Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

1 on 1 defending isn't his strong suit, probably better suited further up the ground, apart from Sheez, is probably our best kicker in from a behind, but after his slip that cost goal, did not drop his head that i noticed, i like that, a lot.
Theres a method to the madness, teaching these boys some defensive accountability will benefit them immensely when they are in their preferred positions. Also after the **** up, the boys did rally around him. I liked that.

Theres a method to the madness, teaching these boys some defensive accountability will benefit them immensely when they are in their preferred positions. Also after the **** up, the boys did rally around him. I liked that.
Griff the first one to get over to him, got his arm around him

1 on 1 defending isn't his strong suit, probably better suited further up the ground, apart from Sheez, is probably our best kicker in from a behind, but after his slip that cost goal, did not drop his head that i noticed, i like that, a lot.
Yeah loved this also.....thought he dropped his head a little against the Swans, so was great to see. Weapon

The Colby not being a brilliant kick thing is the most insane thing I’ve read anywhere anytime, in the history of my life. He has 2 key attributes: speed and kicking. And those attributes are so awesome that he got picked at picked 2. He needs to build up other areas of his game to be a star, but speed and kicking ain’t them.

One problem he does has, and what’s funny is I reckon I heard commentators say this about Merrit a number of years ago during a game, is that because he is such an elite kick and is all about hitting targets, he hates kicking long to packs. Watch the slip play, he has the chance to kick it long to the boundary, but he doesn’t want to, he wants to come in board to try hit a target.

The Colby not being a brilliant kick thing is the most insane thing I’ve read anywhere anytime, in the history of my life. He has 2 key attributes: speed and kicking. And those attributes are so awesome that he got picked at picked 2. He needs to build up other areas of his game to be a star, but speed and kicking ain’t them.

One problem he does has, and what’s funny is I reckon I heard commentators say this about Merrit a number of years ago during a game, is that because he is such an elite kick and is all about hitting targets, he hates kicking long to packs. Watch the slip play, he has the chance to kick it long to the boundary, but he doesn’t want to, he wants to come in board to try hit a target.
Yeah I was yelling to kick it long down the line as I only thought there was 30 seconds or so left in quarter

Paddy Cripps just revealed that they moved Cincotta onto Colby after half time because “he was giving North plenty of drive out of their defence”

If Colby doesn’t get you, George will and if George doesn’t, Harry will.
And don’t forget about LDU.

We are going to have some fun in the years to come.

I just feel that if you say wardlaw, sheez and Kerch are truly elite, I feel that sheez has a bit of improvement left in him, Wardlaw has a large amount left in him as his body comes on, but Kerch is so far off his ceiling you can’t even see it with a telescope.
sheezel has a bit of improvement? Huh? He’s arguably our most talented player since Wayne Carey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is surely gonna start getting tags soon if not immediately. Just cant have a bloke of his caliber running amok unchecked.
This is where I feel he will shine where Daicos has faltered slightly.
Not only one of the best players in the league but probably top 3 for footy IQ. He will be too smart to be tagged out of a game for long. Has too many ticks in his wizard bag.

As for Colby, kid is a jet, while enjoying what he does now and that is pretty damn good, looking forward to him putting on 5kgs and getting that rock solid look, moving upto the midfield and cutting teams apart. He will be the one that be getting the 30 and 2 goal games regularly.

Just imagine 2 players averaging 25 plus and a goal and a bit a game. In Harry’s case I think that will be closer to 2 goals a game moving forward.

I know. Already.

How much better can he get? 50 disposals 5 goals a week?
hah, I know you're exaggerating a bit there, however I'm not sure there is much more improvement thats possible. No slight on him at all, I love him, just that there's probably an absolute ceiling in terms of how many disposals + goals you can get, its either play majority midfield and get 30 disposal and around 2 goals, or play majority forward and get maybe 20 disposals and around 5 goals.

He's already a calm head with the ball with some awesome tricks, i guess where I could see improvement is he could become even better with his disposals and everything should naturally get better as the team rises overall

Sheezels improvement will come from converting some of his disposals into ones that really hurt the opposition.
He already hurts the opposition obviously, but he will convert a greater % of his disposals into damaging possessions.

I just feel that if you say wardlaw, sheez and Kerch are truly elite, I feel that sheez has a bit of improvement left in him, Wardlaw has a large amount left in him as his body comes on, but Kerch is so far off his ceiling you can’t even see it with a telescope.

Wait until Colby has the strength to break tackles like he could in juniors, he is going to be an absolute powerhouse midfielder once his body matures.

Same deal with Wardlaw with his tank. Once he maintain his level of intensity for longer periods there would be a better pressure/repeat effort midfielder in the comp.

He'll get stronger with age. Get 3-4 more contested possessions. He'll start attending more than 40% centre bounces and start getting a couple more clearances.

Then he will essentially be prime GAJ.

Sure, my point was that he’s not that far off that now.

Sheezel has a small to medium amount of improvement left.

Wardlaw a large amount

Kerch a very large amount

If I could make .gifs by taking screen shots of kayo i’d have backed it up. Kayo doesn’t let me screen shot any longer.. Ive said he’s a 7/10 kick, after falling over not wanting to run on his right side, he’s now a one dimensional 7/10 kick.

FWIW 7/10 is still good.

George is about a 4/10 kick for comparison.

Goes back to check who DuckYeah wanted in the last 2 drafts...

I know. Already.

How much better can he get? 50 disposals 5 goals a week?
If that happens, a lot of us here many never be able to father (in some cases, more) children…

This is where I feel he will shine where Daicos has faltered slightly.
Not only one of the best players in the league but probably top 3 for footy IQ. He will be too smart to be tagged out of a game for long. Has too many ticks in his wizard bag.

As for Colby, kid is a jet, while enjoying what he does now and that is pretty damn good, looking forward to him putting on 5kgs and getting that rock solid look, moving upto the midfield and cutting teams apart. He will be the one that be getting the 30 and 2 goal games regularly.

Just imagine 2 players averaging 25 plus and a goal and a bit a game. In Harry’s case I think that will be closer to 2 goals a game moving forward.
Notice i didnt say successfully tagged 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back