Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

“Clayton's parents were wonderful, good country people from Echuca, Victoria.”

View attachment 2138041
Mooroopna is six minutes from Shepparton

Murray Bushrangers are in Wangarratta.

Can’t dispute his Mum ☺️
Well she just said his home town isn't Shepparton, and Echuca is like an hour away so can't fault her.

Main takeaway was she said he wasn't in Shepparton. Maybe he's in Echuca? Maybe he's having coffee on Lygon st as we speak.

Reviews after 2 seasons at Geelong.

Bartel - 13 games for the year. 12 touches. Looks slow. No standout traits except maybe his marking.

Corey - 14 games for the year. 10 touches. Slow. Lacking skills. Looks a bust.

Enright - 17 games after 0 in his first year. 12 touches. Slow. Skills ok but nothing outstanding.

I'm not in any way saying he's going to be as good as these guys but Clark showed at least as much as these 3 in his second year.

They were all smart, natural footballers who worked their arses off to improve. Clark at least has some of those same traits.

Brad Green: rubbish player, rubbish CEO.

Could Melbourne finally be playing some 4D chess here?

As in… they absolutely all want Oliver gone but understand that they hold no leverage and would’ve been walked all over in a trade.

So after Mackie offers peanuts for him… like you pay a bunch of his contract and we’ll give you pick 50 peanuts, they formulated a plan to get us offering more.

Melbourne know by now that we are keen on Oliver and want him… so they come out and announce they aren’t trading him.

Geelong start to offer more and Melbourne end potentially end up with a deal they aren’t embarrassed taking (but they wanted him gone no matter what).

Plenty of us weren’t keen one bit on giving up our F1 for Oliver when we thought the Dees wanted him out.

All of a sudden after they say we ain’t trading him lots here have changed our tunes and are happy to give up that F1 as long as the Dees bite off some of his contract.

I’ll give the Dees some credit if that is there plan.

I’ll continue to call them monkeys if they 100% meant they weren’t trading him when they said it… but still trade him lol.

Getting your stand in President (Green) involved in trade mind games would be a decent effort… but I tend to think they are still monkeys and the left arm doesn’t know what the right arm is doing.
A circus troop of monkeys
🤡 🙈 🙉 🙊 🤡

Perhaps increase the offer to 500kg of peanuts 🥜 🥜 🥜

1728616397247.png

Ive got a feelong that for the next few days - spotting Clayton Oliver in locations and/or actions and/or with certain people that point to his trade to Geelong is going to become like Elvis sightings

Well she just said his home town isn't Shepparton, and Echuca is like an hour away so can't fault her.

Main takeaway was she said he wasn't in Shepparton. Maybe he's in Echuca? Maybe he's having coffee on Lygon st as we speak.
Oliver is definitely here

🤭 🤭 🤭

IMG_0838.jpeg

You do know that for years and years you've been the worst at pretending to know someone.

Shaneo is correct. No one knows everything here.
How can anyone believe that someone on a forum is across 5 trades.

Tell us who we are drafting.

Catsriot used to send Wells his draft picks. And apparently wells responded. lol
Wow

(1) Where did I post that "I knew everyone"
(2) Where have I ever posted about "knowing who we are drafting"
(3) Where have I made out that "I know everything"

Cheap shot post - seriously. If I hear something I post it - isn't that the general concept behind a forum titled "trading drafting rumour and wish lists". Sounds like someone needs to grow up and not treat everything posted in here as having come from Steve Hocking or Andrew Mackie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartel - 13 games for the year. 12 touches. Looks slow. No standout traits except maybe his marking.

Enright - 17 games after 0 in his first year. 12 touches. Slow. Skills ok but nothing outstanding.

I'm not in any way saying he's going to be as good as these guys but Clark showed at least as much as these 3 in his second year.

They were all smart, natural footballers who worked their arses off to improve. Clark at least has some of those same traits.

Is there a player you couldn't use this argument to justify?

It seems this years picks are even more valuable because 2025 picks are on the nose a bit cause the best talent is linked to academies..

If I were Melb I think id push for a player …

WHY 2025 PICKS ARE ON THE TRADE TABLE

Clubs are desperate to load up on what has been described as an “outstanding” national draft this year, with many openly placing their first-round picks for 2025 on the trade table this week.

The Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Melbourne and North Melbourne are among a group of clubs who are fishing for extra selections this year and are willing to give up their first pick next year to secure them.

“Our future pick’s definitely going to be on the table throughout this trade period, whether it be for a player or to improve our draft hand for this year,” North Melbourne list boss Brady Rawlings said earlier this week.

While the Kangaroos, Demons and Blues all currently hold first-round picks to use this November — and simply want more — the Bulldogs’ first selection sits at 35 after they traded their 2024 first-round pick to Gold Coast to secure midfielder Ryley Sanders in last year’s draft.

Gold Coast Suns Academy member Zeke Uwland is a top draft prospect for 2025. Picture: Getty Images

Gold Coast Suns Academy member Zeke Uwland is a top draft prospect for 2025. Picture: Getty Images
While this year’s draft does have some depth, pick 35 could become closer to pick 40 after early father-son and Academy bids are matched.

Most clubs are far less excited about the 2025 draft, which is stacked with talent linked to the northern academies.

