Past #10: Jesse W Smith - 27 games for NM - traded to Saints at end '09 - 0 further games in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jesse Smith Asks For Trade

F**k Him! trade him to Freo!!! Even if we only get half a pack of tim tams for it. I'd rather get nothing for him then see him go to where he wants now!

Since we drafted him he's had:
  • Roughly 20 games
  • Spent the majority of his time injured.
  • Used up our resources: Medical, Monetary, List Space
  • Got supporters worked up for no return.

I say it's a good thing.

From his perspective, those first three have likely caused him a huge amount of anguish, and the last one a huge amount of pressure.

I think he is making the right decision for himself, no doubt about it. A change of scenery may not provide a miracle cure to his injury woes, but at least it will the alleviate the pressure of being the messiah in the eyes of some supporters. It may only be a small win for him, but considering the last few years he has had that could be significant for him.

Furthermore, he may get the security of a longer contract: the guy is a professional footballer after all. People have been going on and on about how he grew up around the club, how it should be like home to him, how they feel betrayed by this decision. That's meaningless to me. Sure he grew up here, but he did so wanting to be a professional footballer: this is clearly the decision he feels he must make to continue that. No doubt it was a tougher, more meaningful decision for him than it was for Gibbo.

You could spend hours weighing up the risks of trading him. What if he comes good at another club? What if the player/pick we get for him bombs? All pointless: they are potential futures for every player, every trade, every draft pick. He is an injury-riddled back flanker, 27 games to his name, out of contract and wants out. What else would you do but trade him? Lets get him where he wants to go and ensure we are appropriately compensated.

Good luck to him I say, if only so he can walk normally for the rest of his life. Of course, I also hope whoever we draft in his place kicks a million goals on him...

Geelong are likely to trade Mumford to Sydney, possibly for their newly gained pick 14 which they gained from Collingwood for Jolly. Maybe that's involved in the JWS trade?

Time to cut our losses. The great white hope must die. We can't keep dreaming that his ankle will come good and he'll lead us to a premiership. Good luck, Jesse.

what do u mean by that filthy
too precious for the brad scott regime? :confused:

sounds like he just wants a fresh start at another club
has been rumours on here for ages that he hasnt been happy with the medicos

I would have thought a new coach, new facilities and new medical staff was a fresh start?

Sounds like Jesse is behaving like a bit of a princess.

I would have thought a new coach, new facilities and new medical staff was a fresh start?

Sounds like Jesse is behaving like a bit of a princess.

The problem is that Jesse Smith has been let down by our medical staff who are now gone and the club acknowledges that. They then offer him a 1 year deal knowing that he has been screwed around and perhaps a few years have been taken off his career as a result of bad medical decisions and miss management. If that’s the case, you can understand why he would be pissed off – but its still no reason to kick up a stink and leave, given that the club continued to offer him contracts with minimum output.

Like how does it take 22 weeks to find out he has a bone spur in his ankle, for f..ks sake, is it that hard to get an MRI or Scan on the ankle that has been f….ked for 4 years.

Geelong are likely to trade Mumford to Sydney, possibly for their newly gained pick 14 which they gained from Collingwood for Jolly. Maybe that's involved in the JWS trade?

Mumford to Sydney for pick 14 then 14 and Wojo or 14 by itself to us for JWS or JWS and 41

I think it is about time Jesse took some responsibility for his own mis-
management instead of blaming everyone else.
Co-operation is the key word when you are a team player otherwise play tennis, a game where "divas" thrive and prosper.

Good post.

I have read so much crap from the Drafts board about JWS leaving because North could not manage his injuries or were under resourced. What a load of shit. I refused to believe negative character references about JWS but maybe they were on the money. You want to give it one last go? You shut your mouth, put your arse up and head down and work hard. You repay the faith to those that have believed in you, not shit in their face.

Frankly, I can't see what more the club could have done. There is even an offer on the table FFS!

I'm not going to wish him ill harm but this is sad.

