2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m now up to date with all the player highlights and for mine Lindsay is close to the most impressive at our range. He doesn’t have the same agility or explosiveness as FOS, Jagga, Reid or Lalor but he’s probably the cleanest and classiest and tackles with ferocity based on the small highlights packages I saw. Statistically he stacks up very favourably averaging 24 odd touches across all competitions. I suspect he is the bust proof guy we take with pick 8. Pick 7 take a punt on one of the big mids such as Smille or Langford or the Viking. This is of course if FOS, Jagga and Lalor don’t slide. Murphy hard pass. Just gets pushed off the ball too often and too easily.

Last edited:

Anyone think Luke Trainor (26) not contesting this contest is a bit worrying given concussion history potentially making him a bit 'gunshy'? Maybe I'm jumping at shadows

Also screwed our boy Cole over by not supporting him in the air but conversely did make Lindsay's kick look good

Going to be interesting if he gets ours correct this year. Sydney fans took a lot of pride in him always getting their picks completely wrong. Let's see if Dalrymple can continue to keep his picks secret.
Who cares if Twomey gets it correct or not. What matters is if Dalrymple gets them right. If he doesn't then I'll get him fired

Anyone think Luke Trainor (26) not contesting this contest is a bit worrying given concussion history potentially making him a bit 'gunshy'? Maybe I'm jumping at shadows

Also screwed our boy Cole over by not supporting him in the air but conversely did make Lindsay's kick look good

maybe but also I wouldn't want him to make that contest, the chance of injury/concussion is so high in those types of contests and it's just not worth it (not from like a mental health point of view, purely talking injury list here..) let them have the goal. Tight game in finals is a different story

maybe but also I wouldn't want him to make that contest, the chance of injury/concussion is so high in those types of contests and it's just not worth it (not from like a mental health point of view, purely talking injury list here..) let them have the goal. Tight game in finals is a different story
That was the Grand Final...

Smillie & Tauru would be great

Smillie & Lindsay would be nice

Langford & Tauru would be solid

Smillie & Langford would be ok

Tauru & Lindsay would annoy me

If we get 9:
Smillie Travaglia/Lindsay Tauru would be orgasmic
I’m worried about Smille.
Killed it in the first 10 weeks playing for Eastern Ranges as his size dominated the mids but when it was in the national carnival for vic metro he didn’t fire.

Taken from the carnival write up.

“Smillie entered the national carnival as a starring name for Vic Metro, but his campaign didn't reach the lofty heights others had set for him. His numbers were fine - he averaged 10 contested possessions from his 19 disposals and an impressive six clearances. He just wasn't quite his dominant self. Smillie didn't take a contested or intercept mark all carnival and used the ball at just 56% by foot. His size was often a non-factor as smaller midfielders went to work around him, and he missed All-Australian selection as a result.

More importantly, there were large patches of games where Smillie was absent. He never inserted himself into the contest through effort without the ball and sometimes watched on as the game intensified around him. He wasn't shy in lambasting teammates on-field, either. Draft watchers were left with more questions than answers for the pick one fancy.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Killed it in the first 10 weeks playing for Eastern Ranges as his size dominated the mids but when it was in the national carnival for vic metro he didn’t fire.

“Smillie entered the national carnival as a starring name for Vic Metro, but his campaign didn't reach the lofty heights others had set for him. His numbers were fine - he averaged 10 contested possessions from his 19 disposals and an impressive six clearances. He just wasn't quite his dominant self. Smillie didn't take a contested or intercept mark all carnival and used the ball at just 56% by foot. His size was often a non-factor as smaller midfielders went to work around him, and he missed All-Australian selection as a result.

More importantly, there were large patches of games where Smillie was absent. He never inserted himself into the contest through effort without the ball and sometimes watched on as the game intensified around him. He wasn't shy in lambasting teammates on-field, either. Draft watchers were left with more questions than answers for the pick one fancy.”
if he had as good a champs as he did the rest of the year he would be a lock for Pick 1. The only reason he is available to us is because of the less than expectations performance.

at 7 + 8 we aren't going to get the pick of the litter here, anyone that slides to us will have knocks on them but I think he would be best available and fit a need if he slides to 7.

Well, exactly that - elite kick. Doesn’t look like those outside / excellent kicks that have been failed high picks like O’Brien or Stephens in that he can play on ball and not all outside. Seems to have great composure too. But I doubt he’s going to be spending more time as an on baller than a winger or HBF.

Whether the style is something we need more of vs a more beast or more genuine speed though …

It will probably depend on the choices that we have and the pairing. Smilie and Langford probably not a great pairing. But not sure I’d want a combo involving Travaglia and Lindsay or one of those with a tall. And it’s very very hard to see one of FOS, Lalor, Draper or Smith getting through. Getting up to pick 5 would be handy.
Bo Allan is killing it at the combine.
He will feature around our picks.
The big-bodied midfielder offers a great mix of strength and speed, paired with excellent football IQ and leadership qualities.

We can effectively get close to landing all 3 using P43 and 1 or 2 more late picks

Which means 27 is able to be used on getting 9.

Future picks for Macrae and soldo.
I heard something along the lines that Cole will go into Sandy Zebras and he can be selected from there?
Or have I missed something…..

Tom Green also had a massive dip in form in the U18s championships - went from 33 disposals in the Talent League to 23.8 in the Champs. Maybe its just a different ball game at that level with different styles that lend to different skillsets

I know it was a long time ago but Patrick Cripps averaged 19 disposals in the Champs after averaging 25 disposals for East Fremantle. Smillie with 18.8 disposals in the Champs after 23.9 for Eastern Rangers

I wouldn't be too worried. If we pass on Smillie, who else are we taking? We don't have many options

Just take Smillie and Travaglia/Lindsay and run. No need to overthink it

Ok people its looking very much like Essendon have backed themselves into a corner with Kako and their pick #9. If we end up with pick #9 who do we take -

#7 Smillie/Langford
#8 Travaglia/Reid
#9 Hotton/Lindsay

All can play midfield with Hotton and Langford, Smillie, Reid also forwards, Travaglia elite HBF, Lindsay wing.
Trade 9 to GWS for 15 and 16.
They have made it clear they want a top 10 pick and have their picks on the table.

I haven’t seen him live, just going off reports and since he has come into that top 10 area, that’s flagged more my interest of him lately to find out about him.

So hadn’t seen the brain farts.
For the record I do not see the footy IQ in him either but I do like his explosiveness

if he had as good a champs as he did the rest of the year he would be a lock for Pick 1. The only reason he is available to us is because of the less than expectations performance.

at 7 + 8 we aren't going to get the pick of the litter here, anyone that slides to us will have knocks on them but I think he would be best available and fit a need if he slides to 7.

Maybe we should just take 7 & 8 and go and actually get the guy we want at 2

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back