Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Wells' 2 set shots that he should of nailed?

One person attacks Thomas and all the sheep jump on board because they don't understand the game and want someone to blame.

Wellsy does miss a few but he gets a few as well. With more time spent up forward I would back him in to get better at it and improve his goal kicking because with him it is not technique. Actually Wellsy has a beautiful technique and could become a regular goal contributor with more time spent in the forward half.

Thought his game was pretty good as was 2 of his last 3 last year when he was played a little higher up the ground.

Highlighting the negatives shows that he is not far off from being a gun.

LT is like the anti-Rioli the only thing people seem to remember is the 4 things he stuffed up.

Rd 22 and 24 last year he got about 20 touches about 10 inside 50s in both and kicked 2.3 and 2.2 in those games.

Clearly he is doing far more than people give him credit for. Not sure what actually counts as a pressure act but he is obviously not standing around.

I agree. And I apologise if I misinterpreted your original post.

Lindsay has the yips, this is not news.

Lindsay is not the reason we lost last night (this also is not news)

Having the yips means that he is going to kick some and miss others. Last year it got to a point where it was too much and he was dropped because of it. After 1 round we are not at that point yet.

I want him to stay in the side and do almost exactly what he did last night. Get a couple of goals every game.

I will take it a step further next week I think that we should feed him the ball as much as we can. We expect to win and win well, and once we are on top we should filter as much as we can through Lindsay.

Its confidence, a bag at AFL level may just help with that.

Anyone thats even thinking of blaming the loss on one of LTs missed shots is clueless.

There was another 10 pts we could have converted to goals and countless opportunities missed. Its unfair to pin the blame on 1 kick.

You can say Hamish missing after the siren is the cause, but why should he HAVE to go through the pressure of kicking after the siren for the game, we failed plain and simple.

There was another 10 pts we could have converted to goals and countless opportunities missed. Its unfair to pin the blame on 1 kick.
True. But it's also frustrating and deflating for the fans.........and, I would assume, the players....to see positive play setting up a set shot that then gets squandered by a bloke who clearly has the yips.

Petrie also has the yips, I might start a thread suggesting he's not up to it.
It's disappointing when blokes like Petrie & Wells & Harper miss set shots. But usually, they're 6 meters wide of the target, and it's a behind.

It's worse when Thomas misses, because he tends to shank it horribly ; as often as not, it's out on the full, or falls short from 30 metres.

It's the difference between a miss and a shocking miss.

LT was pretty good on sat nite. Plenty of effort. He's a difficult matchup for the opposition as he's deceptively strong and can hold his ground against much bigger opponents. Hence the number of "over the back" goals he gets.
As far as his set shot kicking......I know , I know. Looks to have gone backwards if that is possible.
Rather than risk "paralysis by analysis: which he is now surely suffering from, give him on simple piece of advice.

Try and kick everything thru post-high rather than steering 25m set shots which only travel 30m. Pick the bloke out in the crowd in row 5 of the 1st deck and hit him right on the bonce.

He kicks better when he does the Buddy wind up. Should just throw the technical bullsh_t out the window and just tell him to run in on and angle and slot it that way.

He kicks better when he does the Buddy wind up. Should just throw the technical bullsh_t out the window and just tell him to run in on and angle and slot it that way.

As if he were taking a field kick.

Your comment has merit. His set shot ball drop is still too close to his in-step and with a leg coming straight through with a bend in the knee (which is how he kicks it) there is still room for error. Which is why he pulls it to his right more often than not.

This is why I wish we had another Sammy Wright, because I'll tell you right now, he is close to our best set shot exponent outside Azza.

He's been good down back, but I still have reservations about where we should be playing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, I'm super positive about where Lindsay is at right now, so much so that I'm on the verge of declaring his goal kicking issues behind him.

The reason is his attitude during his last two set shots for goal.

One, from 40m out on an angle, that went through for a point, not missing by that much. As soon as he marked it, you could see he was solely focused on kicking for goal & nothing else. Last year's version would have been looking for options & anything else to do.

The other, he marked 15m out running with momentum towards an open goal. Immediately, he stopped & went back to kick a set shot from where last year could have been fairly labelled "The LT Death Zone". A man with the yips could so easily have kept running, skidded one through low & fast as he likes to do from time to time. Instead, there was no shirking the responsibility, straight through, no fuss other than a fistpump.

I think most agree he's a decent kick as long as the nerves don't take over. Despite the early OOF, I saw no signs of a haunted man still carrying his goal kicking demons with him. I'm looking forward to a big year from LT.

And one more thing, his set shot technique - NOTHING WRONG WITH IT! Its designed to cut out over thinking/complicating it, which is exactly what he needs. Seven steps walking, seven steps running, kick. There's no right way to do it, or everyone would be the same.

The whoopass has arrived!

Put your hands up if you know what an effective disposal is. And I am not asking you what you think it means, I want to know if you know what Champion Data consider to be an effective disposal.

I will openly admit that I have no idea what the definition of effective disposal is(in the champion data sense).

What I do know from watching last night is that there are still issues that were present last year. What I also know is that LT more than any of us wants them gone. There is talent, he needs confidence, as I said in an earlier post they should funnel as much through him next week as possible.

There is a lot of crap thrown towards LT in fact its easy for all of us to sit behind a keyboard or in the stands and say this player should and this player could. FFS last night the old bloke behind me said we should delist LT after his first shot on goal missed.

Right now he needs to be in the team.

Here is the complexity of the math I am looking at this with;

2.2 x 22 = 44.44 = one of the best small forwards in the league.

Time will tell?

geez im glad he got rid of the idea of rolling the ball in his hands on his approach.....many others notice that last year? hopefully its that easy of a fix. i was rapt with his game, big opportunity for him this year

LT is a work in progress(much like Bon's Roos in general) and players progress is often non-linear.
Neon Leon didn't become a consistent gun until he was 27.
Many had given up on Wells until last season and were proven wrong once and for all.
LT makes me want to tear out my eyes when he misses the lot from point blank range but I'm still reminded of his awesome potential every time he plays.
The chief criticism of him lies in his failure to capitalize on his many goal scoring opportunities. But most critics seem to ignore the fact that he continues to consistently generate these opportunities in significant numbers
He has the ability to play on most lines as a ball winner or a
playmaker and the defensive side of of his game is at the level you would expect of a player in his age bracket.
North doesn't have many true game breakers and he is one of them.
Watch his game against Richmond in the last round of 2011 and you'll see his genius as a damaging half forward.
I believe that this is his future. 1 goal and 7 or 8 exhilarating goal assists per game. Occasionally he'll kick a bag but this will not be the club's expectation or the barometer of his value
He's getting a game in the forward line right now because there are few at North who can match his brilliance as a ball winner up there
That will change and Lindsay will be an elite player in a superior structure.
Until then we've just got to suck it up

He should take a leaf out of W.Carey's book. Take the mark turn around after one step and boot it through the goals.

He thinks way too much before he kicks it as he shows that he can hit a man on the chest down the ground when he is on the run and not thinking too much about his kick.

I think he was great on the day.

Whilst the missed goals are mind-bendingly frustrating, Thomas brings a lot else to the Roos, plays tall and very good defensively.

People alwasy find a scapegoat - unfortuantely its Thomas at the moment. Stanton was the Dons - every time they lost it was his fault - now they love him!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back