Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

perhaps not at the lower leagues. but certainly for the aflw it would be useful. the mens side of the game would have the most IP. have more staff etc. so the transfer of knowledge across would still be highly useful.

I know this contradicts my earlier statement about having former women players in the coaching ranks being beneficial. but perhaps both are true. greater transfer of knowledge + the knwoledge of what would work well in aflw.
I just think it’s a dead issue. The majority of coaches and support people in the women’s game are men; the most experienced women started playing at adult level near 30 years ago. For example, I’m a woman and played my first adult-level game 26 years ago.

Women who have been continuously involved in the game (not me!) will have as much experience as most male coaches, and as someone who played women’s contact sports for more than a decade, there was never any shortage of men getting involved. And not unqualified men either; I had one coach who had been drafted by Essendon, and another who’d coached David Mundy as a junior.

Which is to say, I strongly doubt that any improvement in the players this year is due to generic male involvement, although it could be through a better coach or coaches, of either sex!

I just think it’s a dead issue. The majority of coaches and support people in the women’s game are men; the most experienced women started playing at adult level near 30 years ago. For example, I’m a woman and played my first adult-level game 26 years ago.

Women who have been continuously involved in the game (not me!) will have as much experience as most male coaches, and as someone who played women’s contact sports for more than a decade, there was never any shortage of men getting involved. And not unqualified men either; I had one coach who had been drafted by Essendon, and another who’d coached David Mundy as a junior.

Which is to say, I strongly doubt that any improvement in the players this year is due to generic male involvement, although it could be through a better coach or coaches, of either sex!
Yep gender is not the relevant element to improvement, rather experience is (and understanding on how to best deploy that experience most effectively to that particular environment and players).

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back