Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice way to finish your career. Top ten B&F and then announce you’re retiring.

Kudos and thanks for your efforts Luke.

🙄
It is the 7th day … let there truly be hope

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1726357142896.png

"Trade me? What do you mean?"

"Well you don't have to go mate. Just thinking you want to play senior footy and opportunities will be a lot tougher next year"

"Why?"

"We've got a premium player who's serious about coming over. You guys will be going head to head for a spot. This guy is a club captain, big fish for our little community club to land"

(long silence) "Sicily?"

"No, Luke McDonald"

(long silence) "The guy with the beard?"

"No he shaved it off mate"

"But.. You said a club captain?"

"He is"

"You can't be .. you're replacing me with a guy who used to have a beard who I can't even remember us ever mentioning during oppo strategy sessions?"

"Don't make this awkward. He'd walk into any best 22. Go and get showered mate we'll talk later"

McDonald at 9th I can almost get. He was solid for large swathes of the year, whilst a few of our lads weren't. Larkey, Archer and Scott the only real potential replacements there. But Zurhaar at 6th is batshit insane
Zurhaar had a good season and didn't really start well. He was more consistent than he's been before once the season got going and worked alot harder for his teammates as the year went on.

There’s no way his replaced now as a starter in the AFL and will be re appointed as Captain come 2025.
To bad this 2024 had this had been 1994 he be lucky to be in the Top 5 of the VFL side.
It’s a sad sight how far this club has fallen and I dare say the greatest sporting tragedy in Australian sport.
Its the greatest sporting tragedy in the history of humanity, without a doubt.

Outside of the top 3, last nights BnF sums up BnF’s for s**t teams = someone has to get the votes.

They don’t hence the uneven voting across the rounds.

Otherwise every round would see players getting top votes every week and that is just not how the voting works.

What it does show is that us in the great unwashed have next to zero insight into what coaches plans are and how players execute to those plans.

Also prior to the last three or so weeks Luke had a pretty consistent couple of months where he played within his limitations and was probably the better performed of our captains.

They don’t hence the uneven voting across the rounds.

Otherwise every round would see players getting top votes every week and that is just not how the voting works.

What it does show is that us in the great unwashed have next to zero insight into what coaches plans are and how players execute to those plans.

Also prior to the last three or so weeks Luke had a pretty consistent couple of months where he played within his limitations and was probably the better performed of our captains.

Didn’t know that. It is a convoluted voting system that tbh I’ve never really looked into. I always thought that everyone gets a minimum of one vote just for playing and it scales up from there.

Any chance you can point me to where I can find the rules of voting system?

Zurhaar had a good season and didn't really start well. He was more consistent than he's been before once the season got going and worked alot harder for his teammates as the year went on.
Did he. and was he? I feel like I saw twice as much of PC as him. To me it looked like he sort of just hung around the fringes for most of the year. I'm not shitty about the contract because it's obvious he's a physical specimen who could be a ****ing gun for 20 of 23 games, but I was definitely disappointed with him this year

So. Four defenders in the top 10, with three of them inarguable, and the other one borderline, with arguments for either camp.

Take away our last two games, leaving everyone else with the 23 games they played, and our defence was a point better than WC and 26 points better than Richmond. If that doesn't indicate how shit our team defence was upfield, nothing does

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back