2nds Port Adelaide vs West Adelaide - Round 10 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Tommy A looks a fair way off the pace, is there something I’m missing about all the calls to select him, or is it just because he isn’t McEntee?
Nope that's about it

First quarter was great, this one is terrible. How can they be scoreless for an entire quarter. The breeze is strong but there's enough talent there to get the ball into scoring positions.
They had chances to hit the score board and blew the
Assuming Sinn can return from injury and pick up where he left off, and Bergman can return to form playing at HB, I don’t think there’s a future for Jones in our defence. Even moreso with Logan Evans and potentially Rome Burgoyne coming into the squad.

Why not give him an extended run at SANFL developing as a centresquare beast. He’s got a huge amount to work on - especially ball handling - but we might as well give it a go. Hell, the SANFL side have lacked severely in the midfield this year.
He’s not afl standard in my view.
His ball handling and decision making are not good enough.

He’ll be a 200 gamer for the WWT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I don’t think so. Once you get to a certain age the player they are is the player they will always be.
The decision making in particular
Agreed, Lachie Jones bull at the gate style can be handy at sanfl level as he showed when he went into the midfield yesterday, but his decision making and continual fumbling, where he too often lets the ball get behind him and his opponent between him and the goals can unfortunately be a recipe for disaster in AFL games.

Tommy A looks a fair way off the pace, is there something I’m missing about all the calls to select him, or is it just because he isn’t McEntee?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Na, you're spot on. Those calling for him either haven't watched him, or they're just seduced by the idea of playing a small forward we drafted for that role because it isn't McEntee.

I don't think he is even remotely close to selection to be honest. He was a travelling emergency once because they wanted to make sure Evans got a game that week, so he'd be ready for the next AFL game if required. He wasn't travelling emergency because he deserved selection.

McEntee isn't the future, neither is Evans or DBJ, but they're light years ahead of Tommy. Hopefully after a big preseason we see some good growth in Tommy's game.

Na, you're spot on. Those calling for him either haven't watched him, or they're just seduced by the idea of playing a small forward we drafted for that role because it isn't McEntee.

I don't think he is even remotely close to selection to be honest. He was a travelling emergency once because they wanted to make sure Evans got a game that week, so he'd be ready for the next AFL game if required. He wasn't travelling emergency because he deserved selection.

McEntee isn't the future, neither is Evans or DBJ, but they're light years ahead of Tommy. Hopefully after a big preseason we see some good growth in Tommy's game.
I’ve seen Tommy A play a few times at Alberton. Hasn’t shot the lights out but has done some nice things.

How can McIntee and Evans be light years ahead when their output in minimal.

Tommy didn't have his best outing yesterday, slipped a few times and hung onto the ball a bit too long a couple of times. But Port seemed to play him further upfield to use his pace and get him involved in the game. Small forwards are going to have games where they don't get a lot of it, can't judge him on the one game. He has shown good signs in other games, he's quick, feisty and can sniff out a goal.

As an aside, Preston CC looks to be that close to being a genuine prospect. He's a good size, has genuine wheels and can kick goals. He's kicked 11 goals in 4 games in the Adelaide Footy League, if he can translate that up to sanfl level, he could be alright.

Scoreboard

Port Adelaide 6.3 6.3 10.5 15.7 (97)

West Adelaide 1.3 4.8 5.13 10.17 (77)

Best: Finlayson, Sweet, Short, Jones

Goals: Scully 4, H. Ferrari 3, Dixon 2, Chamberlain, L. Evans, Finlayson, Jackson, O'Brien, Sweet

Tommy didn't have his best outing yesterday, slipped a few times and hung onto the ball a bit too long a couple of times. But Port seemed to play him further upfield to use his pace and get him involved in the game. Small forwards are going to have games where they don't get a lot of it, can't judge him on the one game. He has shown good signs in other games, he's quick, feisty and can sniff out a goal.

As an aside, Preston CC looks to be that close to being a genuine prospect. He's a good size, has genuine wheels and can kick goals. He's kicked 11 goals in 4 games in the Adelaide Footy League, if he can translate that up to sanfl level, he could be alright.
Reckon Tommy could learn a bit by watching West's Gore (kid who took that controversial mark) who has been very successful at least at SANFL level as a small forward. Seems to like to work his opponent up the ground then run back and try and expose them out one on one.Ferrari looked OK though .

Evans averages 20 and a goal at SANFL level.

If our current small forwards are light years ahead of Tommy A, he can't have been born yet.

There's no way he offers less than these guys. Evans 3d 0.0, McEntee 4d 0.0, Byrne-Jones 8d 0.1

How can you offer less than nothing?

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Port Adelaide vs West Adelaide - Round 10 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back