Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

agreed he had a very very good/great 2022 season but apart from that he's just been good but not great

just my opinion but i think hes a bit vanilla but you need handy reliable players in the side

Each to their own, he is just a favourite of mine I have to admit

From the article:

He commenced a full training block on Tuesday, where he was seen launching into tackling pads and participating in a main session.

While he confirmed he’s not even close to being ready for this week’s game against the Giants, Mills didn’t give an exact suggestion of when he would get to play his first game as the club’s sole captain.

“I won’t be available this week but things are going well,” Mills said. “I am training fully. I’m going to have a bit of a training block and reassess after a few weeks.

“My shoulder’s been sweet, been doing that for a while now so I don’t have any dramas.

“You’d love to be out there as much as possible. But from the club’s perspective, we’re in a good spot. We’re playing pretty good footy but we’ve also got even more improvement in us which we’re really looking forward to.”

The Swans’ current centre bounce set-up is Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner and James Rowbottom alongside Brodie Grundy. While Adams, Errol Gulden, James Jordon and Justin McInerney have all been able to rotate through the wings and stoppages with ease.

It means Mills’ most likely position is set to be off half back, a position he is familiar with after playing there in the early years of his career.

However, he said that conversation is still a few weeks away with Longmire wanting to ensure he gets through the training block before talking about reintegration.

“We haven’t spoken about that actually. We just want to get the training under my belt and we’ll reassess where the team is at and where I’m at at that stage,” Mills said.

From the article:

He commenced a full training block on Tuesday, where he was seen launching into tackling pads and participating in a main session.

While he confirmed he’s not even close to being ready for this week’s game against the Giants, Mills didn’t give an exact suggestion of when he would get to play his first game as the club’s sole captain.

“I won’t be available this week but things are going well,” Mills said. “I am training fully. I’m going to have a bit of a training block and reassess after a few weeks.

“My shoulder’s been sweet, been doing that for a while now so I don’t have any dramas.

“You’d love to be out there as much as possible. But from the club’s perspective, we’re in a good spot. We’re playing pretty good footy but we’ve also got even more improvement in us which we’re really looking forward to.”

The Swans’ current centre bounce set-up is Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner and James Rowbottom alongside Brodie Grundy. While Adams, Errol Gulden, James Jordon and Justin McInerney have all been able to rotate through the wings and stoppages with ease.

It means Mills’ most likely position is set to be off half back, a position he is familiar with after playing there in the early years of his career.

However, he said that conversation is still a few weeks away with Longmire wanting to ensure he gets through the training block before talking about reintegration.

“We haven’t spoken about that actually. We just want to get the training under my belt and we’ll reassess where the team is at and where I’m at at that stage,” Mills said.
My guess given the bolded part is he will be back against North as he will be close for the game against the Saints or might play a half in the VFL that week and then back in for the North game.

From the article:

So another 4-5 weeks. It’s like dog years with this injury.

Fox will come into the 23 for Campbell.

Mills will come in for a very unlucky player (sadly it’ll probably be Roberts 🤷‍♂️).

Parker won’t get into the 23 unless there’s an injury or two.
I agree for the most part, but would think Parker would be back in the 23 ahead of Fox.

Fox is a better utility-type player, but Parker is a better forward, and obviously a better mid. Fox can play defence, Parker can't.

There's pros and cons each way. I'd personally find it hard to leave Parker out of the 23 for Fox.

Is it a bit odd we went to solo captain and didnt just leave it a year?
Yeah, given his absence, you'd want the experience of someone like Park... oh.

Funny, there was a period where all 3 of our co-captains were not available. But yeah, definitely seems like a bit of an illogical decision.

But interestingly enough. Parker appeared likely to have a bit of a tough time breaking back into the side, surely that would have been harder to uphold if Parks was still co-captain.

Yeah, given his absence, you'd want the experience of someone like Park... oh.

Funny, there was a period where all 3 of our co-captains were not available. But yeah, definitely seems like a bit of an illogical decision.

But interestingly enough. Parker appeared likely to have a bit of a tough time breaking back into the side, surely that would have been harder to uphold if Parks was still co-captain.

Parker and Rampe weren't injured at the time we made the announcement IIRC? Might be wrong.

Guess we didn't know how long Mills was out for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a bit odd we went to solo captain and didnt just leave it a year?

Nope. Several of us argued Luke and Dane should move to mentoring roles.

Had you told mid-July is Mills return I would have thought that is too late in the season.

Still that gives him 6ish rounds to get back into the team before September. Truely exciting to get such a valuable player into our squad so late in the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back