Club Legend
Aug 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Hello fellow posters,

I am very proud to say, that I know someone that is in the up coming draft.

Even though he will not be picked as the #1 draft pick, my message to him is that there has been many successful picks that have come low in the numbers.

My question to you today is:

How many successful #1 draft picks have there been in its history?. (No need to mention Headland)

How many #1 draft picks have failed to make the big time?

What is the most successful lowest draft pick? (..and by successful, I mean have achieved a high standard, lenghthy and consistant career)

WCE have 2

Micheal Gardiner.
Drew Banfield.

Gardiner is a good ruckman who will only get better.
Banfield is a workhorse who is a 94 premiership player. Not a star, but does his job week in week out and you cant ask for much more.

Easy question that one. Graetest first pick of all time!!?

Gotta be Crazy Horse Clive Waterhouse!!!!!!!

(Still the leading goalkicker in Freo history).

For the record I think Reiwolt will end up being the first legitamate superstar draft with pick one (no Pie fans, ain't gonna be Fraser).

Originally posted by Lockyer24
We're very happy with the way Josh Fraser is coming along in comparison to other players of his type at this stage in his career.
I thought you were grouchy about how long he was taking.

Originally posted by Goldenblue
Drew Banfield.
"Drew Banfield

Arguably the best of the no.1 picks in the history of the AFL draft..."
-westcoasteagles.com.cu

She'd be a hell of a short argument!!

Josh Fraser, I've been told is a hack and is overrated. Just like Johnstone and Headland were before this year.

The sooner morons realise what Osteitis Pubis does to you, the better IMO!

For what its worth, both Johnstone and Headland are still overrated.

Originally posted by Porthos
For what its worth, both Johnstone and Headland are still overrated.

Yep.

Headland was excellent this year, but Freo would want to hope he is better than that for the rest of his career.

Johnstone is silk, but I doubt his ability to perfrom at a consistent level for many years. His head aint right.

Originally posted by FIGJAM
In your less than humble opinion.
Ouch!

I think they are both developing into outstanding young footballers.
Sure, but they're still being overrated.

Originally posted by BrisGirl
What is the most successful lowest draft pick? (..and by successful, I mean have achieved a high standard, lenghthy and consistant career)

To get this question rolling, I nominate Simon Black at #31 pick in the draft ........is there anymore?

(also If I could ask you to place their draft pick numbers along with the players you are mentioning...thanks)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure of the exact draft position. But im pretty sure James Hird was taken in the high 60's. He would have to be the best player, taken the lowest down in the draft.

Re: Re: #1 Draft picks and their success?

To get this question rolling, I nominate Simon Black at #31 pick in the draft ........is there anymore?

Dean Kemp was 118 or so I think. Same draft netted Brett Heady somewhere in the 90s (92?).

Wasn't Chris Grant 78 or thereabouts?

Pretty unlikely these days for a player to hide so well from the recruiting teams. Black at 31 would be extreme these days IMO.

Re: Re: #1 Draft picks and their success?

(also If I could ask you to place their draft pick numbers along with the players you are mentioning...thanks)

Whilst i'm not sure of other clubs Beau McDonald would be another Lions nomination , dual premiership ruckman and i think was taken around 72?

revised figure - 1990 draft, James Hird position 79!!

Best no.1 Draft pick of all time most definately Nick Riewoldt

Carn the mighty Saints

God I love watching people say how TJ is over-rated, how his head aint right, how we made a mistake in picking him before Ottens, Croad, Tarrant etc.

Fact - he had twice the year the other three did. We are more than happy with TJ, and with another injury free pre-season under his belt, he will only improve alot more. Just wait till he tears teams apart.

Call him over-rated. We don't care. Melbourne supporters know that his head is right, and he still has alot to improve on. And that's scary for the rest of the competition.

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell
We are more than happy with TJ, and with another injury free pre-season under his belt, he will only improve alot more. Just wait till he tears teams apart.

Call him over-rated. We don't care. Melbourne supporters know that his head is right, and he still has alot to improve on. And that's scary for the rest of the competition.
Case in point.

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell
Melbourne supporters know that his head is right, and he still has alot to improve on. And that's scary for the rest of the competition.
You must be a talented lot, you Melbourne supporters. Good to see you know exactly what's going on in your player's heads. I hope you pass this info on to your coaching staff. You may be able to stop next years trend and therefore the usual decline that follows a season where finals are experienced.

Remove this Banner Ad

#1 Draft picks and their success?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back