Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

paps1.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
He, as the kids would say, has got that dog in him

Whatever that means.

His two no look handballs in to the laps of Hayward and Heeney were the kind of spark our fwd line has been missing the second half of the year.

that's the stuff that's often missed about papley
a lot of other teams' fans can't cop him because of his goal celebrations and outward displays of emotion but they overlook the things he does that his teammates love him for ...
it wasn't just the lookaway handball to hayward, papley had at least three key involvements in the lead-up to that goal ... and i still don't know how he managed to outposition two bigger giants players and get that handball to heeney ...

that's the stuff that's often missed about papley
a lot of other teams' fans can't cop him because of his goal celebrations and outward displays of emotion but they overlook the things he does that his teammates love him for ...
it wasn't just the lookaway handball to hayward, papley had at least three key involvements in the lead-up to that goal ... and i still don't know how he managed to outposition two bigger giants players and get that handball to heeney ...
For mine, play of the day.

He is one of our few who running around getting in the opponents face comes naturally.
Others seemed to get caught up trying to be aggro and tough, Paps is such a spark for the side .

the 1%ers yesterday were awesome.

If not for number 5 he would be getting more headlines.

Watching the match he seemed to be in better shape than before his injury and was ready to play. Just couldn’t get involved in the 1st quarter.

2 goals and 4 goal assists after quarter time tell of the difference he made up forward and the stupidity of Toby Greene (not for the first time) actions at quarter time awoke in Paps.

His impact in the last quarter was telling with a goal and 3 goal assists. Really high impact last quarter up there with Heeney, Lloyd and Campbell.

Absolutely terrific for a first game back after a significant injury. That 2 on 1 contest win was such a summary of his career - an ultimate competitor who never gives up despite a small likelihood of success.

I know plenty of opposition fans hate him for his 'antics' on the field (one bloke suggested to me he'd take Toby Greene on his team but not Tom Papley on 'character grounds'), but the bloke is champion footballer, that any team would take in a heartbeat.

I think Rowy is our true barometer, but if Papley plays well, it is rare we don't win. 2 more performances like the weekend and he will help add the ultimate prize to his resume. The one good thing of his layoff is he will be feeling fresh and ready to go very hard across the rest of the season.

I would absolutely hate Papley if I supported another team. He is non-stop in your face, he is niggly, he is ridiculously good, he is always one moment from taking the game away from you (even in his first game back after an injury), he does things no one his size should be able to do (they 2-1 then pass to Heeney was obscene), even when he celebrates he bashes through bigger opposition players who try to assert themselves over his fun.

And these are all the reason I f**king love Papley ❤️ 🤍 ❤️ 🤍 ❤️

I would absolutely hate Papley if I supported another team. He is non-stop in your face, he is niggly, he is ridiculously good, he is always one moment from taking the game away from you (even in his first game back after an injury), he does things no one his size should be able to do (they 2-1 then pass to Heeney was obscene), even when he celebrates he bashes through bigger opposition players who try to assert themselves over his fun.

And these are all the reason I f**king love Papley ❤️ 🤍 ❤️ 🤍 ❤️

best small forward in the game because he's so much more than just a small forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first part of today's episode of Paps' The Early Crow podcast is so insightful about his preparation and Saturday's final....

eg. there's mention of a car accident before the game

Can’t believe I’ve never seen one of these pods before ..so good!!
Quality questions and answers throughout.
Great to hear a player chat about a game without the ‘give nothing away/boring answer’ filter on.

There was always uncertainty around Papley's return given we weren't sure how fit he was, but what a return, that was Paps at his absolute best.

There's no doubting he's one of our most important players, particularly how he pumps the team up after a goal, but that performance was every bit of what I'd hoped, and more!!

He's absolutely a key to our premiership aspirations. I can't wait to see what else he has in store.

Loved the podcast as well. Thanks for sharing Adnico26Parker

I'm so glad we refused to trade him to Carlton. And even more glad that he copped that outcome on the chin and knuckled back down and made it work. Both his granddads played with the Bloods and he belongs with us. Hope he finishes his career a one club player. We are bloody lucky to have him! 😍🤩😍

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11 Tom Papley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back