Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond fans on here have been absolutely drinking their own bathwater after being kissed on the d*** by Freo, GC and WCE in the trade period.

The key difference is that draft picks don't elect a club and force a trade with a particular team.

While 6 + 10/11/18 looks like the most appropriate trade, there is no restriction on us figuring something out with the Saints or Dee's.

The Saints in particular would probably be keen to get either FOS or Lalor as a point of difference in their midfield. 7 + F1 (+ 32 or F2) for 2 is definitely a possibility if the Tigers decide to be stubborn.

Still gets us Tauru or Armstrong, and banks more capital for next year.
also more than happy to just bring in FOS/Lalor ourselves

this is why we are in a win win situation

we either get one of them or get 6 and 10/11

I'm not keen on trading 2 unless we get value for it. Despite backing ourselves into a corner by trading pick 25, it isn't a reason to accept unders for 2 IMO.

There should really be only three options:

Trade Pick 2 for 6 & one of the 10/11 picks.

Trade F1 for 6 or one of the 10/11 picks.

Take the best player on the board at Pick 2.

Unfortunately we aren't a club that thrives when backed into a corner, so my expectations are low.
So are you saying you’d prefer Sullivan or Lalor at pick 2 then a combination of Tauru and Whitlock/Shanahan/Faull at 18? I’d hope we do the latter given where we are at with our developing kp prospects

I think it would be criminal to walk away from this draft with only 2 kids.

This list needs high turnover until it gets better.

I’d be looking at 4 players. So bob work some magic and dig yourself out of the hole you created by only having pick 2 and junk change.

Probably why I'd take 6,18,20 for 2 and a F3.

We need more talent coming through the door. It's as simple as that for mine.

Tauru's second half against the Stringrays in the CTL finals has turned everyone's head and mainly ours by the looks of it.

At that point people probably thought of him as a 10-14 prospect given how aggressive and strong of an interceptor he'd developed into across the year.

He looked like an alpha, mobile, aggressive, modern KPF/CHF in that game and turned the tide in that game when moved up forward however. Dominant in the air, involved at ground level, setting the tone for forward pressure, his endurance numbers are excellent and he was getting up and down the ground even intercepting the ball as part of the forward half zone.

The fact he's grown an inch since preseason, his vertical numbers, long arms and game style you can see why he's bolted.

Everyone laments not having an additional pick for Caddy last year, but there were question marks with Nate. He played like a flanker at time, he liked the ball on ground level, whilst good overhead with long arms, he wasn't quite KPP size and how that might translate on a genuine #1 200cm AFL KPD. He was hot and cold throughout the season.

I don't have any of those same reservations with Tauru. He's taller, he's more aggressive in the air than Caddy, he's right at the pointy end of young talls and attacking the footy in the air and competitiveness (Im talking Jono Brown, Riewoldt etc) he's just as mobile and quick. He's got a big tank for a tall. With his vertical and the strength of his hands, he's going to be a handful for any defender at AFL level, also a genuine swingman whether forward or back.

Clubs would see the potential of Charlie Curnow 2.0 and I think I agree with them after that game. You can just imagine him with 10kg's. The fact he's looked like James Sicily for most of the year in defence, only further strengthens his prospects.

His sample size as a forward is admittedly very small, but I think some clubs would view that as a positive. He's come from the clouds this season, had he played more forward, he might not even be an option, even as high as #6.

Sometimes you only need to see flashes of a player, they were there in spades in that final. So much so I'd rate him ahead of Cadman in his draft year comparatively now.

IF of this is not to say we should just accept anything for #2 though.
Imagine pairing him up with Chom at opposite ends of the ground for the next decade and flipping their positions at will.

Two big and agile crazy-brave mofos attacking everything they can.

It'd be a sight to behold.

Tauru's second half against the Stringrays in the CTL finals has turned everyone's head and mainly ours by the looks of it.

At that point people probably thought of him as a 10-14 prospect given how aggressive and strong of an interceptor he'd developed into across the year.

He looked like an alpha, mobile, aggressive, modern KPF/CHF in that game and turned the tide in that game when moved up forward however. Dominant in the air, involved at ground level, setting the tone for forward pressure, his endurance numbers are excellent and he was getting up and down the ground even intercepting the ball as part of the forward half zone.

The fact he's grown an inch since preseason, his vertical numbers, long arms and game style you can see why he's bolted.

Everyone laments not having an additional pick for Caddy last year, but there were question marks with Nate. He played like a flanker at time, he liked the ball on ground level, whilst good overhead with long arms, he wasn't quite KPP size and how that might translate on a genuine #1 200cm AFL KPD. He was hot and cold throughout the season.

I don't have any of those same reservations with Tauru. He's taller, he's more aggressive in the air than Caddy, he's right at the pointy end of young talls and attacking the footy in the air and competitiveness (Im talking Jono Brown, Riewoldt etc) he's just as mobile and quick. He's got a big tank for a tall. With his vertical and the strength of his hands, he's going to be a handful for any defender at AFL level, also a genuine swingman whether forward or back.

Clubs would see the potential of Charlie Curnow 2.0 and I think I agree with them after that game. You can just imagine him with 10kg's. The fact he's looked like James Sicily for most of the year in defence, only further strengthens his prospects.

His sample size as a forward is admittedly very small, but I think some clubs would view that as a positive. He's come from the clouds this season, had he played more forward, he might not even be an option, even as high as #6.

Sometimes you only need to see flashes of a player, they were there in spades in that final. So much so I'd rate him ahead of Cadman in his draft year comparatively now.

