List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a suggestion today on Trade Talk that they could attempt to do a swap with GCS for pick #6. Hopefully the Melbourne bid threat quells that idea and trading out becomes there only real option. However if they do look for a future 1st rounder swap then there is nothing preventing all the clubs having a go at it. Melbourne have said they are really keen to get another early pick so I expect pick #9 will become as popular the GCS pick #13 and create a bidding war.

If that occurs us suggesting we wont bid on Kako will have little weight, and the Bombers could do very well out of the situation. The entire industry knows this is a great draft, some clubs will have later future 1st round pick offers, but there will be nothing preventing them from offering a lot lot more. Particularly if players Essendon are interested in come into play.

Last edited:

Now he’s just somebody that we used to know

mtOz5K4.jpg
Now that’s one of your best!

There was a suggestion today on Trade Talk that they could attempt to do a swap with GCS for pick #6. Hopefully the Melbourne bid threat quells that idea and trading out becomes there only real option. However if they do look for a future 1st rounder swap then there is nothing preventing all the clubs having a go at it. Melbourne have said they are really keen to get another early pick so I expect pick #9 will become as popular the GCS pick #13 and create a bidding war.

If that occurs us suggesting we wont bid on Kako will have little weight, and the Bombers could do very well out of the situation. The entire industry knows this is a great draft, some clubs will have later future 1st round pick offers, but there will be nothing preventing them from offering a lot lot more. Particularly if players Essendon are interested in come into play.
I can't see the pick swap happening.
GC need #6 to get the Rioli deal done, min.

Tonights report contradicts Mitch Cleary's from last night that we were haggling over who pays the salary but thats trade period.

Sounds good for us if true.
If we haven't even picked up the phone to discuss macrae- safe to presume we've been working on more important stuff.

Macrae for stuff all is an excellent get for us, but glad to hear it's seemingly not our biggest fish to fry this year

Tonights report contradicts Mitch Cleary's from last night that we were haggling over who pays the salary but thats trade period.

Doggies taking a leaf out of the Dodo trade manual there - talking to the media instead of us and suggesting waaaaay overs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been going really hard at the FA market next year every year for about a decade now and all we have to show for it are guys like Cordy and Nathan Brown as short term solutions and Crouch who was under a lot of doubt due to injuries and also just had a drug issue.

The quality FAs either get re-signed, are traded out as pre-agents or go to the big clubs.

There is no way on Earth we should be factoring in the possible acquisition of guys like Balta, Brayshaw or LDU. We need to assume we miss out on them and if we do get lucky and snag one, it's a bonus. Keep some salary available to entice them, sure, but don't discount the worth of future picks on the basis of bringing those guys in.

The other thing we need to remember is that AFL lists have four types of currency to bring in talent, salary cap space, picks, players that can be traded and what I feel is being overlooked is list spaces.

If we go all in on this year's draft, we will still need to take 3 picks next year. I don't want to see us bring in 3 list bloggers from the end of the draft.
LDU
Aleer
King

3 lost spots sorted

Last edited:
I'm not over the moon about offering our second round pick.
It may turn up a player that's just as good as pick 9.
Not to mention that this time next year we're skimp.
I'm in the same boat as you.

I'd only like to see us trade 9 for 8 with a future second coming back our way IF and only if, we have at least two players we are happy to take with our second pick.

I'm not convinced we can say for sure that pick 9 this year will be better than pick 27 and a bloke that could potentially be a top 10 pick next year even if there are concerns it will be an academy heavy draft.

I think right now we would be ahead of Melbourne in the race for pick 9. However, if Clayton Oliver leaves and they get Geelong's Future 1st we could be in trouble. They'd have their own plus Geelong's to get back in with.

I have read a few on this board say this, but why exactly would we be ahead of Melbourne?

1728484197202.png

The Dons will need points from this year to match a bid on Kako. So if they lose 9, they need more points in this years than their pick 31 will generate.

So we can swap say pick 27 to add to Dons 31 to get Kako, which if he goes low will not be enough. 47 we may need for Macrae.. But we also say need

Dees have 28, but can sweeten the deal with any of 40, 49 and 54.

So yes F picks will need to be involved, but the Dees have more options to trade than we do. This could jack up the trade price of pick 9.

Melbourne's F1 and ours are of unknown value. With all the turmoil at the Dees there is case that they will crash and burn.

I don't know about the club itself, but my read from my 30 second scan of the club's trade thread on BF leads me to believe they are hanging to get rid of this guy.
Agree with this but they want something for him , no one is willing to cough up a first round draft pick and pay his stupid salary.
If they want him gone they will need to treat him like a salary dump.

I have read a few on this board say this, but why exactly would we be ahead of Melbourne?

View attachment 2136734

The Dons will need points from this year to match a bid on Kako. So if they lose 9, they need more points in this years than their pick 31 will generate.

So we can swap say pick 27 to add to Dons 31 to get Kako, which if he goes low will not be enough. 47 we may need for Macrae.. But we also say need

Dees have 28, but can sweeten the deal with any of 40, 49 and 54.

So yes F picks will need to be involved, but the Dees have more options to trade than we do. This could jack up the trade price of pick 9.

Melbourne's F1 and ours are of unknown value. With all the turmoil at the Dees there is case that they will crash and burn.
AND, Melbourne are ballers when it comes to trade time. Jason Taylor has a set on him and freely trades out futures like they're going out of fashion. This is who I am most scared of.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back