Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Where he comes back in will be very interesting if we are at full strength.

Assume we don’t want to change our team balance, an argument could be made that Mills is our second best player across several positions, but perhaps not a clear standout in any one. For example:

• Rowbotton - stronger defensively
  • Adams - better at get ball then get ball out, and faster
  • Heeney - better user and more dynamic
  • Macca / Gulden / Florent - better and more creative kicks
  • Lloyd - elite runner (even by Mills standards)
  • Wicks - faster and better at putting on pressure
  • Roberts - better kick
  • Robbie Fox - can play taller
This is not to say that Mills is not a better players than most of these; it’s only to show that team balance would need to change (and we would probably become either slightly slower or have slightly lower disposal - although better defensively, better at the contest and better leadership).

I am attracted to the idea of Mills being our Mr Fixit, and roaming to wherever the team needs him most. I reckon starting in halfback would enable Mills to show his leadership and also see the opportunities to inject himself. There will always be one other team mate having an off day or facing an awkward mismatch with the opposition - or a weakness in the opposition that Mills could exploit.

On this basis, I think it is Roberts that makes way, noting we have several players who can play halfback to enable Mills to move around. If Roberts is in fire, then maybe it is the fantastic Mr Fox (who would be very j lucky).
Mills would walk into the team ahead of Roberts, Fox and Adams without a second thought..
Think people are forgetting just how good Mills is on the half back line or in the centre (or even on the wing)

Mills would walk into the team ahead of Roberts, Fox and Adams without a second thought..
Think people are forgetting just how good Mills is on the half back line or in the centre (or even on the wing)

Yep I mean Mills best walks in ahead of about 20 other players in the team.

No one guaranteed a spot but the solo
skipper is closest to being that way one would think

Did Ralphy use words like “it’s fairly clear” and “if he is fit, which is unlikely” haha??😛
If I remember correctly it was something like: "I asked the Swans if he might come back via the VFL and the response I got was 'no, not Callum Mills'". Seemed to be making clear that it's a completely different kettle of fish to Parker.

If I remember correctly it was something like: "I asked the Swans if he might come back via the VFL and the response I got was 'no, not Callum Mills'". Seemed to be making clear that it's a completely different kettle of fish to Parker.
I wonder if maybe the Swans meant that Mills wouldn't have to wait in the VFL for a spot to open up once he's fit, not that he wouldn't have to build his fitness in the VFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if maybe the Swans meant that Mills wouldn't have to wait in the VFL for a spot to open up once he's fit, not that he wouldn't have to build his fitness in the VFL?
That could be it. Seems almost be insane that we'd bring him straight in to play his first game of footy in 9 months, especially if we're still sitting on top with a healthy squad.

Where he comes back in will be very interesting if we are at full strength.

Assume we don’t want to change our team balance, an argument could be made that Mills is our second best player across several positions, but perhaps not a clear standout in any one. For example:

• Rowbotton - stronger defensively
  • Adams - better at get ball then get ball out, and faster
  • Heeney - better user and more dynamic
  • Macca / Gulden / Florent - better and more creative kicks
  • Lloyd - elite runner (even by Mills standards)
  • Wicks - faster and better at putting on pressure
  • Roberts - better kick
  • Robbie Fox - can play taller
This is not to say that Mills is not a better players than most of these; it’s only to show that team balance would need to change (and we would probably become either slightly slower or have slightly lower disposal - although better defensively, better at the contest and better leadership).

I am attracted to the idea of Mills being our Mr Fixit, and roaming to wherever the team needs him most. I reckon starting in halfback would enable Mills to show his leadership and also see the opportunities to inject himself. There will always be one other team mate having an off day or facing an awkward mismatch with the opposition - or a weakness in the opposition that Mills could exploit.

On this basis, I think it is Roberts that makes way, noting we have several players who can play halfback to enable Mills to move around. If Roberts is in fire, then maybe it is the fantastic Mr Fox (who would be very j lucky).
Great analysis RedBlood … the only one I slightly disagree with is Lloyd - I think Cal’s running ability is equal to his, and IF it were to be a choice between just them two, then I’d definitely choose Cal.

BUT such is the versatility of our team, it could come down to any of Roberts, Fox, Lloyd and perhaps even Adams to make way for the captain.

One of the things Horse was keen to do to improve our chances of winning the premiership was to bring in some additional experience as well as a (potentially) top ruck in Grundy. Adams was definitely for experience as will as inside skills. JJ with his 60+ games and being around a premiership is a cherry on top. Plus of course our guys getting another year under their belts.
For sure he will bring back Mills and Parker when they're fit enough. My guess is we don't see Fox or Roberts again in the 22 unless there's an injury.
Yes on Mills (of course), but no on Parker … think the selectors have already made it clear he’s no longer a best 23 player, but he’ll be a very good inclusion if/when we have injuries.

That could be it. Seems almost be insane that we'd bring him straight in to play his first game of footy in 9 months, especially if we're still sitting on top with a healthy squad.

It would seem odder still to have already told him too, like maybe if he trained the house down and dominated everyone in the week you go stuff it play him, but before he is even fully healed they promise?

Seems unlikely

And trotting out the line that you need to earn your spot as we did with Parker.

Mills will have been recovering from a calf problem for up to 2 months. Supposedly his shoulder is fully recovered, or near enough.
I can't imagine him going straight into seniors without at least a game or two in VFL to fully test the calf and get some match fitness unless we were incredibly desperate.

And what is that !
Mids aren't going to be able to protect the backs every game. We lack backmen depth and maybe height ie McCartin out Francis in, Fox out Francis in, Rampe out Francis in or Francis not cutting the mustard put an undersized Roberts. Should be obvious from watching a few of the last games that it would be better to have Mills down back than Francis, Roberts and Fox (although I thought fox was good). Its just an opinion but having Mills down back would improve the defense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back