“People are nervous about next year,” one recruiter said recently.

“There’s not a lot of people who like next year’s draft — even if you got pick 15. Pick 15 to pick 25 in this draft is much better.”

Gold Coast Suns Academy members Beau Addinsall and Zeke Uwland were the two best players for Team Sloane in the under-17 Futures game on AFL Grand Final Day last month, while Brisbane Lions Academy member Daniel Annable was among the best few players for Team Heppell and is highly-rated.

Sydney Swans Academy member Lachlan Carmichael is another leading prospect for next year, while the Swans will also have access to Noah Chamberlain.

Add in the fact Clark missed his whole fist season due to injury and this year was basically year 1 for him.

People need to give him time if in the next 2 years he shows no improvement sure go ham.
Not every player develops the same way.

It seems this years picks are even more valuable because 2025 picks are on the nose a bit cause the best talent is linked to academies..

Clubs are desperate to load up on what has been described as an “outstanding” national draft this year, with many openly placing their first-round picks for 2025 on the trade table this week.

The Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Melbourne and North Melbourne are among a group of clubs who are fishing for extra selections this year and are willing to give up their first pick next year to secure them.

“Our future pick’s definitely going to be on the table throughout this trade period, whether it be for a player or to improve our draft hand for this year,” North Melbourne list boss Brady Rawlings said earlier this week.

While the Kangaroos, Demons and Blues all currently hold first-round picks to use this November — and simply want more — the Bulldogs’ first selection sits at 35 after they traded their 2024 first-round pick to Gold Coast to secure midfielder Ryley Sanders in last year’s draft.

While this year’s draft does have some depth, pick 35 could become closer to pick 40 after early father-son and Academy bids are matched.

Most clubs are far less excited about the 2025 draft, which is stacked with talent linked to the northern academies.

“There’s not a lot of people who like next year’s draft — even if you got pick 15. Pick 15 to pick 25 in this draft is much better.”

Gold Coast Suns Academy members Beau Addinsall and Zeke Uwland were the two best players for Team Sloane in the under-17 Futures game on AFL Grand Final Day last month, while Brisbane Lions Academy member Daniel Annable was among the best few players for Team Heppell and is highly-rated.

Sydney Swans Academy member Lachlan Carmichael is another leading prospect for next year, while the Swans will also have access to Noah Chamberlain.
File under "they don't always say the draft is better next year" for future reference

Now do Constable, Horlin-Smith and Smedts.

This just shows that most 2nd year players aren't A graders. It tells us nothing about whether a 2nd year player will become an A grader.

Once we get thru the grubby stuff of trades…. and we can look at giving kids a chance ...

it will be interesting to see where this kid goes ...

Tries to play like Cameron …. good role model I guess..

EXTRA WORK PAYS OFF FOR BIG MAN

Mobile Victorian key forward Gabriel Stumpf turned heads at the national draft combine last weekend with his blistering time in the 20m sprint test.

But it perhaps shouldn’t have come as a surprise that the 196cm big man posted the fifth-best 20m sprint time in the combine’s history.

Stumpf ran a time of 2.815 seconds last Sunday, but has been working with a personal fitness and nutrition coach for the past 12 months, with whom he has done a significant amount of speed work.

Running is key for the Northern Knights product, who works hard pushing up the ground from half-forward and models his game on Geelong’s Jeremy Cameron.

“Stumpy’s incredibly athletic,” Knights talent manager Nat Grindal said.

“He’s had a really good year. I think his ceiling is still so high as well. He’s got so much growth and improvement in him. You hope that someone’s willing to take a chance on a kid that’s got a lot of upside.”

Stumpf averaged 2.8 goals a game across four matches for the Knights this year.

Northern Knights forward Gabriel Stumpf has been working with his own personal fitness and nutrition coach. Picture: Getty Images

If I were Melb I think id push for a player …

I like this kind of draft, clubs get tunnel vision over a small number of prospects

Once we get thru the grubby stuff of trades…. and we can look at giving kids a chance ...

it will be interesting to see where this kid goes ...

Tries to play like Cameron …. good role model I guess..

EXTRA WORK PAYS OFF FOR BIG MAN

Mobile Victorian key forward Gabriel Stumpf turned heads at the national draft combine last weekend with his blistering time in the 20m sprint test.

But it perhaps shouldn’t have come as a surprise that the 196cm big man posted the fifth-best 20m sprint time in the combine’s history.

Stumpf ran a time of 2.815 seconds last Sunday, but has been working with a personal fitness and nutrition coach for the past 12 months, with whom he has done a significant amount of speed work.

Running is key for the Northern Knights product, who works hard pushing up the ground from half-forward and models his game on Geelong’s Jeremy Cameron.

“Stumpy’s incredibly athletic,” Knights talent manager Nat Grindal said.

“He’s had a really good year. I think his ceiling is still so high as well. He’s got so much growth and improvement in him. You hope that someone’s willing to take a chance on a kid that’s got a lot of upside.”

Stumpf averaged 2.8 goals a game across four matches for the Knights this year.

Northern Knights forward Gabriel Stumpf has been working with his own personal fitness and nutrition coach. Picture: Getty Images

Sounds like a Mitch Brown style bolter

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back