Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

paps1.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Konstanty is in the think8ng. His defensive pressure has been good the last few times I have watched him and he seems to get around the ground a bit. Co Warner or Wicks is most likely I presume but there maybe a few others putting their hand up.
His foot is no good

His foot is no good
Feet injuries right now are a dime a dozen this time of year. Not much you can do with most of them as they just need rest. That is a shame for him.

Paps fined for running into a maggot
Wish he ran harder into him. One particular maggot should be fined for impersonating a maggot.

Lloyyyyyyd!
Kicked a beauty.

Lloyd is a dead eye dick actually.

Papley is very unique how he plays , no one is just doing the "Papley" role .

Will need a rejig that's where maybe a Campbell and Wicks combo do the role, maybe Mills play forward IDFK.

Paps makes the opposition nervous in a way no one else actually will at that size

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who will that player be? remember we arent just losing a quality small forward we are losing his impact in the middle as well.
How's that ? Most the time in the middle he is on skates and if he stands on his 2 feet hacks a kick forward the same way Parker has been pounded for no end. McInerney's fleet of foot and balance out of the middle is missed severely. Papley is stop gap as far as quality at centre bounce goes. Down a rotation is at worst the outcome there. He does his best work forward and that's where he will be missed. Has an incredible footy IQ and that will be missed terribly when you consider the 3 talls are so hit and miss. He creates out of nothing. Wicks is a great replacement pressure wise as he is superior to Papley in that measure but Papley is a game turning match winner and when on can't be quelled.

Last edited:
Would like to see Corey played in this role given that he seems really quick off the mark and seems to be more damaging on the offensive end than that of Wicks. Still think Wicks is a strong chance to get back into the sub role but would also like him to gain form in the 2s which he really hasn't done.

Would like to see Corey played in this role given that he seems really quick off the mark and seems to be more damaging on the offensive end than that of Wicks. Still think Wicks is a strong chance to get back into the sub role but would also like him to gain form in the 2s which he really hasn't done.

I think you have to bring Wicks in based on recent AFL time, kicked two a few weeks ago and back the game time in, with added responsibility.

If his fitness is up to scratch after the injury lay-off I can see Sheldrick come in to replace Papley. He’s not Papley but he has played a bit as a small forward, and he can provide some relief up forward.

I think Corey is better playing a bit further up the ground. He’s got good straight line speed but not sure about his evasion and ground ball work in the context of the small forward role. Though I guess he’ll be happy to play any role that keeps him in the team.

I think you have to bring Wicks in based on recent AFL time, kicked two a few weeks ago and back the game time in, with added responsibility.
And Warner kicked 1 as a substitute on the weekend in half a game. Wicks only has 10 goals from 14 games so i think its time we give Corey a go in that position and not just go straight back to Wicks especially if Papley's role in the side is to score goals

And Warner kicked 1 as a substitute on the weekend in half a game. Wicks only has 10 goals from 14 games so i think its time we give Corey a go in that position and not just go straight back to Wicks especially if Papley's role in the side is to score goals

Sorry I mean into the current side, Warner is already in

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back