Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

who's the best ruckman

• D.JOLLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.CLARKE

• A.SANDILANDS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

None of their borderline players will be any use to us. Any of the ones with potential Geelong wouldn't be willing to trade I.e Horlin-Smith

Yeah true. I guess H-S is the only one I'd seriously be interested in. Not sure of his contract status but wouldn't mind thinking we're in his ear with a view to being part of the trade. If you get one of their players on side its amazing what can happen. Really if you want to stop the "victim perception" this is what you have to do.

Thats pretty good then, imo with FA if you can really front load there contract your laughing thats all I didn't mean to push any buttons with the load a player comment either
Dont worry about Hard to Beat or Teffy or whoever the **** he is? Think it might be his time of the month, which explains the mood swings ;)

Yeah true. I guess H-S is the only one I'd seriously be interested in. Not sure of his contract status but wouldn't mind thinking we're in his ear with a view to being part of the trade. If you get one of their players on side its amazing what can happen. Really if you want to stop the "victim perception" this is what you have to do.
You would think he has just slipped down the pecking order with Caddy coming on board. Someone should be reminding him all about it ;)

Front loading contracts would be a good idea for us right now, but with no full time CEO, I am not sure if we have anyone proactive enough to set this up.

Given we don't need cap relief and he is contracted, I refuse to believe that we'll agree to a shit trade just to help Hamish fulfill his wishes. I'd be absolutely furious if that were to happen.

I'd ask for a good player in return, take it or leave it, assuming that a first rounder won't be available.

I don't think we need to worry about Cam being part of being proactive and creative with contracts, do we?

What the **** would we want Stephenson for?
What the **** would we want pick 55 for?
What the **** would we want pick 36 for?
What the **** would we want Gillies for?
What the **** would we want Simpkin for?
Why the **** would we want care about what suits Geelong?

Why don't you just put on a cheer leader outfit and be done with it?

You should change your username to "Footy Dumbs."
You forgot...
What the **** would we want Caddy for?

To be honest, why did you want him? With the exodus in terms of Scarlett and the emergence of what I think will be top midfielders what was the big need for Caddy?
Mark, the same would apply to North, as they have a young emerging midfield, the difference being we lost Ling and Kelly,Corey, and Bartel all in the latter part of their careers.
Can never have enough good midfielders as you would know.

Mark, the same would apply to North, as they have a young emerging midfield, the difference being we lost Ling and Kelly,Corey, and Bartel all in the latter part of their careers.
Can never have enough good midfielders as you would know.
But you haven't lost Kelly, Corey or Bartel. And I think the first and the third will be around for some time. Maybe it's my immaturity, but I reckon it was payback for Ablett. You were well compensated, I'm aware of that, but I think that really stung Geelong, when he went.

But you haven't lost Kelly, Corey or Bartel. And I think the first and the third will be around for some time. Maybe it's my immaturity, but I reckon it was payback for Ablett. You were well compensated, I'm aware of that, but I think that really stung Geelong, when he went.
Perhaps we are looking to the future!!!!

What the **** would we want Stephenson for?
What the **** would we want pick 55 for?
What the **** would we want pick 36 for?
What the **** would we want Gillies for?
What the **** would we want Simpkin for?
Why the **** would we want care about what suits Geelong?

Why don't you just put on a cheer leader outfit and be done with it?

You should change your username to "Footy Dumbs."

Geez you need to learn some reading comprehension.

Stephenson is an ideal back-up when every North supporter is saying they'd need back-up for Goldy if HMac goes. I didn't say you'd want any of those other things or care what suits Geelong. But there's more reasons to possibly get rid of McIntoshthan just what you get back since he's one of the highest earners at the club and doesn't give you the equivalent on-field service.

Tas might be onto something here:

Perhaps North is lightening the load and front loading required player contracts so we launch a massive free agency raid next year.

Maybe if you can get rid of McIntosh's contract, shift a bunch of players in to front loading next year your could go after somebody of real quality next year who can play a big role from 2014-2016 (a much bigger role than McIntosh will play since you've got Goldy as well) when you should be in your premiership window. Maybe losing McIntosh a year early means you can make a play for someone of quality who is coming out of contract. Are any of Thomas, Roughead, Griffen, J Kennedy (WCE), Lewis, etc coming out of contract next year?