If we get pick 14 for Jesse W I'm calling my dealer, jumping on a train to London and pitching up at Kate Moss' house because its clearly the day when the patently impossible becomes monumentally awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is that Jesse Smith has been let down by our medical staff who are now gone and the club acknowledges that. They then offer him a 1 year deal knowing that he has been screwed around and perhaps a few years have been taken off his career as a result of bad medical decisions and miss management. If that’s the case, you can understand why he would be pissed off – but its still no reason to kick up a stink and leave, given that the club continued to offer him contracts with minimum output.

Like how does it take 22 weeks to find out he has a bone spur in his ankle, for f..ks sake, is it that hard to get an MRI or Scan on the ankle that has been f….ked for 4 years.

What a load of bullshit.

Where has the club ever acknowledged that they mismanaged his treatment?

Do you know if he had scans or not during the season or are you just making it up?

What a load of bullshit.

Where has the club ever acknowledged that they mismanaged his treatment? By sacking the entire medical staff - is that not enough evidence for ya. You don't have to be Einstein to read between the lines.

Do you know if he had scans or not during the season or are you just making it up?
- Post season they did a scan and come up with another theory that they did a scan and then removed a bone spur - which they believe will solve most of the issues hes had. How many messages over the last 3 years have we got regarding Jesse Smith and his ankle.

Then theres Wells - 18 weeks to diagnose him with OP - when he was struggling with it in round 1.

No need to say anymore.

We have, since the beginning, referred to this young player as JW Smith, to ensure he is adequately distinguished from other Jesse Smith's and indeed, these days from our own Josh Smith.

I notice the AFL site refers to him as "Injury Prone Smith..." If only we'd known from the beginning his true name. Would have saved us a lot of time and frustration with IPS. :cool:

Unfortunately, they appear to have blown his cover and this makes any trade highly unlikely you'd think.

We have, since the beginning, referred to this young player as JW Smith, to ensure he is adequately distinguished from other Jesse Smith's and indeed, these days from our own Josh Smith.

I notice the AFL site refers to him as "Injury Prone Smith..." If only we'd known from the beginning his true name. Would have saved us a lot of time and frustration with IPS. :cool:

Unfortunately, they appear to have blown his cover and this makes any trade highly unlikely you'd think.

The way Jesse Smith has handled himself by not telling us earlier in the piece he wants out, makes me think the two words SOFT and TISSUE suit this bloke down to the ground. If he was so keen to leave, he should have knocked our contract back long ago and informed us he wanted to leave, not on the Monday or Tuesday of trade week.

I just can't see how we can keep him on the list now, even if Geelong or Brisbane, don't want him?

Re: If JWS leaves...

Frown, shrug my shoulders, move on and wait for the next big thing at North. I'm disappointed, as he has been talked up so much over the years (and a lot of time and money has been invested in him by the club), but its not as though we are going to have a huge hole to fill in our team.

[/b] - Post season they did a scan and come up with another theory that they did a scan and then removed a bone spur - which they believe will solve most of the issues hes had. How many messages over the last 3 years have we got regarding Jesse Smith and his ankle.

Then theres Wells - 18 weeks to diagnose him with OP - when he was struggling with it in round 1.

No need to say anymore.

I don't think "sacked the medical staff" is accurate. I thought we have had a restructure, which in part was changing some former part time roles to full time, which the people in those positions chose not to change to full time due to their other work commitments.

i would be really upset if he left but if it happens then well good luck to jesse. Ive been a huge fan of his over the past couple of years and for the past 2 years i prayed he could get his body right. even if he goes i still wish him all the best and hopefully he gets his body right to be able to play at his best. still hope for him to still be in the blue and white next season, but il understand if he leaves. good luck to jesse which ever way he goes

And you know this, how?
Remember there is always two sides to every story- perhaps you heard this disparaging remark about our medical staff out of the mouth of?, let me guess- no it is too hard.:rolleyes:

Don't want JWS to leave & don't think he should want to leave either but it has been requeste and our coach has said if you don' want to be her their is the door so;

Can we upgrade one of our picks for Geelongs pick 17. Not interested in other teams fringe players. Could we swap 25 for 17. Would it be worth just swapping 21 for 17 or to stretch it the other way 41 for 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #10: Jesse W Smith - 27 games for NM - traded to Saints at end '09 - 0 further games in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back