2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Smillie ... I posted a month or so back that a person I know who has close links with the Coates League told me that he has a bit of a FIGJAM rep and there were a few ?? around his work rate.

He is a bit of a classic man child in that his bigger body has meant he could easily impose himself on some of these smaller kids at a Coates League level but then he struggled to do the same against more quality line ups in the Champs ... all of a sudden there were a lot more others that were just prepared to work harder for longer at that higher level of football .... or maybe he was .. under weather?

As we know the mental side of the game is paramount for any kid to make it in the big league .... you might be better skilled and bigger bodied but if you aren't prepared to work hard enough for long enough or just don't have the mental fortitude to fight on and keep up then .... you are going to get left behind pretty quickly

I don't know Smillie and I haven't seen enough of him live but there seems to be some ??s around his mental attitude ..... is he a classic case of a big fish in a small pond at youth levels?

Because he is about get thrown into a lot larger pond with a lot larger fish ...and if you don't have the hunger, the attitude and the ability to really really crack in .... you are gunna get devoured

Is it true that RTB interviewed him personally?

Very interesting if so .... maybe he DE-FIGJAMMED him :oops:
Really like this post. It shows that he has a lot to work on mentally. This is where a good AFL program comes to the fore. You hear 'experts' all the time saying player X has been in the AFL system or environment for X number of years and is really maturing and knowing his own game etc.

I would imagine there would be quite a few FIGJAM's coming out of the top ten. They get a nasty wake up call first preseason. We are friends with Jack Newnes family and his mother told us his first preseason absolutely exhausted him and all he could do was come home and sleep.

Smillie has been able to cruise a bit because of his size in the u18's. That would be natural, it is a real challenge though once they come up against a hard bodied AFL man. Our last FIGJAM, Pou, was absolutely torched in the final against GWS by Tom Green. I would watch Green lean on Pou at the centre bounce and a slight push and he had three metres on him. Was a great lesson for Pou who ten had to swallow his ego, go back to the VFL for an extended period and come back looking like the player we wanted in the AFL.

Smillie was mouthing all the right words on TR yesterday, wants to work on his game, be more team oriented etc. It is up to our recruiters to take his physical and mental attributes into account and decide if they can work with this raw material.

Arie's a moron, heard info recently I wont mention, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it purely from off field stuff, also he's slow and doesn't defend. Sorry to put a dampener on the arie train but im tempering expectations. I guess both their issues are above their shoulders
Arie will be on the plans to head down to tassi and we will receive some sort of compensation from the afl just need to give him games to build his profile to maximise our compo

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apologies if this has already been posted: Herald Sun mock has Cole listed at pick 42.

From his stats I assume his ceiling is a lock down full back

View attachment 2137773
I didn't realise his father was Nigerian, if his nickname isn't the Prince then we clearly aren't trying hard enough.

Funnily enough, I knew a Nigerian lady who had royal blood and apparently it's very common. Many Nigerians can trace their history back to royalty... who would've thought hey

I didn't realise his father was Nigerian, if his nickname isn't the Prince then we clearly aren't trying hard enough.

Funnily enough, I knew a Nigerian lady who had royal blood and apparently it's very common. Many Nigerians can trace their history back to royalty... who would've thought hey
Not surprising at all, going by my junk mail folder.

Any Australian with Irish heritage can trace their lineage back to the early Irish kings, if looking hard enough.
I can trace mine back to an Irish king and on my English side back to the master of Horse for William the Conqueror. Doesn't stop me from being a fat bald Aussie bogan sitting in front of a computer crapping on about football day after day ;)

Any Australian with Irish heritage can trace their lineage back to the early Irish kings, if looking hard enough.
I can trace mine back to an Irish king and on my English side back to the master of Horse for William the Conqueror. Doesn't stop me from being a fat bald Aussie bogan sitting in front of a computer crapping on about football day after day

Off topic I know, but how on earth did you manage to trace your history so far back? I can barely go back further then 2 generations in my family!

The academy picks this year are shaping up nicely. Interesting that many rate our two around the Camporeale boys level. This should end up a very good draft for us.
I have no idea why Ben isn't considered a higher pick than he is. To think Elwood and Ben are on the same level is crazy if I'm to take off my St Kilda hat.

Off topic I know, but how on earth did you manage to trace your history so far back? I can barely go back further then 2 generations in my family!
Worked with my brother using Ancestory. However doesn't matter how much care you take and one false move and you are way off track.
We are related to the aristocracy who still live in a castle in Herefordshire but my ancestor was a woman married to a commoner in the 16th century (probably a second daughter who shagged the gamewarden or smeone just as lowly) so we are just plebs.
Irish side, could only trace back to 1795 when an ancestor migrated to Surrey but our surname can be traced to an Irish King.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked with my brother using Ancestory. However doesn't matter how much care you take and one false move and you are way off track.
We are related to the aristocracy who still live in a castle in Herefordshire but my ancestor was a woman married to a commoner in the 16th century (probably a second daughter who shagged the gamewarden or smeone just as lowly) so we are just plebs.
Irish side, could only trace back to 1795 when an ancestor migrated to Surrey but our surname can be traced to an Irish King.
This is the most interesting thing I ever read all trade week! But seriously, I love this shit, fascinates the hell out of me. Been watching Outlander and loving it.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back