Player Watch #10 Aaron Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Essendon friends told us he was a good third defender and/or third forward.

Every time he’s played for us he’s either been one or two defender…he is totally outsized for and outpaced.

He reminds me so much of another third defender at our club Jeremy laidler who I remember vividly as playing well when the team around him was good and appalling slow when they weren’t.

Francis is simply a better forward option than he is a defender.

Every time he’s played for us he’s either been one or two defender…he is totally outsized for and outpaced.

He reminds me so much of another third defender at our club Jeremy laidler who I remember vividly as playing well when the team around him was good and appalling slow when they weren’t.

Why didn’t we give Hamling a run ? 🤨

Why didn’t we give Hamling a run ? 🤨
The club seem to have him pegged as the KPF backup and Francis as the KPD backup. I can only assume they believe Francis is the better of the 2 as far as defending goes. They would see him play in the VFL and at training every week.

He's not as outsized as Rmpe. Rampe 187 to Francis 192. I just don't think he has s good footy brain. Second guesses hinself all the time. Tentative, 5 metres off his man, slow to realise when a lead is on and rarely gets to the contest. DELIST.

The club seem to have him pegged as the KPF backup and Francis as the KPD backup. I can only assume they believe Francis is the better of the 2 as far as defending goes. They would see him play in the VFL and at training every week.
Maybe there is something to work on with Arnold because this bloke is never going to make it. He is not good enough. Totally out of his depth at this level.

Maybe there is something to work on with Arnold because this bloke is never going to make it. He is not good enough. Totally out of his depth at this level.
He was servicable enough early in the year when covering for McCartin, but yes, I don't think he's senior standard.

The problem is that it's tough to find players who are going to be senior standard, yet happy to play in the VFL most of the season as backup. Having players like Francis, Hamling, Spangher, Talia etc on your list is just what you have to do sometimes. Especially with key position players as young KPs can be completely out of their depth when brought in too soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True the effort of Francis can't be questioned but he's simply overmatched by AFL standard forwards.

His best stretches in games seem to be when he focuses on nothing but belting the hell out of the ball whenever it's in his vicinity.

Let's be fair he was on a hiding to nothing.

Seems to be a confidence player and we pick him when desperate. I also think he is a forward not a defender.

Don't get me wrong I think he is just not quite there .... Certainly not a key defender but gee thrown in clearly as a last resort in a game where he had 0 support .

I know I did shit on him during the game so am being a hypocrite

Let's be fair he was on a hiding to nothing.

Seems to be a confidence player and we pick him when desperate. I also think he is a forward not a defender.

Don't get me wrong I think he is just not quite there .... Certainly not a key defender but gee thrown in clearly as a last resort in a game where he had 0 support .

I know I did shit on him during the game so am being a hypocrite

70 inside 50's and with such delivery the poor bastard had no chance

70 inside 50's and with such delivery the poor bastard had no chance

Don't get me wrong i'd drop him, but watching a replay at least he ran and tried to compete.

More than I can say for the stars

What about Blakeys draft profile

plays predominately in the forward 50, where he's most dangerous. He is a smart footballer, who possesses plenty of striking attributes, such as versatility, contested marking, goal sense and competitiveness

I still think his best role is as intercept defender as he has reasonable hands. He is not a lock-down type but has had to play as one and therefore has had to put on bulk to do so. I think if he had trimmed back down he would have had a bit of pace and mobility and could have been more like Rampe. If, if, if... it's too late now.

His best role is as the third defender / interceptor. He should have come in when Rampe was first out, and not as a direct replacement for McCartin (earlier on) and Melican (now). Even before the current slump our intercepting marking was amongst the lowest in the league and has been since P.McCartin retired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10 Aaron Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back