Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

paps1.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

messaged you.
Just hope it's better than it looks , 7 weeks to 1st final
fox tv sharing GIF by American Grit

My thought was a break

messaged you.
Just hope it's better than it looks , 7 weeks to 1st final
High grade ankle injuries range between 4-6 weeks. If they're suspecting something more morbid than that then i struggle to see how it's ankle related, unless it's broken.

Looked very innocuous too, and he was still able to bear weight some what. Looked fine walking in the moon boot. Completely weird morbid vibe around this one, scratching my head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way he landed looks like a tibia break/fracture down low near the ankle.
Not sure if I'm missing something but is there footage of him landing that I haven't seen? The footage they're showing is just him sort of shuffling backwards with no visual twist or impact what so ever

High grade ankle injuries range between 4-6 weeks. If they're suspecting something more morbid than that then i struggle to see how it's ankle related, unless it's broken.

Looked very innocuous too, and he was still able to bear weight some what. Looked fine walking in the moon boot. Completely weird morbid vibe around this one, scratching my head.
Morbid ! we f ing need him.

Morbid ! we f ing need him.
I'm talking about the injury itself. It was hard to see anything serious in the mechanism of his injury. Seeing that ankle injuries are roughly 4-6 weeks and finals is still 7 weeks ago - I would be happy with that. But the vibe is like he's out for the season or something.

I'm talking about the injury itself. It was hard to see anything serious in the mechanism of his injury. Seeing that ankle injuries are roughly 4-6 weeks and finals is still 7 weeks ago - I would be happy with that. But the vibe is like he's out for the season or something.
Paul Kelly sprinted off the field and he had an ACL

Not sure if I'm missing something but is there footage of him landing that I haven't seen? The footage they're showing is just him sort of shuffling backwards with no visual twist or impact what so ever
It looked like his foot bent upwards towards the front of leg which I've seen before with local footy where it's a low tibia break.

surely if they suspected a break they would give him crutches rather than allowing him to walk around in the moon boot

You would think so, if it's a break he wouldn't be half joking with Rampe on the bench rather in hospital. Gut feel it's the dreaded systemosis injury which has various gradings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back