Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

I really like Mills on the wing. Just give him the keys to play wherever and do whatever he sees fit, and the wing best allows that. If we need a particular area strengthened - defence, inside mids, forward line - we can always just deploy him there anyway.

It's weird that when the history books write about our 2024 premiership, our biggest weapon from it won't appear til the third act.

Adnico26Parker posted this article in the Logan thread;

Excerpt showing terrific leadership by Mills;

Earlier this season, well before the Swans went on their 10-game winning streak to announce themselves as premiership favourites in 2024, six of their players sat around a table for lunch.

James Rowbottom, Errol Gulden, Ollie Florent, Will Hayward and Logan McDonald were joined by club captain Callum Mills for an open and honest conversation about their futures.
Aside from Mills, each of the players was off-contract at the end of this season. For most, big-money moves were on the table if they wanted to leave the comfort they had found in Sydney.

“I think Millsy organised that lunch and it was great to get some things out on the table that we were probably all thinking.
“We had that lunch a few months ago and we spoke about how special we think this group of players is and how important it would be for us to stay together because of the things we think we could achieve as a team and individually.
“It’s not only the boys showing their commitment to the club, but the club’s faith in us that they trust us to help take the club forward and win games of footy.
“You need things to align to get a deal completed. For me, I think it was valuing success. I think Sydney is the best place that I’m going to be able to get that. They’re gonna help me develop into the type of player that I want to be, and it’s hard to turn your back on that.”

G'day Chad, Millsy here, fancy a lunch on me?

Adnico26Parker posted this article in the Logan thread;

Excerpt showing terrific leadership by Mills;

Earlier this season, well before the Swans went on their 10-game winning streak to announce themselves as premiership favourites in 2024, six of their players sat around a table for lunch.

James Rowbottom, Errol Gulden, Ollie Florent, Will Hayward and Logan McDonald were joined by club captain Callum Mills for an open and honest conversation about their futures.
Aside from Mills, each of the players was off-contract at the end of this season. For most, big-money moves were on the table if they wanted to leave the comfort they had found in Sydney.

“I think Millsy organised that lunch and it was great to get some things out on the table that we were probably all thinking.
“We had that lunch a few months ago and we spoke about how special we think this group of players is and how important it would be for us to stay together because of the things we think we could achieve as a team and individually.
“It’s not only the boys showing their commitment to the club, but the club’s faith in us that they trust us to help take the club forward and win games of footy.
“You need things to align to get a deal completed. For me, I think it was valuing success. I think Sydney is the best place that I’m going to be able to get that. They’re gonna help me develop into the type of player that I want to be, and it’s hard to turn your back on that.”

G'day Chad, Millsy here, fancy a lunch on me?
Bloody hell, what's all this dust floating around?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly feels like we haven't got this right. Full game at AFL level then too sore to play the week after, then back at AFL playing a full game and barely getting a kick.
Surely that's why he should've played 40mins of VFL first week so he wasn't too sore and could build up his minutes and find some touch/form week 2 and then week 3 if needed.

We had 7 weeks to get him into form which was plenty of time, feels like we've mangled that a little bit. Still 4 weeks + a bye which is still a bit of time but a call needs to be made what gets him into the best form possible. A week (or 2) in the VFL to find some ball would still be the best option imo, but I don't work with him everyday so if he's fit enough for AFL games, fine, but then he's fit enough to play well at AFL level.

Besides Melican/Parker he had the least amount of time on ground by some way for Sydney.

We are trying to manage his time but he needs to manage his form.

We were dominant without him we cannot carry so many out of form players in addition to trying to wedge in Mills.

I feel like we planned & prepared Mills' return around the team and form we had a few months ago, not the team and form we currently have.

This is not to say the coaches wouldn't have expected a form slump to come after being 13-1, but I doubt they foresaw such a dramatic slump, combined with such a massive sudden injury toll.

The plan to "ease Mills back in" has now become a situation where we need every inclusion to put up or GTFO because so many alarm bells are going off.

I feel like we planned & prepared Mills' return around the team and form we had a few months ago, not the team and form we currently have.

This is not to say the coaches wouldn't have expected a form slump to come after being 13-1, but I doubt they foresaw such a dramatic slump, combined with such a massive sudden injury toll.

The plan to "ease Mills back in" has now become a situation where we need every inclusion to put up or GTFO because so many alarm bells are going off.

Yeah but cmon, I expected at least something from him, he looks like he has barely played football before, fitness lacking sure, but thought he could add something and not sure that was unreasonable for the coaches to expect

Yeah but cmon, I expected at least something from him, he looks like he has barely played football before, fitness lacking sure, but thought he could add something and not sure that was unreasonable for the coaches to expect
He looks like someone who is playing his first few games after nearly twelve months out of the game. That's usually done against lesser opposition in the VFL. And there's a reason that is how it usually goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back