Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

who's the best ruckman

• D.JOLLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.CLARKE

• A.SANDILANDS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we even have to trader with Geelong? Wouldn't you prefer to just keep them both?

Geelong need players more than we have to get rid of them.
If we can get something of value for fringe players we should be taking it.

I don't care if it makes Geelong stronger because if we can land a good player in the first round we get stronger as well. No good leaving Hamish and/or Delabey to rot in the two's when we can strengthen our own team by trading them. This is all prefaced by getting something good for them, if the deals shit then we keep them.

Hamish could go from "fringe" to essential in a split second.

Guthrie or Horlin Smith or some pick 40 teenager would not.

This isn't 2010 any longer.

Hamish could go from "fringe" to essential in a split second.

Guthrie or Horlin Smith or some pick 40 teenager would not.

This isn't 2010 any longer.
And 2013 is not our year, so we need to be looking 2-3 years down the track and brining in talent that is ready to go when we are in our window. Hamish could be essential or redundant depends which way you want to look at it? If Goldy is fit we just paid 400-500K for someone to play at Werribee or North Ballarat when we could have been developing a quality kid.

I'm not talking about Guthrie or Horlin-Smith, I'm talking about packaging Hamish and Dealney and getting a first round draft pick!

I can't see Hamish or Delaney being a part of our next premiership push, so we may as well use them to get someone who may be part of our next tilt.

Haning onto Fringe players is not going to improve us as a side. If we have fringe players of value we should be leveraging that to strengthen our side, not keep players just in case something goes wrong.

I'm sure the club knows who they rate and will trade or retain accordingly. Premierships aren't won by playing it safe or keeping players because there is a chance someone might get injured, the good sides sieze the opporunity to strengthen themselves.

Agree with that, which is why the 3 talls idea is a fallacy. It was not Tarrants contested marking ability that made it work, it was his leading into space and work rate. Very few times was his size and strength a factor in his scoring of goals.

He deserved his spot no doubt, but to think the structure could not be improved upon with a more rounded player is silly IMO.

Completely agree with that.

I just felt we got a bit predictable towards the end of the season. We need players with more strings to their bows down there IMO.

And that. Once the talls were matched up on by half decent defenders it didn't appear threatening. If they don't mark (which is too often) the opposition then has a huge advantage because all three players are far too similar.

A more balanced and flexible forward group could take us places.....but unfortunately we don't have those players ready to go at the moment. The fact LT plays tall magnifies the need for different skill-sets.

Hamish can go if he wants and i'm not against that, but the consistent reference to the "3 KPF" being the reason is plain wrong IMO. He is not and ever will be a KPF regardless of how many we have. He is a ruckman, and we already have one (and he does not want to stay on as no 2). Simple.

And 2013 is not our year, so we need to be looking 2-3 years down the track and brining in talent that is ready to go when we are in our window.

If we aren't seriously pushing for a top 4 spot by the end of 2014, then I don't think this group will make it.

Hamish could be essential or redundant depends which way you want to look at it?

If one single player on the list goes down then he will be essential.

If Goldy is fit we just paid 400-500K for someone to play at Werribee or North Ballarat when we could have been developing a quality kid.

Let's can the $500K crap once and for all hey? It's a back ended contact and it's deceitful logic to keep throwing it out there for a sensationalist effect.

I'm not talking about Guthrie or Horlin-Smith, I'm talking about packaging Hamish and Dealney and getting a first round draft pick!

Pick 15 is KPP/flanker territory. We need Hamish more than we need a player fitting this category. If we can trade it for a very promising ready to go 22-25 year old ruckman , then the thought is worth entertaining. I have heard nothing to support such a trade at this point.

I can't see Hamish or Delaney being a part of our next premiership push, so we may as well use them to get someone who may be part of our next tilt.

A fit Hamish is a better player than ALL the ruckman that played on grand final day. All of them.

Sometimes I think folks just like to trade for the sake of trading.

If we aren't seriously pushing for a top 4 spot by the end of 2014, then I don't think this group will make it.

A fit Hamish is a better player than ALL the ruckman that played on grand final day. All of them.

Sometimes I think folks just like to trade for the sake of trading.

That's why we need the talent to be coming into the side now, not in 2-3 years time. Our window is opening now, so we need to be thinking of the future, not next year. Next year is about improving, not winning the flag, so as far as I am concerned Hamish is redundant and surplus. If Hamish is going to be our number one ruckman then fair enough we hang onto him, but looks like the club have told him he is number 2 and insurance only.

Trading is about improving your list and if trading Hamish improves our list then we would be mad not to do it.

If the trade is shit we hang onto him but if he provides value then we are retaining a player to play VFL just in case of an injury, which is ridiculous. We are not talking about a developing ruckman here we are talking about a player that is wanting to play at the highest level and is capable of doing that at another team. Hamish has a limited amount of time left in the game, letting him rot in the VFL is stupid if we can get something of value. As I said if Geelong don't pony up then he stays, we are not a charity either.

So what do you suggest? We alter a 154 goal/season structure?

Harvey, Harper, Adams, Thomas and Campbell don't give us enough ground cover?

Bring back Edwards?

Is this about Aaron Black?
Did you even read what I posted?

Go back and watch a few games, the HF's push up the ground leaving Tarrant, Petrie and Hansen in the F50. When we are under pressure and hack it forward its often these guys that are the only players in the F50, they regularly failed to mark it, and the opposition sweep it out of defence because they can't apply defensive pressure either.

Did you even read what I posted?

Go back and watch a few games, the HF's push up the ground leaving Tarrant, Petrie and Hansen in the F50. When we are under pressure and hack it forward its often these guys that are the only players in the F50, they regularly failed to mark it, and the opposition sweep it out of defence because they can't apply defensive pressure either.

The opposition defenders stayed back when the HFF's went up the ground, correct?

Anyone with a slight bit of ability can mark when they have the run at the ball - even Dawes takes some of those.

A real contested mark is how you describe it in your second para - basically never happens. He is awful in that position and needs a lot of work.

From 1:00

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamish is a ruckman first and foremost. He is not a key forward and he knows it. Watching a few of our early games this season again recently and our structures looked terrible. Goldy was all over the shop and Hamish simply stood in the goalsquare calling for the ball. So if we get the right trade I think it would suit both Nth and Hamish to do a deal.

Delaney on the other hand I wouldn't want to see let go. I know that a lot of you don't rate him but FFS he has played - what - 20 games? How much leeway and time do we give to Key Forwards like Hansen, Tarrant, Black, etc. (Petrie didn't hit his form until late) before they start to provide payback. I can guarantee you that Delaney, if traded, will go to an opposition side and become an excellent long term full back.

I come with respect but just wish to point out that there is no way Geelong would use pick 15 in a trade for Hamish... even if North chucked in 35.

If north wont let him go for say, pick 36 and a gillies/simpkin/stringer/burbury etc then Cats will walk away.

no harm done.

I come with respect but just wish to point out that there is no way Geelong would use pick 15 in a trade for Hamish... even if North chucked in 35.

If north wont let him go for say, pick 36 and a gillies/simpkin/stringer/burbury etc then Cats will walk away.

no harm done.

It's simple then, stop wasting our time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

Back