Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

paps1.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope the midfield experiment is over. We just don't need him in there.

He's exponentially better playing on instinct forward of the footy.
Attending the occasional CB isn't being a midfielder. It takes less than 2-3% of his on-field time and he tears off down into the forward line. Good for a change-up from time to time.

Forever on the ground whenever something doesn’t work out for him but recovers well enough the run the length of the ground to celebrate when it works out.
Crucial miss at the end.

He seemed back in at more bounces with Adams off, wasn't a fan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he droppable? Would it send a statement to the senior playing group to fire up? Would it help Papley or is he a player you need to coddle?

I don't mind if he's dropped because I think it would fire him up & put our other senior players on notice.

Is he droppable? Would it send a statement to the senior playing group to fire up? Would it help Papley or is he a player you need to coddle?

I don't mind if he's dropped because I think it would fire him up & put our other senior players on notice.
Had 9 score involvements ffs , 1 behind Heeney , Warner had 9 as well and Logan 7 , so must've done something okay .
We were all shit and arrogant paying no respect

0 tackles as a small forward, numerous complaints to the umpire when the ball was still live and a crucial set shot missed from 30m out late on.
41 tackles in total for the team . Hayward 0 as well and he's supposed to forward pressure , JJ 1.The games changed, it's quicker

Can win a match off his own boot. Plays in one of the hardest positions. One of the first picked every game. Madness to think of dropping him.

Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back