List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I got through about 45 seconds of listening to Purple & that halfwit Brad Johnson moan about Battle's compo (6 days on) yesterday arvo.

They must be intentionally stupid... no way anyone deriving an income for being an 'expert' could be so dense.
They both understand it, Barret actually said the other day he understood Franklin was 19 because it was the pick after the Hawks first.
They do it for 'controversy' and clicks and so Hi Lux and McDonalds gets full value for the advertising.

As for deserving, nothing in the compromised drafts are deserved, was the North free picks deserved? were the 7 or so Bulldogs FS and JUH at no.1 deserved? Was Ashcroft two years ago, and now the no.1 pick in this draft deserved for Brisbane? Were the dozens of NGA's for Northern clubs deserved?

lol

Essendon giving it a good shake from 2020: Nik Cox, Archie Perkins and Zac Reid
Other players taken in that first round: Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry, Max Holmes, Jake Bowey. Gulden taken at 32.

To be fair to the Bombers, 2020 is shaping up to be one of the all time shit drafts. Jamarra and Thilthorpe have shown glimpses but not cemented as all stars, Campbell is serviceable, but the rest of the top 10 are complete duds.

I honestly don’t know.

I never really thought any of this was a possibility (4 first rounders)

What would it look like assuming it’s Travaglia that the giants want?

7.Smillie
9. Langford/Armstrong
15. Reid
16. Trainor
2 slow mids, a forward we don't need, a complete spud and a concussion case.
Well done.

2 slow mids, a forward we don't need, a complete spud and a concussion case.
Well done.
Agree Langford shouldn't be a target, but Smillie is the big bodied extractor we've needed for 10 years, and Reid is the elite ball user that we don't currently have in midfield.

We should only take Armstrong if we take 7, 8 and 9 to the draft. It would be bad from a list balance perspective if we were to draft three mids in the same draft and try to give them all games over Steele, Pou, Windy, Wilson, even Macrae etc.

Trainor is 100% a no unless he's available in the third round

Damien Barrett's sliding doors out today....is he the biggest sook in footy journalism?
I'd like to begin an alternative sliding doors, feel free to join me:

IF Damien Barrett hadn't been breastfed until he was 6
THEN he might not squeal like a nine year old girl at trade time when men are doing business.

And if someone with computer skills could just insert an image of that Game of Thrones kid being breastfed....it would make my day.

View attachment 2137763

Go for it little Damo!!

Matthew Lloyd: So are you just an AFL house advocate operating as a media mouth piece when they want a narrative run?

Damien Barrett: I-it.. it LOOKS that way Llordo. But obviously there’s still a bit to play out in this space.

8B63A102-EC21-4A0D-B1BD-CEDEFB1F5ED7.jpeg

Just a thought: Since Gold Coast and, to a lesser extent, other northern clubs value their first-round picks differently due to their academies—and often don’t rely on them as much—what if they were given a 10-pick discount on their first-round selections? This could help prevent situations where other clubs extract excessive value, like Fremantle trading pick 2 for Weller, or Geelong and Richmond giving up picks 7 and 6 respectively.

If Gold Coast had pick 16 and traded that to Richmond this year, then that would still be a fair value price and not completely disrupt the rest of the top 10.

I'm not as into it, nor do I have the knowledge of many here.... but....

I don't want to split picks

I don't want to risk getting players who have a concussion history.

I don't care if we don't "win" every trade

I just want us to have a plan, and execute.

It we slightly overpay for Macrae, I really don't care. Winning a pissing contest with the bulldogs over who won a trade is the sort of infantile drivel I'd rather leave to the dodoros of the world.

I don't want to get bent over, but our focus needs to be the big picture, not getting stuck on bullshit.

If we were to somehow snag pick 9 (I doubt it will happen) to go with 7 and 8, let's draft the best 3 players we can with those picks, with at least 2 of them being mids.

If we don't get 9, get the best 2 mids we can with 7 and 8 and then hopefully we can score another good player with our pick in the 20s.

Other players taken in that first round: Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry, Max Holmes, Jake Bowey. Gulden taken at 32.

To be fair to the Bombers, 2020 is shaping up to be one of the all time shit drafts. Jamarra and Thilthorpe have shown glimpses but not cemented as all stars, Campbell is serviceable, but the rest of the top 10 are complete duds.
The covid draft. It was always going to be a risk and likely a bust draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer's been All-Australian once and in the squad one other time. His highest coaches votes in a year is 45, with a year of 43 just behind. That makes him comfortably A grade when at his best.

Members has never been close to AA and has never got more than 28 coaches votes. Over his career 0.64 coaches votes per game compared to Stringer averaging 1.0. Relatively fine margins because clearly neither are superstars but imo Stringer has been comfortably better.

Agree that now they're both 30 (pretty much exactly the same age) they don't have super strong selling points for any other club.
Im not going to deep dive this as its ultimately just a casual discussion but I would question how many of those coaches votes are during those "trying for a contract" years where he actually gave a shit. AA is kind of a bad metric as well. Membreys 2016 season is nearly as good as Stringers 2015 AA yet no nomination even for squad. Kind of my point really, its often just a popularity contest when talking about opposition players.

Anyway I just think youre underselling Membrey who has been a consistently very good player and also an excellent clubman with a positive influence on other players.

