Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I've removed about three pages of posts.

Please do not use this thread to speculate about Oliver's private life – medical or otherwise.

Regardless of the veracity of your rumour, or what you know/have heard, if it's not public knowledge, just don't post it.

I don't want to turn this place into Demonland, but if you can't see the potential harm that this sort of rumour-spreading can cause (regardless of your intentions), then perhaps it's best if you take a bit of a break.

Thanks.

Clayton Oliver in an Essendon jumper would be enough to turn me off football for life.

we're in a premiership window now though, don't want to lose a senior player for some kid who will s**t the bed in a big final, we have enough bedshitting players as it is.

You don't need experience to be clutch, you're either clutch or you're not. Age is irrelevant.

Clayton Oliver in an Essendon jumper would be enough to turn me off football for life.
Fortunately I can't see us accepting Dodorro's offer of pick 65 and a demand that we pay 80% of Oliver's wage

we're in a premiership window now though, don't want to lose a senior player for some kid who will s**t the bed in a big final, we have enough bedshitting players as it is.
Remind me how Langdon, Gawn, Fritsch and Viney were clutch in finals and didn't all shit the bed?

Steven May was our only real senior player to step away with pride from September.

Fortunately I can't see us accepting Dodorro's offer of pick 65 and a demand that we pay 80% of Oliver's wage

Exactly what I was thinking, that sewer rat is just sniffing around hoping for us to be desperate AF.

I
Well he does. By 26 Gaj was a 2 time flag winner, 3x Leigh Matthews winner, 4xAA and 2x BNF, 3x Coaches player of the year and just a better player. It's not even an argument
I said by 25, and their numbers are even at best. This season is a wipeout due to injury

Club has form for swiftly moving on players with substance/alcohol issues, see Watts and Hogan.

...but we also brought in May, Bennell and Hunter so who the hell knows!
Yet we keep coaches with the same issues?

All good - welcome to your opinion of course and I'm not trying to be antagonistic on your board. But I'd simply ask which part of my logic do you disagree with?
The plus is his undeniable quality and then the minuses (IMHO) are his age, contract status, recent injuries/history/estrangement from the club. On balance I think he's worth 6-10. What do you think he's worth?
You’re a twit.

He is in his prime, and a proven commodity.

How is that worth one midround pick, that is speculative to succeed?

Would you take pick 7-10 for Mark Ricciuto at his prime?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion but I reckon Oliver at this stage is 'only' worth a pick between 6-10.

I say that knowing he's a bonafide gun who's the quality of player you dream of getting from a pick 1-3 at the draft...but he's 26 so has probably 5-7 seasons left (I don't see a Pendlebury-like mid 30s career in his future) so any buyer will probably get 100-150 games out of him at best (assuming no major injuries).

Also at this stage I think a 7 contract at (say) $1m/year is a net detractor from his value assuming any new club would need to take on the entirety of that. If he had 3x$1m left on a contract it'd be a completely different equation but I think the Dees have overcapitalised on that deal.

Finally from the 'where there's smoke there's fire' files I think the facts of this season plus now the associated rumours also knock a bit off his value.

If I was the Dees and I could effectively swap out Oliver and get Reid then I'd do it in a heartbeat.
1696397083601.gif

Tom Morris article below talks about Adelaide and Essendon having enough draft capital to get Clarry. Talks about them having their first rounder (8 Essendon and 9 Adelaide) as well as picks in the 20’s. What kind of drugs is this guy on?

Gold Coast can give us pick 4 and Ben King thanks. Anything less than that sort of return and these muppets can GOAGF.

All good - welcome to your opinion of course and I'm not trying to be antagonistic on your board. But I'd simply ask which part of my logic do you disagree with?
The plus is his undeniable quality and then the minuses (IMHO) are his age, contract status, recent injuries/history/estrangement from the club. On balance I think he's worth 6-10. What do you think he's worth?
He is in his prime for the next 4 years. He is the difference between 1-3 premierships for a side in the window. He is fit, meticulous re his training, proven, and a top 5 midfielder easily when on song.

Melbourne taking 6-10 is a disservice to its members and club holistically. The guy is literally worth pick 1. You’re basically saying take Harley Reid and give us Clayton Oliver. Reid is 4 years away from being in the zone where he is maybe an elite mid. Oliver is already there.

He is literally worth pick 1.

Tom Morris article below talks about Adelaide and Essendon having enough draft capital to get Clarry. Talks about them having their first rounder (8 Essendon and 9 Adelaide) as well as picks in the 20’s. What kind of drugs is this guy on?

Gold Coast can give us pick 4 and Ben King thanks. Anything less than that sort of return and these muppets can GOAGF.

Pick 8 and one in the 20’s? That’s just bait…

The whole he's 26 so he only has 7 years left. That's multiple premierships if the right team takes him. He's absolutely worth a top 5 pick and a top 10 pick. You're getting a guaranteed 30 disposal contested footy winner. Pick 7 is what you pay for someone like Rankine whos all potential.
He is literally worth pick one.

Oliver has had one significant injury in his career, a bad hamstring and that's it, he's as reliable as you can get. Averaged 30 disposals, 6 tackles and 7 clearances a game over his career. This year in the games he did play he had even better numbers. You'd be lucky if there was one kid per draft who has that level of performance. As far as his contract goes, that's what the stars of the game are paid.

Despite all the rumours on bigfooty and social media the main point of contention that is being reported comes down to how Clayton believes his hammy was handled by the club vs how the club believes Oliver handled it.

We will absolutely get a better offer than pick 6-10.
Which makes me think, is Selwyn Griffith a bit of a dud?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back