Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Everyone is applauding. I don’t get it at all. They just moved out 4 of the best 5 players on their list out. There is f all talent left, outside of Taranto, Hopper, Lynch and Balta. The majority of their picks are in that danger zone, where if draft evals don’t plan out, youre left with a whole crop of Billie smedts type players. History has proven time and time again, you can’t blow a list up and expect a group of 1st or 2nd yr players to shoulder the load. It will be 4-5 years before they are competitive, and that’s if they nail picks, and not screw their development by expecting too much too soon.
I think it's more that those rats were always fleeing the sinking ship. If you consider those a sunk cost then they've had a win on that, still sinking, ship.

The titanic may be going down but the band is playing

The threshold for albatross level contract has gone up a lot too. Cap is 17m+ compared to 13m when we last signed a million dollar player and Smith likely isn't getting that.
I am all for signing a million dollar player, as long as the player is worth it. Bailey isn’t worth it, so I hope we aren’t paying him that or giving him one of the crazy long deals that seem to be all the rage at the moment.

I keep hearing about the increase in salary cap, which is great and all, but the smart teams will spend it well. Just because you have the extra cap doesn’t imply that you need to overpay a dubious new acquisition.

I hope we are a smart team.

Cheers for the share mate, great vision!

Few thoughts:

Video is only 10 minutes, it repeats halfway through with some weird music, haha.
I don't know what the f*ck Dogs supporters are talking about. Yeah he can butcher it sometimes, but there was some absolutely elite kicking in that highlights package.
He can kick it 50+ with ease, and his burst running is much more consistent/faster than I thought
He handles big moments well, and wants them
Different player, but definitely has elements of Danger - and will be a friggin' formidable pairing with Holmes next year
Lets calm down with the danger comparison.

Danger is in a completely different league to Bailey Smith.

I am all for signing a million dollar player, as long as the player is worth it. Bailey isn’t worth it, so I hope we aren’t paying him that or giving him one of the crazy long deals that seem to be all the rage at the moment.

I keep hearing about the increase in salary cap, which is great and all, but the smart teams will spend it well. Just because you have the extra cap doesn’t imply that you need to overpay a dubious new acquisition.

I hope we are a smart team.

Not sure why you think Bailey Smith could possibly being paid big-overs, where not that club. The club fully understands the importance of the salary cap and keeping players contracts within reason. Every main player at club is playing for unders compared to the open market. Even with Holmes new contract, it was was probably at a minimum 200k+ less per year than what he would have got on the open market, that's the Geelong/Joel Selwood way and the 'only way' to be continually 'finals competitive' as a AFL football club and GO CATS !!!

So if we gave Smith a 7 year deal at $1m+ per annum you still like the trade?

Salary cap flexibility is more valuable than draft picks. Just ask Melbourne.

Yes, because the trade value of an out of contract but not yet free agent player, is a separate to the contract that the player then agrees to when signing with Geelong

Hypothetically, IF Smith agreed to join Geelong on a deal of $400k per season for 3 years, it's not like the Bulldogs are going to turn around and say they'll accept a third round pick for him in trade discussions because he's signing on for less than the average wage - Smith would still be worth a first round pick but there'd be a shit load of questions about what under the table deals we've got going on

Whether Smith signs a contract for $700k for 5 seasons, $800k for 4 seasons or $1million for 4 seasons doesn't change the basic idea that we didn't over pay at the trade table to bring him in

As another hypothetical, IF Smith was a free agent and the club went against their pay structure to offer him an inflated contract in the hope of it not being matched which would force a trade, that's when his salary would be more relevant to discussion on the acquiring Smith

Now for something fun, now that the Smith deal is done!

From the whispers I can gather, this is how I reckon it shapes up post draft/trade/ssp/, as an absolute hail mary guess:

OUT:

Tuohy
Hawkins
Rohan
Parfitt
Murdoch
Foster
Jeka
Hardie
Willis

IN:

B. Smith
J. Martin
C. Bourke (Cat B Irish Rookie)
Jack Whitlock KPF - Future 1st swapped with Richmond for Pick 18 -
Lachie Jacques HBF - Pick 40 (In from 45 after bids, and a Falcons kid)
Lachlan Blakiston Mature Age Ruck - Pick 53 (In from 57 after bids)
Well special - Pick 75 (Into around 60ish after passes/more bid matches)
DFA/SSP (Curtis Taylor possible?)
Rookie spot remaining for MSD

Besides the first 2, and maybe Bourke and Blakiston, absolute shot in the dark and won't even get close - but fun to guess!

BUT WE HAVE SMITH! Huzzah!
I can already see it…

Mack truck “ hey Richmond, we will give you our Frnd1 for your pick 18”

Richmond” WE AINT FALLING FOR THAT AGAIN! f OFF!!”

Richmond extends for a further 5 minutes and goes into a frenzied mode trying to hack the geelong pc system to see who wells and mackie had lined up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back