News Logan Austin signs for West Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty cringeworthy some of the bitterness here.

If St Kilda have sold him a likely starting spot in their 22, then as a kid who has been and fairly likely to continue to be behind similar types and age group here then pretty hard to not take it. I think we did have long term plan for him, but hard to get through to a kid that who's getting promises for the now from elsewhere when he wants to establish a career.

The only issue I can see with this trade is that we didn't play him enough to get better value from the trade.
Injuries and subsequent loss of form played a part in that. That's the way the cookie crumbled and there was not much we could do about it.

I got to see him live at the G Vs Collingwood and he looked as if he could turn into a Bishop Mk II type player so the potential was definitely there.

However the reality is that he was not first nor second drop, plus the players he is behind are young and won't retire for quite some time. With that sort of depth in KPDs that we have, and given he does not seem to be a player that can play other positions, one cannot blame him for seeking a trade to a team where he will get games.

Again, pity we didn't get his trade value up, but apart from that good luck to the kid. If the cards fall his way and stays fit, he should end up having a decent career at St Kilda.

as a real tall, he was not far behind in the pecking order. He will end up being the classical player who could have played in a grand final if he stays. If Howard gets injured, he would have replaced him.... silly boy.

Austin had an ordinary 2017, culminating in his Barry Crocker sanfl gf, but I am still not convinced the club has pulled the right rein in getting rid of a 21 yo 195 cm key defender who was under contract, and it won't surprise me greatly if this trade ends up biting us on the derriere.

Let's hope that if it does, the bite isn't as deep as the decision to get rid of Tom Harley, and all we have to show for it is another Adam Morgan. :rolleyes:

as a real tall, he was not far behind in the pecking order. He will end up being the classical player who could have played in a grand final if he stays. If Howard gets injured, he would have replaced him.... silly boy.
As a minimum he was behind Clurey, Howard, Hombsch and Jonas. Westhoff will play a different role now that we have Watts so our defensive structure may change to try and inject some more speed down back.

Yeah I too wish he stayed as imo the potential was there and the club could have played hardball, but one can also see it from his perspective.

If we get injuries yeah, that goes without saying for all players in any position, but right atm there is no way he would be guaranteed even one game over the next year or two.

If he ended up staying another two years and played next to no games that may have been the end of his AFL career. An opportunity presented itself and he had to make a call.

Biggest disappointment of his brief career at Alberton is that most people never used The Six-Million Dollar Man Steve Austin references. I mean, shit, no wrestler has ever had the balls to fight Bigfoot. Eh, a generational thing, I guess...

1xzg70.gif

Austin had an ordinary 2017, culminating in his Barry Crocker sanfl gf, but I am still not convinced the club has pulled the right rein in getting rid of a 21 yo 195 cm key defender who was under contract, and it won't surprise me greatly if this trade ends up biting us on the derriere.

Let's hope that if it does, the bite isn't as deep as the decision to get rid of Tom Harley, and all we have to show for it is another Adam Morgan. :rolleyes:

The club didn't get rid of him- he asked for a trade to St Kilda.

Your saying we should've taken the same stance as the crows did with Cameron and then ultimately fold?

If he wants a to go, he wants to go.

Best to do a deal and be professional about it.

The only issue I can see with this trade is that we didn't play him enough to get better value from the trade.
When Jonas was struggling 15/16 Logan barely got a sniff. Same with Sam Gray and Arch this year.
he does not seem to be a player that can play other positions,
When he and Dooogz were drafted iirc both were seen as KPD's or KPF's. Austin played CHF v Norwood at the Parade beginning of '16
did alright in a game where Robbie Young was our FF :eek:.
Well it's all too late now. If Ken leaves us falling off a cliff in 2020? it's with 20/20 hindsight that we might go hmmm
especially if Arch Impey and Logan have blossomed. Don't get me wrong i'm up n about with our trades but they're all 26+
and reports in the paper today about a 29yr old Lindsay Thomas heading our way

The club didn't get rid of him- he asked or a trade to St Kilda.

Your saying we should've taken the same stance as the crows did with Cameron and then ultimately fold?

If he wants a to go, he wants to go.

Best to do a deal and be professional about it.
It will be interesting to see how Cameron's and Impey's careers turn out as IMO there isn't that much between them.
But right now one had peak currency and the other had the opposite.

