Past #10: Jesse W Smith - 27 games for NM - traded to Saints at end '09 - 0 further games in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: JWS - now unlikely to leave.

This is a shit situation. If he signs with us, he clearly doesn't want to be at the club :(

Just quietly, this chat format is absolute bulls*it. impossible to post a question yet theyre posting comments from people attacking other clubs. Poor effort on the AFL's part.

I think they should ( even though I don't want to loose JWS) as he doesn't want to be at North but I think if we don't trade him we will loose out what doues everyone think?

Just quietly, this chat format is absolute bulls*it. impossible to post a question yet theyre posting comments from people attacking other clubs. Poor effort on the AFL's part.

Yeah you can't get a comment on the Hun Blog up either.

In my case, probably a good thing!

In response to my question:

[Comment From Dan]
Any news on what Bryce Lewis and Cameron have been up to? heard they were there 2 hrs ago but no news since.

I got the answer:

Steve Lavell: Dan, Bryce and Cam are still in there finalising North's week. I can't get an update on Jesse Smith.

Re: Where to for JWS?

I have a feeling he will re-sign, if Scott lets him.

If not, he will end up at richmond i suppose. Melbourne are likely to take Luke Ball if ball goes to the PSD. Will be an interesting PSD for sure.

i think we might have sharrod wellingham (or someone from collingwood) its been said that collingwood had offerered pick 25 as part of the deal for luke ball, which has noe been rejected. so i think theyve given us sharrod wellingham in exchange for pick 25 and then wernt able to get the luke ball deal done

if he goes to Richmond or Melbourne in the PSD, he's got an equal chance of getting himself right considering their medical facilities would be on par with ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't ask for mediation to get a trade done, only came out late in the week and asked for a trade, didn't get a lot of interest from other clubs. It doesn't sound like a guy desperate to leave at any cost.

I think he has a month or so for him to sit down with the club and see if they can mend the relationship. If we wanted him gone he would be gone.

I guess that is what happens when you offer a player a one year deal on low money, they are entitled to see if that is all they are worth.

We will either sort things out or he will get picked up in the draft for peanuts, don't think people would take him on at a decent salary.

Didn't ask for mediation to get a trade done, only came out late in the week and asked for a trade, didn't get a lot of interest from other clubs. It doesn't sound like a guy desperate to leave at any cost.

I think he has a month or so for him to sit down with the club and see if they can mend the relationship. If we wanted him gone he would be gone.

I guess that is what happens when you offer a player a one year deal on low money, they are entitled to see if that is all they are worth.

We will either sort things out or he will get picked up in the draft for peanuts, don't think people would take him on at a decent salary.

Well said Zvim... and I'll add..

The fact North are only paying out the minimum (92%) salary cap is stinging JWS abit it seems. If the world was flat and he could do all the things he dreamed, then he wouldn't be so fickle about his predictament.
He'll just have to hope that 'time' will cure his injury woes and then he'll get back to do what he hopes to accomplish... get a full season under his belt. He can't even consider asking for anything more...as he has the opportunity to play at the highest level. C'mon JWS, suck it up princess.

i think we might have sharrod wellingham (or someone from collingwood) its been said that collingwood had offerered pick 25 as part of the deal for luke ball, which has noe been rejected. so i think theyve given us sharrod wellingham in exchange for pick 25 and then wernt able to get the luke ball deal done

i think we accepted the wellingham and pick 30 for pick 25 on the condition that collingwood would have secured luke ball from st kilda.
seeing as the luke ball didnt go through, nothing went through

Well said Zvim... and I'll add..

The fact North are only paying out the minimum (92%) salary cap is stinging JWS abit it seems. If the world was flat and he could do all the things he dreamed, then he wouldn't be so fickle about his predictament.
He'll just have to hope that 'time' will cure his injury woes and then he'll get back to do what he hopes to accomplish... get a full season under his belt. He can't even consider asking for anything more...as he has the opportunity to play at the highest level. C'mon JWS, suck it up princess.

We are paying 95% I believe, but also had 2 veterans and don't think we used all of our marketing allowance.

I just don't think it is healthy to over-pay players, it doesn't matter if you are paying 92.5% or 100%. If someone is young, played less than 50 games and has not been able to get on the park for a while then they shouldn't be on great money. You have to reward the players who are playing good footy.

But, we shouldn't put someone to the sword financially when they got hurt representing the club either. There should be some balance. "IF" he has been slacking off on his rehab work then he should be on a performance based contract which includes meeting a high rehab standard.

I just think there are some lessons to learn from this pre-season period from Gibson and Smith. When you go up the ladder player retention is a key to success, we need to make sure we have a very good relationship with our players.

Just on the point where there was no interest, well, that's baloney.

Doggies, Magpies, Lions, Cats all expressed interest.

Sounds like teams are/were interested.

They were keen to the point of seeing his medical analysis, how many put an offer on the table?

Balme said it wasn't Geelong initiating or driving the Smith interest but were prepared to take a risk on him on minimum pay and conceded a trade was not likely but not impossible.

Did he get past the medical examination anywhere else?

Only a couple of weeks ago Scott came out and said if you don't want to be here we don't want you.

2 weeks later Jessie said he doesn't want to be at the club.

The reality is unless Scott acknowledges that the speech was nothing more then grandstanding fueled by a room full of alcohol and testosterone then he is a complete hypocrite.

You can understand JWS frustration of not getting on the park and thinking a change of senery might do the trick. Hasn't happened, so now he buckles down in our new "high performance" culture and shows us his suff.

We love Jesse... No, wait, we hate Jesse... No, wait, we love him again...

If he goes into the draft, I expect another flip-flop... then, if we happen to pick him up ourselves once more, a fourth flip-flop is surely on the cards.

:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #10: Jesse W Smith - 27 games for NM - traded to Saints at end '09 - 0 further games in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back