Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s the difference between having composure and not. Replacing Fisher has to be a priority in the next 18 months.
Hardeman has something. Reckon he’s going to be a player.

What have you seen that I haven’t? Im not sure he will end up any better than happy meal
Skills, poise, confidence, defensive running, leadership.

Only played 3 games and made one bad decision in his third game to kick across goal against Crows (I think it was) which got intercepted and they scored - it also changed the momentum of the game. He was filthy on himself, but he had the guts to back himself in.

As WA captain he played wing and outside midfielder which will suit us fine in the long run.

DRAFT PROFILE - STRENGTHS

It doesn’t take long to recognise that Hardeman is an elite runner, suited mostly to the outside. While certainly capable of racking up possessions at the centre bounces, the versatile talent has mostly cut his teeth on a wing and at half-back. There, he works hard both ways to penetrate either arc and spread the play from side to side with his booming left foot. He’s also handy overhead. In essence, Hardeman is effective in transition and suits the modern game with his willingness to take it on.

Only played 3 games and made one bad decision in his third game to kick across goal against Crows (I think it was) which got intercepted and they scored - it also changed the momentum of the game. He was filthy on himself, but he had the guts to back himself in.

As WA captain he played wing and outside midfielder which will suit us fine in the long run.

It doesn’t take long to recognise that Hardeman is an elite runner, suited mostly to the outside. While certainly capable of racking up possessions at the centre bounces, the versatile talent has mostly cut his teeth on a wing and at half-back. There, he works hard both ways to penetrate either arc and spread the play from side to side with his booming left foot. He’s also handy overhead. In essence, Hardeman is effective in transition and suits the modern game with his willingness to take it on.

I'm with you, Hardeman showed his speed and raking left foot but also his desire to get after the ball and the man. Build some strength and continuity and he should be in the mix. I have him in my best 23 for next year on the proviso we move Colby up the ground, which we have to do otherwise it is a criminal act.

Colby in the guts and Hardemann on the left wing could be something in a few years.

Just has zero footy IQ IMO

Who you talking about? Suremy not kerch?

That run where he kept taking bounces, burning off players whilst also carving through others while scanning upfield and continually accessing his options the finally hit up a fwd lace up was almost sheezel level.

Maybe only zane has the same natural footballing iq. These 3 guys are tip 3 percent thinkers.

That run where he kept taking bounces, burning off players whilst also carving through others while scanning upfield and continually accessing his options the finally hit up a fwd lace up was almost sheezel level.

Maybe only zane has the same natural footballing iq. These 3 guys are tip 3 percent thinkers.
No. 💯 talking about fisher. Fisher runs past blokes on their right side calling for the ball, gets it and is instantly in trouble. Colby looks elite.

No. 💯 talking about fisher. Fisher runs past blokes on their right side calling for the ball, gets it and is instantly in trouble. Colby looks elite.

Colby has an elite burst of speed where I feel he’s the only guy on our list with an excuse to get a receive on his wrong side as I feel like he’s going to be able to break the game open still and get himself into space.

So about 15 minutes after that shocking kick he did it again, hit the target and they ran out the backline cos the kick opened up play. I liked the fact he was prepared to back himself and get it right the next time in in that situation.

Where the hell have you seen natural footballing IQ from Zane? All I've seen is raw talent. Contested marks and a reasonable goalkicking technique. Hasn't done much else, if anything at all. Hasn't gotten to good spots to receive it, hasn't read the ball well off contests, hasn't man marked well at all

Where the hell have you seen natural footballing IQ from Zane? All I've seen is raw talent. Contested marks and a reasonable goalkicking technique. Hasn't done much else, if anything at all. Hasn't gotten to good spots to receive it, hasn't read the ball well off contests, hasn't man marked well at all
Iam from gippland, your time will come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol.

The kid's been in the caper 10 minutes.

I'm not saying he hasn't. I have high hopes for him, I'm just asking for the instances in which he's shown footy IQ
The goal sense coming on as sub and nailing the dribbler?
That potential mark of the year?
Reckon the handful of games he had at the start of the year vs the end, you could see the confidence poking its head

The goal sense coming on as sub and nailing the dribbler?
That potential mark of the year?
Reckon the handful of games he had at the start of the year vs the end, you could see the confidence poking its head
That's brilliance. All comes from natural ability. I never said he wasn't talented either. Footy IQ is when you handball it over to your head to a bloke you know is there running at full pelt, when you shark a contest at pace because you know where the ball is going to land before anyone else, when you jump to successfully smother an overlap handball. Ie. stuff that Sheezel has done from day dot. We have Sheezel, Larkey and Powell as visibly intelligent players. I'm not sure any of the rest of them are. Not sure why this is being taken as a criticism of Duursma's worth. Not once have I said I don't rate him

That's brilliance. All comes from natural ability. I never said he wasn't talented either. Footy IQ is when you handball it over to your head to a bloke you know is there running at full pelt, when you shark a contest at pace because you know where the ball is going to land before anyone else, when you jump to successfully smother an overlap handball. Ie. stuff that Sheezel has done from day dot. We have Sheezel, Larkey and Powell as visibly intelligent players. I'm not sure any of the rest of them are. Not sure why this is being taken as a criticism of Duursma's worth. Not once have I said I don't rate him

I’m unsure of how this pick is going to turn out. I see the clear match winning talent. But I have concerns and not sure he was the right pick.

But if you’re asking for an example of footy IQ, and accept “getting tot eh right spots” as an example of that, I’ll raise his round 2 game vs freo.

11 marks pushing up hard up the wing.

Yeah, I’m going to put him in the category or replacing TT (obviously not as well at this point) for lost brilliance vs footy iq.

But when you put it like that, I guess I’m not disagreeing with your point, but other than Sheezel, who do we have that has good iq?

Thinking of players who can think through plays, even considering wardlaw, I don’t think we have anyone else but Sheezel?

Yeah, I’m going to put him in the category or replacing TT (obviously not as well at this point) for lost brilliance vs footy iq.

But when you put it like that, I guess I’m not disagreeing with your point, but other than Sheezel, who do we have that has good iq?

Thinking of players who can think through plays, even considering wardlaw, I don’t think we have anyone else but Sheezel?
I mentioned Powell and Larkey, maybe a bit charitably. They don't do that three steps ahead shit as often as Sheezel. Powell in his first year showed some beautiful disposal placement and seemed to know instinctively where to go to get the thing. He's stalled a bit, but you see titbits of it still every now and again. He's still a good inside 50 kick because he understands where to put it. Larkey did it more last year. He'd sneak out the back when he should and led when he should. And uses a clever kicking style that ensures sustained accuracy. Balance is off a bit now in regards to his positioning. And that isn't helped by the fact that we pop it on his head.

But yes, a ton still rests on Sheezel's shoulders. As with almost every aspect of what makes a football team, he's carrying an unreasonable load

I’m unsure of how this pick is going to turn out. I see the clear match winning talent. But I have concerns and not sure he was the right pick.

But if you’re asking for an example of footy IQ, and accept “getting tot eh right spots” as an example of that, I’ll raise his round 2 game vs freo.

11 marks pushing up hard up the wing.
Fair enough, I'll concede that.

Next step is to know how to do it inside 50. He's talented when he gets it but that's no use when you go missing in your favoured position. Time on his side, but sometimes he'd be on the field and you would not notice him at all. I also don't know if he was the right pick, and it is grating seeing Watson do what he does, but there must be a way to use him well. Be hard pushed to have his attributes and not make a career of it.

Sheezel has exceptional iq, unfair to compare most blokes to him, he is in comparison with greg williams and pendalbury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back