When Jonas was struggling 15/16 Logan barely got a sniff. Same with Sam Gray and Arch this year.

When he and Dooogz were drafted iirc both were seen as KPD's or KPF's. Austin played CHF v Norwood at the Parade beginning of '16
did alright in a game where Robbie Young was our FF :eek:.
Well it's all too late now. If Ken leaves us falling off a cliff in 2020? it's with 20/20 hindsight that we might go hmmm
especially if Arch Impey and Logan have blossomed. Don't get me wrong i'm up n about with our trades but they're all 26+
and reports in the paper today about a 29yr old Lindsay Thomas heading our way
Thomas?
Nothing against Thomas himself but why would we need him? To play in what position?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To play in what position?
Might be media talk if not then Sammy Gray might be looking over his shoulder.
In all honesty my head is spinning after the last 2 weeks so it's a bit hard to focus on where our long term plans are.
I get that we're loading up for a serious tilt just hope we've got some backup ammo if we miss the mark.
Essendon and St Kilda are too, so maybe it's the modern way. Sentimentalists like me will front up again next year
at Alberton and AO but might need a budget for help on players' numbers.

Pretty cringeworthy some of the bitterness here.

If St Kilda have sold him a likely starting spot in their 22, then as a kid who has been and fairly likely to continue to be behind similar types and age group here then pretty hard to not take it. I think we did have long term plan for him, but hard to get through to a kid that who's getting promises for the now from elsewhere when he wants to establish a career.
Agree. I wish him all the best and dont blame him for wanting to leave, in fact I expected it. Doesnt make me any less annoyed though. Without that injury Im convinced he would have been our key CHB this year and his extra height would have balanced the team better. Alas. Port certainly has struggled to identify and develop tall CHBs over the years. Wakelin was great but not much since.

Might be media talk if not then Sammy Gray might be looking over his shoulder.
In all honesty my head is spinning after the last 2 weeks so it's a bit hard to focus on where our long term plans are.
I get that we're loading up for a serious tilt just hope we've got some backup ammo if we miss the mark.
Essendon and St Kilda are too, so maybe it's the modern way. Sentimentalists like me will front up again next year
at Alberton and AO but might need a budget for help on players' numbers.
Me too. I would be one of the most sentimental posters on here and it hurts losing loved players but in recent years we have been frustrated and we are crying out for ruthlessness and aggressiveness in player management. Come on down CD as it seems that"s what we are now getting.
Our neighbour has players year in year out clawing at the gates to leave them and though we mock the #exodusclub they continue to refresh, improve and perform.
We became staid and clogged up because no one wanted to leave fair Alberton.
Last year was a line in the sand moment yet we still couldn't manage to trade to save ourselves (but oh what a draft strategy we had.)
This year our new cunning plan is working and we have still done it in a compassionate way..
We have improved our list overnight.
CD I like your style.
Ken, make it happen :)

Ken, make it happen :)
No kidding. Yesterday I watched our 1st 1/2 v Geelong final in 2014 and was struck by our open flowing organised footy.
Don't know how/why we changed to what we've become but it ain't as fun or attractive any more.
Our list has turned over a fair bit since then (no Lobbe O Shea Tommy Logan The Hoon Schulz etc) with upgrades
replacing them and yet imo we've gone backwards. So as to my quote from your post ^ where are we if Ken can't make it happen?
given his contract extension.

Up shit creek in a barbwire canoe spearing tadpoles with a crowbar (boomer euphemism)

There is an article in The Age on Friday about Logan. Says he loved his time at Port and wanted more opportunities. Not sure how quickly he will get them based on Tony Elshaugh's statement. His best mate Jack Steele and recently retired cousin Sean Dempster were the draw cards as well.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ca...-jack-steele-at-st-kilda-20171018-gz3vdr.html
...."I loved my time here at Port, I loved all the players and the coaches and everyone, it was just the opportunities this year were a bit thin," Austin said."I felt my my football, my career and where I want to get to, it was my best decision to move across and find a home somewhere else. "I'm glad it's St Kilda - obviously my cousin played here for a fair few years and Jack obviously plays for them. It's good to be a St Kilda player."

St Kilda list manager Tony Elshaug said Austin will add important key position depth as the Saints look to return to the finals......
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ca...-jack-steele-at-st-kilda-20171018-gz3vdr.html

Logan Austin, wow. There's a blast from the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Logan Austin signs for West Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back