IF of this is not to say we should just accept anything for #2 though.
I don't have any of those same reservations with Tauru. He's taller, he's more aggressive in the air than Caddy, he's just as mobile and quick. He's got a big tank for a tall. With his vertical and the strength of his hands, he's going to be a handful for anyone whether forward or back.

Set shot?

Many of you want to split pick two. In an even draft I can see why. However, for your consideration, in the last seven drafts, this is what we'd have if we split 2 for 6 & 20, for example, which is roughly the same amount of points:

YearPick 2Pick 6Pick 20ish (after f/s, academy picks)VERDICT
2023Colby McKercherCaleb Windsor26: Will GrahamPick 2
2022Harry SheezelCameron McKenzie24: Charlie ClarkePick 2
2021Finn CallaghanJye Amiss22: Josh GoaterPick 6 & 20
2020Will PhillipsNik Cox24: Blake ColemanEither
2019Noah AndersonFischer McAsey22: Deven RobertsonPick 2
2018Jack LukosiusBen King23: Jez McLennanEither
2017Andrew BrayshawJaidyn Stephenson20: Callum Coleman-JonesPick 2

Yes, I know, Sheezel was pick 3, but that was after Ashcroft as a f/s, so he was effectively pick 2. Same for Phillips in 2020 after JUH went #1.

Look at the 2017 draft. We literally HAVE pick 6 and pick 20 from that draft. I think we'd rather have Brayshaw. Only once has splitting pick 2 been the better option. Four times it's been better to have pick 2.

VERDICT: Keep pick 2.

Last edited:
Many of you want to split pick two. In an even draft I can see why. However, for your consideration, in the last seven drafts, this is what we'd have if we split 2 for 6 & 20, for example, which is roughly the same amount of points:

YearPick 2Pick 6Pick 20ish (after f/s, academy picks)VERDICT
2023Colby McKercherCaleb Windsor26: Will GrahamPick 2
2022Harry SheezelCameron McKenzie24: Charlie ClarkePick 2
2021Finn CallaghanJye Amiss22: Josh GoaterPick 6 & 20
2020Will PhillipsNik Cox24: Black ColemanEither
2019Noah AndersonFischer McAsey22: Deven RobertsonPick 2
2018Jack LukosiusBen King23: Jez McLennanEither
2017Andrew BrayshwJaidyn Stephenson20: Callum Coleman-JonesPick 2

Look at the 2017 draft. We literally HAVE the pick 6 and pick 20 from that draft. I think we'd rather have Brayshaw. Only once has splitting pick 2 been the better option. Four times it's been better to have pick 2.

VERDICT: Keep pick 2.

Here's the full list (*=pick 2, #=pick 6. Pick 20-something is listed after academy and f/s selections)
--------------------
Harley Reid
* Colby McKercher
Jed Walter
Zane Duursma
Nick Watson
Ryley Sanders
# Caleb Windsor
26 Will Graham (after f/s & academy)

Aaron Cadman
Will Ashcroft (f/s)
* Harry Sheezel
George Wardlaw
Elijah Tsatas
Bailey Humphrey
# Cameron McKenzie
24 Charlie Clarke (after f/s & academy)

Jason Horne-Francis
Sam Darcy (f/s)
* Finn Callaghan
Nick Daicos (f/s)
Mac Andrew
Josh Rachele
Josh Ward
# Jye Amiss
22 Josh Goater (after f/s & academy)

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (academy)
Riley Thilthorpe
* Will Phillips
Logan McDonald
Braeden Campbell (academy)
Denver Grainger-Barras
Elijah Hollands
# Nick Cox
24 Blake Coleman (after f/s & academy)

Matt Rowell
* Noah Anderson
Luke Jackson
Lachlan Ash
Dylan Stephens
# Fischer McAsey
22 Deven Robertson (after f/s & academy)

Sam Walsh
* Jack Lukosius
Izak Rankine
Max King
Connor Rozee
# Ben King
23: Jez McLennan (after f/s & academy)

Cam Rayner
* Andrew Brayshaw
Paddy Dow
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Adam Cerra
# Jaidyn Stephenson
20 Callum Coleman-Jones
Appreciate the work you have done there but arent we hoping for 6 and 10 or 11?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Appreciate the work you have done there but arent we hoping for 6 and 10 or 11?
I had to edit it multiple times.

2 won't translate into 6 & 10 or 6 & 11. 2 for 6 & 20 is roughly the same amount of points. If we want 6 and 10 or 11 we'd have to give up more. I was looking purely at a direct value comparison.

I genuinely mean no offense but this is an extremely lazy and overall horrible argument that removes context and nuance from the discussion.
The discussion is sliding back - I don't agree with it unless the offer is amazing. More than happy to take pick 2 to the draft - where history says we will get a much better player than we will later in the draft.

The discussion is sliding back - I don't agree with it unless the offer is amazing. More than happy to take pick 2 to the draft - where history says we will get a much better player than we will later in the draft.
1729206778507.png

History and 'facts' would have told the Dogs to trade up in 2013 too because Pick 4 was a historically shit pick. I suppose we should have traded back (or ahead) when we had pick 4 (and picked LDU) in 2017 because the pick was historically bad? Maybe trade back to a pick which had a better hit rate historically?

It's an argument that is ridiculous because it checks the brain at the door.

If we hold at 2 your preference would be FOS/Draper?

Lets say we slide to 6 and 18 what your preferences look like at each pick?
Sid Draper is one of my favorite players in the draft but I doubt he goes pick 2 due to his ACL. Also I wouldn't want a player with no big injury history just too much of a risk

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back