Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

paps1.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

With a *** in his mouth
Shocked Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Bedders do you really think he'd have made any difference to that shit show on Saturday night?
Serious question.
Not at all , i'm talking in general as he's the one who gets us pumped up and kicks that goal that get's us going . Spoke to a legend last night and he said firstly we miss Tom

Not at all , i'm talking in general as he's the one who gets us pumped up and kicks that goal that get's us going . Spoke to a legend last night and he said firstly we miss Tom

Should have picked him in the 16 and 22 grand final then might have got us going ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random stat but Papley stacks up well against other small forwards of the modern era.

Total Goals after their first 5 x Seasons:

Kozzy PICKETT : 155 @ 1.50
Tom PAPLEY : 146 @ 1.47
Cyril RIOLI : 140 @ 1.32
Eddie BETTS : 123 @ 1.26
Izak RANKINE : 119 @ 1.47
Charlie CAMERON : 104 @ 1.23

Definitely.

That's the difference between a player like Warner and a player like Papley. Warner is an absolute weapon but usually needs the rest of the team firing around him to be effective.

Tom, however can turn the tide of a game on his own. He regularly kicks big goals against the flow of play or goes into the middle to give us a spark when we're losing the contest.

Not saying he's a better player than Warner, but he brings something completely different to the table that most other players don't

I agree that Papley adds energy that few others can. He really gets the team going with his energy, and can certainly create a goal out of nothing.

But Warner at his best has similar traits, he can generate goals out of nowhere, and similarly, his goals pump up the team.

Papley just adds that extra bit of electricity that seems to permeate throughout the team when he kicks a crucial goal (and celebrates accordingly).

But I'd have Warner right up there in terms of being able to give the team confidence, particularly when he's kicked a goal out of nowhere.

Papley does have a few more credits in the bank however. But Warner is definitely capable of lifting the team as well.

He is our most important player I reckon. He is crucial to the forward line structure not only as a crumber but also as a lead up and marking player. Add to this his spurts in the midfield, his passion and energy and his hand in a number of goals. Team lifting matchwinner in big games.

He is our most important player I reckon. He is crucial to the forward line structure not only as a crumber but also as a lead up and marking player. Add to this his spurts in the midfield, his passion and energy and his hand in a number of goals. Team lifting matchwinner in big games.
So good when someone understands footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back