Player Watch #10 Aaron Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

We might see a different shape in our back 7 with both Francis and Gould playing.
Tom and Will playing as lockdowns
Paddy and Francis playing as interceptors.
Ramps and Fox playing as medium/smalls.
Lloyd playing as release man as he does now.
Ollie and Lizard playing further forward.
Of course, Paddy might be playing in the forwards. Lots of possibilities.

I don't know much about him. But sounds like he could potentially be a 3rd tall defender who is a bit quicker and can intercept as well.

We probably won't have the same back 7 throughout the whole season. So should still be opportunities for guys like Cunningham, Gould and Francis to come in and out of the team.

Matt Roberts says hi

Matthew-Roberts-on-first-day-with-the-Sydney-Swans.JPG
That’s the other rule with rangas. While every good team must have one, they must also have no more than one.

Day 1 of preseason will have to be a ranga cage match.

We also said that about McCartin to be fair and Francis has a longer lead in as an officially listed player, not to mentioned played defence more.

Wouldn’t surprise if he lined up Rd1.
While I think we should be patient if he needs more time, I think you may be right. I think the Swans defensive structure is relatively easy to play in. Our defence has been so strong for so long (accepting the dip in our rebuild) that I reckon all the roles reinforce each other very well and the players all communicate very effectively on the field.

I reckon it will be his fitness and potentially accountability he will need to work on. Swans do not accept loose units in defence.

While I think we should be patient if he needs more time, I think you may be right. I think the Swans defensive structure is relatively easy to play in. Our defence has been so strong for so long (accepting the dip in our rebuild) that I reckon all the roles reinforce each other very well and the players all communicate very effectively on the field.

I reckon it will be his fitness and potentially accountability he will need to work on. Swans do not accept loose units in defence.

I dunno, for nearly a decade we built our defence around Rampe who is a pretty loose unit

e3ef72a523097b268b9b8da9f4cb5c44.jpg

Ah yes, his legacy to neutral fans because AA selectors straight up ignored his existence after 2016

At least they were aware of his existence for a brief moment, not the same for Grundy...

He was moved to FF on the Grand Final. It'll happen again
I think there is a huge chance Paddy moves forward.
Logan needs a partner and Paddy is the kind of player that empowers those around him. Despite all the heartache on the Draft thread, we may already have our next generation forward team.

Paddy
Logan
Amartey/McLean

I think there is a huge chance Paddy moves forward.
Logan needs a partner and Paddy is the kind of player that empowers those around him. Despite all the heartache on the Draft thread, we may already have our next generation forward team.

Paddy
Logan
Amartey/McLean
Beatson openly mentioned if Buddy retired we need to get 50 goals from somewhere. McDonald is unlikely to get that for us next year. Francis has the talent to take McCartin's spot.

I look at key forwards at other clubs, they're either young and signed for looooong contracts or in their twilight years. Paddy makes all too much sense as McDonald's partner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beatson openly mentioned if Buddy retired we need to get 50 goals from somewhere. McDonald is unlikely to get that for us next year. Francis has the talent to take McCartin's spot.

I look at key forwards at other clubs, they're either young and signed for looooong contracts or in their twilight years. Paddy makes all too much sense as McDonald's partner
I think he will stay primarily in the backline but will swing between the two, more as a high forward so he’s not being crunched in packs as a deep forward, still need to be mindful of his health,
He’d be a great target around CHF when needed…
We are building great flexibility within our squad,,

We are building great flexibility within our squad,,
Absolutely.
Flexibility is the word Ive heard Kinnear use on multiple occasions. Flexibility in the squad is a direct request from Horse.

If Buddy and Reid get injured - stranger things have happened - I wouldn't be surprised to see Paddy up forward.

ps.. Pretty happy with the addition of Francis. Ill back the Swans to get out of him what that rabble down in Vic couldn't.

That’s the other rule with rangas. While every good team must have one, they must also have no more than one.

Day 1 of preseason will have to be a ranga cage match.

Francis vs Roberts vs Rankin.

Bring it on.

Is this like “Who’s on first”?
I'm rather intrigued by him. He was a high pick. I don't know much about his junior years. So I don't have a great line on him. I'm just after opinions I suppose on what he can add to the team. Some people have other insights. He seems a quality person. Essendon supporters have wished him well on here. I'm very positive. He seems to have a great leap from various footage. That's exciting. Just trying to get others views.

I hear people on Paddy moving forwards, but I reckon the primary aim of bringing in Francis is to complement Paddy in defence. Beatson mentioned that the Swans wanted another back who could intercept well. I reckon they see that as a key capability to have across multiple players.

Wikipedia says, "Francis was considered to be the best utility in his draft group, showing talent for South Australia, dominating games from both ends of the ground. He was named at centre half-forward in the All-Australian team during the 2015 AFL Under 18 Championships, often compared to AFL players Luke Hodge and Brendon Goddard in his junior year."

I have a feeling he could be amazing and wish him all the best for his time with the Swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10 Aaron Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back