Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Without forcing or nudging out players on the list we will be stuck in no mans land. While other teams may be making 'bigger' moves, us going to the draft to pick up elite young talents who actually fit the bill of what we need on our list (Speed and Footskills) is just as likely to be equally or more effective for our prospects going forward.

Is Kennedy a better player than a brand new 18 year old kid? Almost certainly... But Kennedy is part of the reason our list is so imbalanced. We have a surplus of big lumbering inside mids and as a whole our list lacks run and speed across the ground. Whether we take a backwards step for 12 months or the first half of the year next season is irrelevant in my eyes, it's a necessary evil.

Just as StK need to bottom out to finally fix their lack of star talent, we need to move on some quality players to change the make up of our list so its better suited to contend in the future - whether that be next year or the years after.

I think you’re spot on here and i see our discussion previously as seperate to this, for whatever reason i think we are getting rid of players for less than what other clubs are getting for the players they move on.

I don’t understand what you think the compromise would be?
We don’t have the list spots?

Do you think Owies is bottom 4-6 currently on our list? If he is asking overs, then fair enough, otherwise look at other options

We bemoan the lack of depth, and or trading capital, yet allow players that clearly have some value to possibly walk away for free

Still needs to be within our strategy

I'd pay a late ish 1st and 2nd for say a Houston, but would walk away if it cost us more

Barrass wants to join the million dollar club, I think that would be negligent by us
It doesnt have to be these two, I’m surprised by our lack of movement across several areas, obviously still a lot to play out, i actually thought there would be more movements happening across the board.

It doesnt have to be these two, I’m surprised by our lack of movement across several areas, obviously still a lot to play out, i actually thought there would be more movements happening across the board.

It will be a busy trade period across the league, just waiting for some of the bigger deals to get done

Owies isn't attracting interest because he is a small that doesnt crumb, doesn't burst clear with speed on the rebound and isn't a huge pressure player.

He is a smart footballer who knows how to find space when disrespected by his opponent and he makes the most of his chances with good kicking, he would be far less effective in a side without 2 big key talls that can draw a crowd and he has very little room for improvement left in his game.

I love him but I can't see why anyone would give up more than a 3rd or 4th round pick for him

I reckon we have an eye on TDK with all of this “timidness” in the current trade period

TDK is, or about to be, our most important player when it comes to turning and impacting a game.

We have two absolute game turners- Crippa and TDK

If all of this boredom during trade period means we have the cap space to keep TDK then I’m all for it

Where have i said i have a problem with them being moved on, i have a problem with the club being so obvious that we dont want them anymore, thus diminishing their value.

Martin was picked up straight away, dont you think we could have pushed for a 4th round pick? Allowing us to package up ours in another deal maybe.

Stocker was a 1st round pick only a few years prior, players in that situation generally hold a small amount of value.

I get you dont really rate Owies or the above players, its not the point and its not why i and others are frustrated, its that other clubs can move fringe players and get some sort of return, yet we struggle.
If we can figure out why they're being moved on as armchair experts we should also expect full time professionals who are paid to analyse opposition teams and their own would have figured it out too.

Blind Freddy could see why we delisted Martin, same with Stocker, same with what we're doing to Owies. Other teams take advantage of that knowledge and can low ball us but really it's just part of the game.

I would have loved to get a bit for SPS and Dow... But it was just never going to happen with the situation we found ourselves in.

Can fall back to the old adage - You win some you lose some. The main thing is making sure we don't lose big (Such as losing TDK or Weiters) and having a better win% than you have losing%. Imo Austin and his team have had more success stories than failures and we've re-signed all our major stars, so I'll continue to back them in.

I reckon we have an eye on TDK with all of this “timidness” in the current trade period

He is not our most important player when it comes to turning and impacting a game.

We now have two absolute game turners- Crippa and TDK

If all of this boredom during trade period means we have the cap space to keep TDK then I’m all for it
Austin sounded pretty confident when he was asked on day 1 of the trade period. Wouldn’t surprise me if we get TDK done before round 1.

Austin said Weiters is about to get done then we are gonna focus on TDK

Owies isn't attracting interest because he is a small that doesnt crumb, doesn't burst clear with speed on the rebound and isn't a huge pressure player.

He is a smart footballer who knows how to find space when disrespected by his opponent and he makes the most of his chances with good kicking, he would be far less effective in a side without 2 big key talls that can draw a crowd and he has very little room for improvement left in his game.

