Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't know what he brings to the table. He constantly looks like he's moving through quicksand, so it isn't athleticism. He can't reliably execute fundamentals and his go to kick involves dumping it down the line to nothing, so it isn't skills. He shat himself at the end of the game, so it isn't leadership and composure. He's tough and I'm sure he's a great guy, but he's a nothing footballer.

He wasn't that bad. Expectations are understandably high because he is captain. That is an easy fix.

C'mon mate.

Been on the list for 10 years.

Being a captain you should undoubtedly be expected to execute basic disposal on a regular basis.

He's not alone, but the qualities he brings don't necessitate him to be on an AFL list.

I really don't know what he brings to the table. He constantly looks like he's moving through quicksand, so it isn't athleticism. He can't reliably execute fundamentals and his go to kick involves dumping it down the line to nothing, so it isn't skills. He shat himself at the end of the game, so it isn't leadership and composure. He's tough and I'm sure he's a great guy, but he's a nothing footballer.
He can captain for 100 games and this was the game - protecting a lead with a young side. Its yr backline. The leo barry moment.
And he did nothing to save it. Plenty to lose it. And didnt lead others to save it. Thats on him. If he was setting up structures, telling them to keep their heads, instructing and settling - im happy to say im wrong. But i couldnt see it and if he was doing it, it didn't work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

That lazy and careless out on the full kick when we were easily in control of the game in the 3rd changed the course of the game. Inexcusable. And from a captain?

Has the composure of a seal with no fins in shark infested waters.

The moment he kicked that out on the full I knew he’d gifted all the momentum to WC.

I thought before round 1 he’d be out by end of year. I know Goater wasn’t part of the plan but yeah, it’s time and I expect the club to get their shit together end of year.

Genuinely hope he is not contracted beyond next year, farewell season in the magoos.
Has 2 years to go. Fair question - if he was out of contract, would he get another? We know the answer. It was a dumb panicky compromised list call giving him a 5 year contract. Looks so bad now but dont double down. Cut our losses.

Has 2 years to go. Fair question - if he was out of contract, would he get another? We know the answer. It was a dumb panicky compromised list call giving him a 5 year contract. Looks so bad now but dont double down. Cut our losses.

Yes of course he’d get another contract. Can’t just fill a side with teenagers and expect it to work out. Luke’s not perfect, but he’s definitely best 22. For instance, there was a bit of play when we were under pressure deep in defence and Luke received a handball knowing as soon as he got the footy he’d be smashed, he took the hit and didn’t fumble the ball, he won’t get a stat for that, but if he shirks it, the ball gets loose and west coast probably score. He does that type of thing multiple times a game, it’s why he’s respected by his teammates and other footballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back