes so we could finish below them to get a second round MSD pick in front of them.

The mental gymnastics that goes on with this board to find a negative about the club and those that run it - truly brilliant

Shame to miss out on Beecken due to percentage, but oh well. We already have plenty of mids who can't get a game in the senior team without needing another.

Would have been foolish to roll the dice on Murray if he's the one we wanted.
Reason I liked Beecken is he would’ve added some speed and run/carry, something our 22 needs more of (Rankine really the only best 22 guy that provides it right now)

Hopefully we can address it in the off-season

We could have given Sog a proper rest. Then add Tex and Smith to the list and where the chips fall, they fall. Instead we front up with our best team to max out on a side we knew we'd beat by 10 goals anyway.

we did? Tbh it felt like a danger game heading.

that it should not have been a danger game in the first place is a separate argument

Good argument.

West Coast is a great team because they smoked Fremantle & Melbourne.

SANFL is terrible. Bunch of plumbers and electricians.

The Sanfl isn't terrible as a whole, its just terrible when it comes to players demonstrating qualities that would allow them to succeed at AFL level. Its an entirely differen't beast. The same way you could say you could put an All Star Amateur team together and they'd get pummelled by the worst Sanfl team. IS the state Sanfl team played North, North would flog them into next week.

“We need to keep some list flexibility for what we may want to do at the end of the year so were keen to keep our options open,” Ogilvie said.

“And also with the view to the talent pool in this year’s national draft being quite strong.

“It was never our intention to select three players just for the sake of it or just to bolster our SANFL team.”

Does Ogilvie understand that you can offer a 6 month contract and have exactly the same options open?

Just cannot fathom why we would pass on selections. Its an absolute free hit.

The Sanfl isn't terrible as a whole, its just terrible when it comes to players demonstrating qualities that would allow them to succeed at AFL level. Its an entirely differen't beast. The same way you could say you could put an All Star Amateur team together and they'd get pummelled by the worst Sanfl team. IS the state Sanfl team played North, North would flog them into next week.

Yes the SANFL is pretty terrible as a whole.

How much whinging has been on this board as we don’t have a young developing ruck?

So we prioritise one in the MSD - which outside of the first couple of picks is essentially a ruckman/development draft anyway

And we still complain!

Beeken is 24 I think. Has some talent and may even get a go in Brisbane due to all their ACL’s

But probably won’t.

Whos complaininh about getting Turray?… not me..

I’m just pissed that once again we sabotaged our ability to get what we needed after that by a pointless massive win over west coast..

For what though? If this was round 24 sure I would understand the argument that there's nothing much to gain and we could get an earlier draft pick, but it's round 11. Even once the four points is assured the season is still live so we want to maximise percentage against our rivals.

And even accounting for that we actually did rest a player in the middle of the game, so it's not as though we went all out for every point anyway. Oh and we also got our guy in the MSD, so at most we are talking about our second pick. I get being a believer in tanking but tanking for a bunch of players who will likely never play an AFL game is next level.

Why would resting Sog, Smith and Tex be tanking? You'd be doing it to improve upcoming performances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide AFL 2024 Midseason Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back