I love him but I can't see why anyone would give up more than a 3rd or 4th round pick for him
Not worth anymore than a 3rd rounder, but it's still trading capital for clubs looking for points, where we could gain a better position or for us to use on the twins

Anyway, not going to really move the needle either way

Made it out that Port will have to give Collingwood one of their promising young talls as well as the contracted Houston to satisfy the pies!! Bizarre this cheerleading first for Daicos to win the Brownlow and now for the pies to get Houston
Yeah, heard it and thought WTF are you on about, Lewis. Absolute tripe.

Don’t need to hear from him too often, his rant over Kenny was also poor.

They tried to get help for weitering in leek aleer and failed, they tried to get speed forward of centre with hayward and failed. We dont need to waste another (2) 1st round picks on another hbf so I fully support going to the draft injecting some quality youth into those areas we lack and creating a bit of energy around the place.
So we try and fail? Does that make you feel confident?

Who ever said 2 x 1st round picks? Have you knowledge that we are getting another first round pick? who from? Whats the deal? Not sure it comes from GC, Tigers or GWS.

Right now we go with pick 12 to the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think Owies is bottom 4-6 currently on our list? If he is asking overs, then fair enough, otherwise look at other options

We bemoan the lack of depth, and or trading capital, yet allow players that clearly have some value to possibly walk away for free

Prior to this season, I thought he would be a delist.
I also more recently thought that he would have solid trade value (pick in the 30-45 range), based on his goals, and that he’s just had his best season. Also the media reports that other clubs were interested.

Yes, I think he’s bottom 4-6, accounting for tall depth requirements and projections of draftees.

I get that narrative is a problem. But it’s hard when the player that you want to trade really wants to stay. Maybe Austin could have been more coy in his interviews, but surely the clubs know what the real story is?

The problem is we have a list squeeze, in a year that the entire competition has a list squeeze, due to a hugely rated draft.

Where have i said i have a problem with them being moved on, i have a problem with the club being so obvious that we dont want them anymore, thus diminishing their value.

Martin was picked up straight away, dont you think we could have pushed for a 4th round pick? Allowing us to package up ours in another deal maybe.

Stocker was a 1st round pick only a few years prior, players in that situation generally hold a small amount of value.

I get you dont really rate Owies or the above players, its not the point and its not why i and others are frustrated, its that other clubs can move fringe players and get some sort of return, yet we struggle.
I get that it’s frustrating, and I was expecting more interest and decent offers for Owies and Kennedy.

But DFA has changed the market. And it’s going to change even more with the new DVI.

I’m wondering who the similar players are that other clubs have been able to extract value from?
And we can’t ignore how cheap we were able to get Blacres and Lij.

Not worth anymore than a 3rd rounder, but it's still trading capital for clubs looking for points, where we could gain a better position or for us to use on the twins

Anyway, not going to really move the needle either way
Also wonder in such a deep draft whether fringe players have even less value than in a shallower draft

Agreed. We were hoping teams would get carried away with his season, as the media have, but football people are smarter than this.

We have others who are important in our side who would command little on the open market. Cottrell, Fogarty, Durdin for example. All teams have these guys.

Another missed point in the Dan Houston talk is our up and coming half back options. Wilson, Cowan etc we all know... But anyone else still think about how good Elijah looked behind the ball the couple occasions he played there late in the season? I think he'd really thrive in that role if we had some alternative options up forward to take his place as that link in the chain.

Kicking is close to elite already and loves to bite off a corridor target, strong mark and his natural footy IQ allows him to read the play well.

I see him as a natural Nic Newman replacement if we can find some options up forward and his progression to the midfield doesn't eventuate.

So we try and fail? Does that make you feel confident?

Who ever said 2 x 1st round picks? Have you knowledge that we are getting another first round pick? who from? Whats the deal? Not sure it comes from GC, Tigers or GWS.

Right now we go with pick 12 to the draft.
I said 2 1st round picks in relation to Houston and port, they would have asked for 12 + F1.

I've no idea how close they got to convincing those guys to leave their clubs, or how many back up options they went through. All I can tell from it is they see the same weaknesses as I do and are trying to fix them.

Outside of that Who are the big name chb or hff that have been traded or about to be traded? Hawks gave battle and barrass more cash then they could poke a stick at, can't recall anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back