On the face of it McIntosh for 55 + Stephenson looks down right awful. If instead it enables you to tempt one of these players above then it looks like a great effective trade for North. Geelong's about the only club that would be willing and able to take on his contract. So there's a reason that maybe North would consider giving up McIntosh for unders if it gets rid of his contract. The whole issues complicated but if North agrees to a trade I'd suggest it will be more to get rid of his contract than because Geelong gave you a really good offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Hickey might not end up at St Kilda as expected, with Essendon and North Melbourne interested in securing the ruckman from afl site
if we are looking at him we must be confident of getting a deal done for mcintosh i just hope it is a good one for us

I just think your struggling to see the wood for the trees.

With the emergence of free agency I think there is going to be a much bigger "money ball" element to the game now. In the past organic growth has really been the dominant factor to success as it was near impossible to get good players. Free agency I think has changed all this.

Assuming he's on 450-500k why McIntosh is bad for the Roos:

1. His wage is too high to have on the sideline. You want to maximize the salary cap on the field. Having someone on 450-500k per year in the reserves is a disaster. That's the price you pay for a player that provides significant influence. HMac for you doesn't do that.

2. It's a bad contract. Right now he's earning more than he is worth on the free agency market. At his best he might be worth it but with his injury record no, and certainly not to a team with a better ruck men.

3. Team balance. He takes away from it. You'd be better off getting Orren Stephenson on a minimum contract and spending the extra money on a 1st team player that fits into the team structure. Someone that will week in week out have impact. Even smarter still is to bide your time, front load contracts and wait til you feel your a genuine premiership chance. Perhaps someone like David Swallow comes available. Sydney have offered 900k to Tippett and turned his head. Adelaide are now forced to trade him.

I would go after someone like Hickey, even if Hamish stays. History suggests ruckman tend to play their best footy after they are 25 at least. So we can definitely afford to have a Hickey sit on the list for another year or 2 developing if need be. Could be a good option with stuff all ruck talent coming through the junior leagues this year from all reports...

Maybe if you can get rid of McIntosh's contract, shift a bunch of players in to front loading next year your could go after somebody of real quality next year who can play a big role from 2014-2016 (a much bigger role than McIntosh will play since you've got Goldy as well) when you should be in your premiership window. Maybe losing McIntosh a year early means you can make a play for someone of quality who is coming out of contract. Are any of Thomas, Roughead, Griffen, J Kennedy (WCE), Lewis, etc coming out of contract next year?

Doesn't look like we are going after any free agents this year so what does McIntosh's contract have to do with anything? After 2013 he is uncontracted, so it will free up the space if we want to land someone next year anyway.

I don't think salary cap relief is a player here at all.

It's quite simple McIntosh wants to be number #1 banana and can do that at Geelong because your rucks are average. Geelong know this and thats why they have been trying to lure him. At the moment they are just being grubby and trying to get him for bargain basement. It's actually a pretty shit act to try and lure a CONTRACTED player and get him to want to move to your club and then only trade if you can get him on the cheap. If they had no intention of paying a fair price they should have never started the process

Doesn't look like we are going after any free agents this year so what does McIntosh's contract have to do with anything? After 2013 he is uncontracted, so it will free up the space if we want to land someone next year anyway.

I don't think salary cap relief is a player here at all.

It's quite simple McIntosh wants to be number #1 banana and can do that at Geelong because your rucks are average. Geelong know this and thats why they have been trying to lure him. At the moment they are just being grubby and trying to get him for bargain basement. It's actually a pretty shit act to try and lure a CONTRACTED player and get him to want to move to your club and then only trade if you can get him on the cheap. If they had no intention of paying a fair price they should have never started the process
How are Geelong being grubby??
He is not worth a first rd pick, our 2nd rd pick is not good enough, we are trying to upgrade this in order to do the trade.Ignore what's being said on these forums.
Don't assume we are trying to rob you, Geelong are known to be fair traders,at this stage we don't have what you need!!

How are Geelong being grubby??
He is not worth a first rd pick, our 2nd rd pick is not good enough, we are trying to upgrade this in order to do the trade.Ignore what's being said on these forums.
Don't assume we are trying to rob you, Geelong are known to be fair traders,at this stage we don't have what you need!!

If you want him to be your #1 ruckman, you pay accordingly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

Back