That's a fair bit to give up for 9. We sure about that deal?
Our F1 will genuinely go back about 10 picks, that's how compromised next year's draft is, so its not the worst trade. Not sure if I'd include Membrey, I'd much prefer him to stay on a one year deal than to be running around for Essendon.

Personally I don't love F1 + 27 for 9, but it's about the mark of what the Dons will get offered. Melbourne are so keen to get back into this year's draft I could see them offering F1 + 28. As I've previously said, the Dogs, Geelong, Hawthorn, GWS could all offer similar deals.

That being said, a bid at #5 by the Dees seems too high, and they don't have the safety net of a second first round pick like we do in case Essendon don't match. That may dissuade them from bidding on Kako, and therefore they may lose a bit of leverage. From our perspective we have 7 and 8 to use, so our threat of bidding on Kako at 7 is much more realistic, and if we agree to not bid on Kako as part of the trade for pick 9, that gives Essendon a big points boost for when the bid does come later in the first round.

Agree Langford shouldn't be a target, but Smillie is the big bodied extractor we've needed for 10 years, and Reid is the elite ball user that we don't currently have in midfield.

We should only take Armstrong if we take 7, 8 and 9 to the draft. It would be bad from a list balance perspective if we were to draft three mids in the same draft and try to give them all games over Steele, Pou, Windy, Wilson, even Macrae etc.

Trainor is 100% a no unless he's available in the third round
Smillie looks a far better kick than Langford and can break from stoppage.

I believe the club missed a marketing opportunity with their 'flat bat' approach. What is lost by giving the media a little to keep the listeners or supporters interested/excited. Misson sounded like a mortician. He implied that the club hadnt spoken to the Bulldogs or Power re the respective trades which everyone knows is rubbish. The clubs have met on numerous occasions prior to the official trade period commencing. Being misleading is ridiculous and Im sure our media manager and marketing teams would much prefer a different response.

Surely we can respond with something like we are pleased Jackson Macrae and Ivan Soldo have nominated our club for trades. We understand they are contracted players and are keen to work with their respective clubs to get fair deals done. With regards to the draft he could have said something like we are or are not interested in moving from our current draft positions and see the draft as very good and will be hoping to find ways to work into other picks in the draft.

Just show that they are not robots and are excited by the opportunities the draft week brings with opportunities to improve our list! Every media opportunity our club managers have should be used to sell the club as an exhilarating place to be!
I get your point but I don't share it in this aspect. I took that interview as they know the path they are on. Soldo and Macrae will help but we are not desperate to get them in and give up our draft hand. It feels like smoke and mirrors, some good old fashion mind games.

In my opinion how that interview was handled wasn't any different from the way the team plays on game day. What i mean by that is the boys don't show a lot of emotion during the game. They seem very focused on the task and process. I watched the Storm prelim, which was my first time watching storm play. I saw similarities in the way they approached the game compared to us.

Now that is where my mind begins to wander and why I get your point. Hawthrone are the complete opposite of us. Which approach will help in the big dance is a good question. Hawks are the most interesting team to me. Because their approach and the way they celebrate is unlike anything we have ever seen. It is it the new way to play football? I am not sure but if it was anyone other than Sam Mitchell leading it. I wouldn't be as concerned.

Our F1 will genuinely go back about 10 picks, that's how compromised next year's draft is, so its not the worst trade. Not sure if I'd include Membrey, I'd much prefer him to stay on a one year deal than to be running around for Essendon.

Personally I don't love F1 + 27 for 9, but it's about the mark of what the Dons will get offered. Melbourne are so keen to get back into this year's draft I could see them offering F1 + 28. As I've previously said, the Dogs, Geelong, Hawthorn, GWS could all offer similar deals.

That being said, a bid at #5 by the Dees seems too high, and they don't have the safety net of a second first round pick like we do in case Essendon don't match. That may dissuade them from bidding on Kako, and therefore they may lose a bit of leverage. From our perspective we have 7 and 8 to use, so our threat of bidding on Kako at 7 is much more realistic, and if we agree to not bid on Kako as part of the trade for pick 9, that gives Essendon a big points boost for when the bid does come later in the first round.
There's every chance our first pick could be top 5.

You can't say with any certainty that there will be 10 academy picks taken before then. It would be completely unprecedented by magnitudes.

Nobody has any idea what next year's first round will look like. As far as in aware, none of the underagers made the AA team like Reid did. When they were top agers in the under 16s they dominated the AA team, but if you go back through prior under 16's AA teams you'll see only about a third of them typically go on to be first round picks.

There's every chance our first pick could be top 5.

You can't say with any certainty that there will be 10 academy picks taken before then. It would be completely unprecedented by magnitudes.

Nobody has any idea what next year's first round will look like. As far as in aware, none of the underagers made the AA team like Reid did. When they were top agers in the under 16s they dominated the AA team, but if you go back through prior under 16's AA teams you'll see only about a third of them typically go on to be first round picks.
I'm less pessimistic on our chances next year, but the point is that from a negotiating standpoint, this year's draft is much better than next. Hence why clubs will probably be offering a second round pick on top of a F1 to get pick 9 from Essendon this year.

In a Herald Sun article today they said a lot of clubs are trying to trade out of next years draft to this year. They said that pick #15 in 2025 is equivalent in standard to a pick #25 this year. If we make the top 8 next year where does that leave the value of our F1st?

I agree with others the Trade Period goes far too long 5 days (Monday to Friday) is plenty. Make the change AFL everyone is screaming for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back